Hmm... my suspicious mind says that was a bit too quick.

I'm betting either someone goofed when checking the restraints prior to lift off or...

the Guest fessed up that they finagled the restraints in the first place.

More likely #1.

Still... it's a bloody good thing the ding-dong that did this didn't attempt it AFTER lift off. Regardless of which row you're in, it's still a pretty long way down!

From Screamscape. Take this all with a grain of salt as they seem to have missed some fairly big announcements of official info lately, so I'm really questioning how good their sources really are (even more than usual)...

...a man and his daughter got on board, had their belts checked, and somehow just before take-off changed their minds about riding and both freed themselves from the ride. They at least had the good sense to get clear of the ride as it went into motion, and a CM spotted them immediately and E-Stopped the ride.

All the loading and safety systems and procedures were put under the microscope to determine not only what happened, but also how to prevent it from happening again. While the rides did reopen the following day, word is there are new belt checking procedures, security camera angles have been changed, more cameras are on the way, and unfortunately, the belt straps are going to be changed in the near future. From what is being said, the new version of the belts will feature a redesigned center strap (the one normally only used for small children) in which every single rider will now be required to use it. Look for the new straps to arrive in about a month or so on both coasts.

http://www.screamscape.com/html/wdw_-_epcot.htm#General

"While the rides did reopen the following day, word is there are new belt checking procedures, security camera angles have been changed, more cameras are on the way, and unfortunately, the belt straps are going to be changed in the near future"

We were just there and I can tell you with absolute certainty that there are NO new belt checking procedures.

Yeah... like I said. Their info these days is sketchy at best.

Figured I'd post just in case there was a scrap of truth in there.

The hilarious thing is the part I didn't include where they apparently didn't know WHICH Soarin' the incident occurred at - Epcot or DL. Never mind that the info is everywhere (including here) and came straight from Disney.

They also were completely unaware that Soarin is now open until 10pm - which Disney themselves announced would be happening when Test Track closed.

I actually think that Screamscape finds a topic and makes up stuff to go with it.

In their recent story regarding the inevitable monorail expansion, they wrote that all the buses at WDW run on compressed natural gas CNG.

Where did they come up with that? They had to of made it up to fit in with their story because all buses at WDW run on diesel fuel.