Cream Puff, Chocolate Eclair, and Creme Brulee in Epcot’s France

From the Disney Food blog. Personally I'm a fan of the elephant ears here.

Review: Cream Puff, Chocolate Eclair, and Creme Brulee in Epcot’s France

Jun 19th, 2012 by AJ.

Every once in a while, a dining spot comes along that screams indulgence! And when you are traveling around the World in the space of a few hours at Epcot, it is imperative that you sample some of the World’s best treats.

Desserts in Epcot’s France Pavilion fall into this category perfectly. You simply must try something here. icon_wink.gif So off we go to savor the decadence that is the Boulangerie Patisserie!

Boulangerie-Patisserie-417x625.jpg

Boulangerie Patisserie

When you head into the bakery, you’re overloaded with rows of pastries and sandwiches. We somehow managed to keep our selections to only three this day, starting with the luscious Cream Puff.

Cream Puff

Come on. Look at this thing. Only people in commercials and books get to eat stuff like this, right? So you HAVE to try it!

This version starts with a lovely pate a choux, the fresh, rich-tender pastry that serves as a vehicle for all of that beautiful filling.

Cream-Puff-428x625.jpg

Cream Puff

Speaking of the filling, it was wonderfully light and fluffy, and so much more than plain ol’ “whipped cream” in texture, flavor, and general “ooh la la-ness” (yes, that is now a thing). I don’t know if they use a European cream with a higher fat content, or if it’s just French magic, but this is fantastic.

Eat it slowly (you know…if you’re blessedly alone and your kids aren’t clamoring for a swipe of that filling!), and savor every delicious bite. icon_smile.gif

Just pretend you’re in one of those Dove chocolate commercials. It’ll totally work.

Cream-Puff-Close-Up-451x625.jpg

Cream Puff Close Up

Chocolate Eclair

For our second dessert, we tried the Chocolate Eclair. An important point to note: I wasn’t expecting a chocolate filling in addition to the chocolate on top. Why? I have no idea. I guess I’d never had a chocolate-filled eclair before! (Sheltered.)

However, I was FAR from disappointed.

Again, just like the cream puff, I found the pate a choux (same dough, different shape!) to be fresh, tender, and light. The fact that it’s made with a ton of eggs and butter is pretty clear from the overall yumminess of the pastry itself, and the chocolate topping hints at the decadence that awaits you.

Chocolate-Eclair-600x400.jpg

Chocolate Eclair

But then they add that incredibly deep, rich, chocolate filling, and I was pretty sure this was the food of the pastry gods.

Have you had this?! Seriously awesome, right?

Chocolate-Eclair-cross-section-510x625.jpg

Chocolate Eclair Cross section

Creme Brulee

Finally, we were on to the classic Crème Brûlée. These are “pre-fired,” rather than having the sugar crust applied to the dessert to order. I feared the quality would suffer as a result. Just how long had it been in that case, anyway?

But I had no reason for concern. If you’ve ever had the pleasure (!) of standing in the Boulangerie Patisserie line, you know that turnover is pretty quick on the treats, ensuring freshness of the offerings. (By the way, if you LOVE this creamy dessert, check out our crème brûlée gallery!)

Creme-Brulee-600x445.jpg

Creme Brulee

Back to the crème brûlée experience at hand, though. It was clearly freshly prepared, with a thick sugary crust to break through to get to the cream below (LOVE THIS).

What I didn’t love so much was the texture. While the vanilla flavor was perfection, the texture leaned more toward gelatinous — and away from creamy and pudding-like. You know how I feel about milk jello. So, while this was good, it probably doesn’t rank among my favorite crème brûlée at Disney.

That said, LOTS of folks rave about this dessert at the Boulangerie Patisserie, so I might have just had a not-so-hot batch!

Creme-Brulee-2-600x400.jpg

Creme Brulee Inside

Ah, France! After this little gorge-fest, I promise you I went on to have a VERY energetic day! Or maybe I just went back to my hotel for a nap. Who can say? icon_wink.gif

Either way, treating yourself to some seriously decadent snacks at France’s bakery is a must-do. Especially now, since survey says they’ll be shutting down for expansion soon!

Love Epcot Snacks?

Are you a big fan of snacking your way around the World? Then check out our Disney Food Blog Mini-Guide to Epcot Snacks e-Book! Based upon the requests of YOU, our wonderful readers, we’ve compiled a comprehensive guide to the best eats and treats available in Walt Disney World’s Epcot, all in a super convenient e-book format!

Are the snacks from France’s Boulangerie Patisserie some of your must-have favorites? What treats do you rank as their best offerings? Leave us a comment below and let us know!

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2012/06/19/review-cream-puff-chocolate-eclair-and-creme-brulee-in-epcots-france/