Anyone else planning to scrap this weekend?

I will try to post some photos when the weekend is over!

Please do!  I'd love to see your work!

Ah, Kim, you have the expression, I bet you could learn to use SCAL too!

The cost of SCAL is about $60, but you NEVER HAVE to buy another Cartridge again!

Any font you have on your computer you can cut.

Most any image you can cut.

You can download a trial of SCAL, and I think it is active for 10 days, and you can cut whatever, BUT it will put three cuts right across the middle of your image or font.... that is their "watermark"... so you can see it will cut your image, but the trial will make it useless.

check out this link for things cut with either SCAL or MTC: 

www.svgcuts.com

They have a lot of free svg files that cut awesomely.

They also have a great help section with lots of tutorials on there.

And of course lots of svg collections that you can purchase.

For a forum to ask questions, go to the SCAL forum, they folks are awesome.

I don't usually purchase much, but the paper crafting is what I wish I had more time to explore.

Thanks for the info!  I'll make sure to check that out when I get a chance.  Sounds great!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are a couple pages i did last weekend. the pics are from our easter trip 2010.  sorry, i didn't use my cricut cause we were havin' puter problems.  other than when i go to crops i always use my cricut on the computer.  i love welding my words,etc.  i miss it at crops and one day will probably get a gypsy so i can do more when i don't have the puter available to me.

PICT0020-2.jpgPICT0021.jpg

PICT0019.jpg  pict0018-3.jpg

i love my cricut.  my friends here in the northwoods and i do crops a couple times during the winter.  gets us out of the house and we have a great time.  a few of the girls at the crops walk down to one of the bars and bring their drinks back.  we have a great time and if you want to get some pages done find a crop and go have some fun...

camera.gif

Still trying to figure out my Cricut (and Gypsy for that matter...that things a piece of  :wiz:)...I'm determined to make t's with vinyl for our trip...just need a day to sit down and do it!

I use SCAL, and never had a need or desire to check out MTC.

But, both are similar and of course there is a learning curve for both. 

And I liked the challenge of learning the software. so for me it was fit.  :rofl2:

I do not do much "designing" in SCAL, but I use inkscape to design.

To design with SCAL, you would import the image, then trace it.  then the image is in scal and is a scal file.

You do the same type of thing with inkscape, but it gives me more control to create a cleaner end product.

Inkscape creates svg files.  You can import the svg files into scal.

If you find an svg file, those can be cut with MTC or SCAL.

That is the VERY basics.

The SCAL forum is VERY friendly and helpful.. they do stay on task, and there is not a lot of banter  :rofl2:, but that is not why those folks are there for, but still a great forum.

And here is a great resource I have found with disney svg files.  Some are cleaner than others:

http://reddyrd5.blogspot.com/

I bought SCAL after I got my Expression. I got the Windows version so I could use with DH's laptop in my sewing room. He ended up buying a new Mac and sold his windows computer so there went SCAL. We don't have a windows computer in the house now so I'm going to have to re-invest in the Mac version. Too bad they won't let you buy it for just a little more since I already have the other version.

And I finally got my Gypsy to work after messing with it for hours on Sunday. Got my 5 free downloads of cartridges so now just have to find the time to make some new designs!

I use SCAL, and never had a need or desire to check out MTC.

But, both are similar and of course there is a learning curve for both. 

And I liked the challenge of learning the software. so for me it was fit.  :banana:

I do not do much "designing" in SCAL, but I use inkscape to design.

To design with SCAL, you would import the image, then trace it.  then the image is in scal and is a scal file.

You do the same type of thing with inkscape, but it gives me more control to create a cleaner end product.

Inkscape creates svg files.  You can import the svg files into scal.

If you find an svg file, those can be cut with MTC or SCAL.

That is the VERY basics.

The SCAL forum is VERY friendly and helpful.. they do stay on task, and there is not a lot of banter  :o, but that is not why those folks are there for, but still a great forum.

