Sundaes at Hollywood Scoops - Disney's Hollywood Studios

From the Disney Food Blog...

Review: Unexpected Sundaes at Hollywood Scoops

May 22nd, 2012 by AJ.

Beneath the Tower of Terror’s ominous shadow at Disney’s Hollywood Studios in Walt Disney World, you’ll find the fun blue and pink sign for Hollywood Scoops Ice Cream!

Hollywood-Scoops-600x450.jpg

Now, after seeing the menu recently, I could NOT believe I’d never tried the APPLE CRISP SUNDAE!! Did you know that was there and not tell me?!? icon_wink.gif

I love all things apple crisp, so I couldn’t wait to high-tail it over there and snag this snack on my next trip!

Atmosphere

This little ice cream stand at the corner of Sunset Ranch Market channels art deco retro Hollywood in style and decor.

The lines here are often long, but since it’s one of the only places around where you can get your hand-scooped ice cream fix, it’s usually worth the wait.

Hollywood-Scoops-2-465x625.jpg

Eats

I begged Matt from Studios Central to meet me in DHS (what better way to explore Hollywood Studios food than with the expert?), and we decided to sample both the Brownie Sundae and that Apple Crisp treasure.

At least I was hoping it was going to be a treasure. (Cue ominous, dramatic music here…)

Brownie Sundae

The Brownie Sundae looked great. A huge brownie cuddled with vanilla bean ice cream, blanketed in HOT hot fudge and some serious whipped cream? Awesome.

And if you’re a brownie and hot fudge sundae lover, this is definitely for you. The hot fudge is thick and super-sweet, and complements the creaminess of the ice cream well (especially when that ice cream gets a little melty). The brownie was not at all dry, which is always the big fear when you do Theme Park brownies…

The portion is pretty large, however, so if you’re looking to share, one sundae should suffice.

Brownie-Sundae-600x607.jpg

Brownie Sundae

On to the coveted Apple Crisp!! The sundae is served with no whipped cream or cherry; instead, it’s topped with caramel sauce and streusel! Fancy.

But, of course, I was a little underwhelmed when I saw it, and and I asked them to add some whipped cream to make it a bit more photogenic.

Ahem. Seriously. This is what happened next…

Apple-Crisp-600x502.jpg

Apple Crisp

Ha ha ha!! Photogenic? Check! icon_wink.gif

Anyway, on to the review! Unfortunately, this was clearly canned apple filling, which meant that — even piping hot — it was a little “gummy.”

I did, however, really enjoy streusel, which was like a sweet, crushed up pie crust. I think I would have preferred a more cinnamon-butter-oatmealish topping, but honestly I was just impressed that they’d gotten as far as the streusel at a counter-service spot!

Apple-Crisp-close-up-600x400.jpg

Apple Crisp Close-Up

The ice cream was great, and if you’re OK with the canned apple filling, you’ll like this.

Another point to note: the apple crisp was served very hot. Take care as you transport your molten apple dessert once you purchase it, and prepare for your ice cream to be all but melted in short order.

Both sundaes sell for $5.19. Other ice cream flavors here include Chocolate, Orange Sherbet, Strawberry, Cookies & Cream, Mint Chocolate Chip, Butter Pecan, and Fat-Free No-Sugar Added Vanilla.

Overall

If you’re in the mood for ice cream or a sundae and don’t have time to sit down anywhere, this is a good bet; though I might choose the cheaper homemade ice cream sandwich here instead from time to time.

And if you’re torn between ice cream and another type of dessert, don’t forget that Starring Rolls and Sweet Spells are just down the street, where you could spend less money and get a Butterfinger Cupcake or Carrot Cake Cookie (respectively).

Will these sundaes be on your list for the next visit? Leave a comment below and let us know your thoughts!

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2012/05/22/review-unexpected-sundaes-at-hollywood-scoops/