Looking through some old photo's from my great aunt, this news paper clipping was found.

IMAG1047.jpg

Which got me looking and found this online...

In 1993, the Disney company began seriously considering opening up a third American resort complex. This one was to be located in northeastern Virginia, on an area of roughly 3,000 acres. Like Port Disney, this park would be educational, although as opposed to concentrating on the sea, the Virginian park would hold a theme of American history. Thus, the idea for Disney’s America was born.

Disney_america.jpg

© Disney

Close but no Cigar:Out of the three Disney parks that never were, Disney’s America by far came the closest to becoming a reality.

At a time when the project was still in motion seven themed lands were planned. A Civil War era village would serve as the hub of the park, much like Main Street USA in the classic Disneyland-style parks. President’s Square would be a land where guests of all ages could meet every President of the United States of America, with a little help from Disney’s Audio-Animatronics. A more serious area of the park, Civil War Fort, would show one of the darkest periods of American history, including a recreation of the famous Monitor and Merrimac Naval Battle.

To lighten things up a bit, We the People takes place in a large building made to look like Ellis Island. In this festive land, park guests could experience different music, foods and other pieces of the many cultures that make up America today. Native America goes back to the earliest known time in American history, when our native ancestors ruled the world before all the European explorers entered the New World. Located in this land would be a thrilling white-water rafting ride. Enterprise was to greatly resemble a factory town and featured perhaps Disney’s America’s most thrilling ride, Industrial Revolution. Lastly, Victory Field shows exactly what U.S. soldiers on the battlefield experienced.

Of the 3,000 acres Disney had planned to build on, Disney’s America itself would take up 1,200. Although the aforementioned lands were about as detailed as plans got over the year or two the park was worked on, some indefinite long-term plans were considered. As with all Disney properties, numerous hotels would have been added along with a golf course and plenty of open, environment-friendly space for the benefit of the surrounding area.

Disneysamericamap.jpg

© Disney

Uncharted Territory:Virginia would be the third state to host its own full-fledged Disney resort, following California and Florida.

However, all of this would not come easily. Much land would have to be ripped up and miles of new pipes, electrical wires and others would possibly damage the surrounding land. Since most of Virginia is known for its history, many groups fought against Disney’s America. The most notable of these groups was Project Historic America, led by Shelby Foote. After much convincing by numerous historic preservation groups, Michael Eisner cancelled the project on September 28, 1994.

On the other hand, not all were against the new Disney theme park and many other counties across Virginia and West Virginia would be welcome to host the new resort. When Bluefield, West Virginia offered the Disney company land behind the airport, officials claimed that not only would it be difficult to build on hilly West Virginian land, but also that it was far too risky to build a major tourist destination in such a rural location

http://www.coaster-n...orgotten-parks/

Very interesting, TJ.

I have heard some about this, but I didn't know that it ever got as far along on the drawing board as described in the text you quoted. It sounds like a place that I would be willing to visit, and they would be within an easy drive of a lot of people who live in that area.

The text mentions that our of three parks which were planned which never were, this one came the closest. What are the other two they are referring to? I am not sure I've heard about them.

TCD

We live in Manassas, Va for 2 months back in 2001. It's wasn't to rural back then. We lived 7 miles from Jim's work and it would take 25 minutes to get there. There was never a down time for the traffic. In Manassas, if the made 15 dollars an hour in pay you could get a one bedroom apartment subsidized for 1500 a month.

We live in Manassas, Va for 2 months back in 2001. It's wasn't to rural back then. We lived 7 miles from Jim's work and it would take 25 minutes to get there. There was never a down time for the traffic. In Manassas, if the made 15 dollars an hour in pay you could get a one bedroom apartment subsidized for 1500 a month.

I think they were referring to the offer of West Virginia land as being too rural