And here is a great resource I have found with disney svg files.  Some are cleaner than others:

http://reddyrd5.blogspot.com/

I bought SCAL after I got my Expression. I got the Windows version so I could use with DH's laptop in my sewing room. He ended up buying a new Mac and sold his windows computer so there went SCAL. We don't have a windows computer in the house now so I'm going to have to re-invest in the Mac version. Too bad they won't let you buy it for just a little more since I already have the other version.

And I finally got my Gypsy to work after messing with it for hours on Sunday. Got my 5 free downloads of cartridges so now just have to find the time to make some new designs!

Keep your eye on their website because they sometimes sell SCAL for half-price.  I got mine for $35 on Black Friday.  Of course, I haven't even tried to use it yet!

SCAL lets you cut anything?  but, is it anything you have that you can load up on the computer or anything that you can find on the computer, too?

Here are a couple of my favorite pages in my little Fort Fiends album.

the 2009 i did on the cricut.

PICT0045-1.jpg

PICT0047-2.jpg

pict0046-1.jpg

i wish i would of shadowed the letters on these two pages.  i did the letters and the mickey icons on the cricut on this one.

PICT0048-1.jpg

SCAL will let you cut any font already on your computer.  And you can shadow any font too.

Also, you can cut most any image you find on line, with a slight learning curve, you could do any paper piecing you want. 

the easiest way is to find a coloring book page that you can print out.  You can use that coloring page and create a paper piecing that way.

And I love your papges.  I like that 2009.

I will need to take photos and upload my pages from the last few weekends (tho on those pages I did mainly cartridge cutouts because I had access to a TON of carts at the crop).

But I can show you some of my SCAL creations too :-)

'bout time, holly!  j/k. 

dogcarbon i would love to see some of your pages.  i wish i could post some of the pages from dh's book.  i did one of all the cars we've owned.  did most of the pages in the cars theme.  but, i put it somewhere and i can't find it.  been gone for almost 2 yrs. :)

i know it is around somewhere and the two year mark is normally when i find stuff again. lol

Love your pages. I downloaded Make the Cut and tried working with Snarky not east. I am going to download the trial version of SCAL it looks a little easy. The thing I read was that MTC has free upgrades and SCAL doesn't. I will see how I feel after I try it.

BTW I love all my cricut carts, but do I use them noooooooo, I need to make some time to do something for me. Maybe If I stayed home and didn't go camping I could do something.  :rofl2:

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite page of the girls-Thelma & Louise

PICT0036-1.jpg

Louise and Duke and some of her other pups in this one.

PICT0040-1.jpg

A friend came to the Bichon Bash that we hold for rescue.  She competes with her dog Kirby in the dancing competitions.  He is a rescue she took in and kept.  This was a little dance that they demonstrated for us.

PICT0026.jpgPICT0027.jpg

My favorite page of the girls-Thelma & Louise

PICT0036-1.jpg

Louise and Duke and some of her other pups in this one.

PICT0040-1.jpg

A friend came to the Bichon Bash that we hold for rescue.  She competes with her dog Kirby in the dancing competitions.  He is a rescue she took in and kept.  This was a little dance that they demonstrated for us.

PICT0026.jpgPICT0027.jpg

Great pages!  I went to a crop yesterday and was there for almost 6 hours...I only got one two-page spread done.  I swear I'm the slowest scrapbooker!!!

i did a lot because i got there later.  the girls were there at 9am and i didn't get there until 5pm.  so, they were done talking by the time i arrived. 

whistling.gif

i will be there bright and early next month.  it would be so cool to do a disney crop with all the fiends.  could you imagine all the fun we could have.

happydance.gif

• 1 month later...

I'm a scrapbooker too, but I went totally digital a few years ago. There's so much free stuff out there to take advantage of. Plus you can design your own papers and embellishments.

Not my greatest work, but here's a layout I did for my birthday a few years ago:

forweb60th.jpg

Digital scrapbooking is quicker, faster, and a lot less expensive ... you only have to pay for your photo books. I get mine from Artscow, and they are nearly always running specials.

• 1 month later...