Update:  I'm making a few coonskin caps for the Fort Fiends shop and found that the crown measurement was incorrect.  It was originally listed as here as 3.5" x 5".  I'm updating it to be 3" x 4".  Sorry if you were trying to follow the directions and had issues fitting the crown to the hat band. 

I made a coonskin cap for my flamingo and documented the steps.  Here is the finished product:

DSCN0753.jpg

Materials needed:

1/3 yard of brown fur fabric from Joanne Fabric 

2 1/4 inches of 1/4 inch black elastic

Polyester fiber-fill

Brown thread

Black sharpee marker

I cut out three pieces from the fabric:

The hat band is 3" x 11"

The top of the hat is an oval 3" x 4

The tail is 4" x 6 1/4"

DSCN0737.jpg

I started with the hat band, folded it half with the fur side facing inward, and sewed a 1/2" seam on the 3" edge:

DSCN0725-1.jpg

With the fur sides facing in, I pinned the top of the hat onto the band and sewed it with a 1/2" seam:

DSCN0727-1.jpg

I turned up 1/2" of the fur on the bottom edge and sewed around 1/4" from the edge:

DSCN0728.jpg

I folded the tail in half along the long side, fur side in, and sewed it in a half-circle on the bottom and then a 1/2" inch seam up the side opposite the fold.  I then cut the bottom edge to follow the curve so it would lay better after being turned:

DSCN0733-1.jpg

DSCN0734-1.jpg

I turned the tail right side out, added a bit of stuffing, and used a wide black sharpee marker to add rings.

DSCN0735.jpg

I sewed the tail to the back inside of the cap and sewed the 2 1/4" piece of elastic to the edge of the cap just back of center:

DSCN0730-1.jpg

To keep the hat in place on the flamingo's head, I added a dab of glue from a glue gun.  It acts as a "stop" to keep the elastic from sliding back down the flamingo's neck.  I didn't actually glue the elastic to the neck.

DSCN0731-1.jpg

If you make one and come up with a way that works better, please post it. 

Happy sewing!

PS:  While I was at it, I painted my lime green Mickey hitch cover purple.  It looks "Pepto Bismol Pink" here, but it is purple in person.

DSCN0755.jpg

This seemed kind of involved to me, so I made one with an old sock and a glue gun.  Doesn't quite look the same, though.

This seemed kind of involved to me, so I made one with an old sock and a glue gun.  Doesn't quite look the same, though.

Probably doesn't look the same but I bet it's unique!

I think I'll try one with a clean sock.

I found purple flamingos on ebay in a set of 4.  Anybody want to share?

http://cgi.ebay.com/4-PURPLE-RAVENS-FLAMINGOS-/200396788938?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ea89454ca

You can buy them one at a time at this site:

http://plastic-flamingos.com/specialty-flamingos/color-flamingos/purple-flamingo-qty-1-flamingo

They are $8.49 each.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:  I'm making a few coonskin caps for the Fort Fiends shop and found that the crown measurement was incorrect.  It was originally listed as here as 3.5" x 5".  I'm updating it to be 3" x 4".  Sorry if you were trying to follow the directions and had issues fitting the crown to the hat band. 

I made a coonskin cap for my flamingo and documented the steps.  Here is the finished product:

DSCN0753.jpg

Materials needed:

1/3 yard of brown fur fabric from Joanne Fabric 

2 1/4 inches of 1/4 inch black elastic

Polyester fiber-fill

Brown thread

Black sharpee marker

I cut out three pieces from the fabric:

The hat band is 3" x 11"

The top of the hat is an oval 3" x 4

The tail is 4" x 6 1/4"

DSCN0737.jpg

I started with the hat band, folded it half with the fur side facing inward, and sewed a 1/2" seam on the 3" edge:

DSCN0725-1.jpg

With the fur sides facing in, I pinned the top of the hat onto the band and sewed it with a 1/2" seam:

DSCN0727-1.jpg

I turned up 1/2" of the fur on the bottom edge and sewed around 1/4" from the edge:

DSCN0728.jpg

I folded the tail in half along the long side, fur side in, and sewed it in a half-circle on the bottom and then a 1/2" inch seam up the side opposite the fold.  I then cut the bottom edge to follow the curve so it would lay better after being turned:

DSCN0733-1.jpg

DSCN0734-1.jpg

I turned the tail right side out, added a bit of stuffing, and used a wide black sharpee marker to add rings.

DSCN0735.jpg

I sewed the tail to the back inside of the cap and sewed the 2 1/4" piece of elastic to the edge of the cap just back of center:

DSCN0730-1.jpg

To keep the hat in place on the flamingo's head, I added a dab of glue from a glue gun.  It acts as a "stop" to keep the elastic from sliding back down the flamingo's neck.  I didn't actually glue the elastic to the neck.

DSCN0731-1.jpg

If you make one and come up with a way that works better, please post it. 

Happy sewing!

PS:  While I was at it, I painted my lime green Mickey hitch cover purple.  It looks "Pepto Bismol Pink" here, but it is purple in person.

DSCN0755.jpg

Great job!