We've never done the BBQ. Have done the HDDR a few times, but I didn't book it for our upcoming trip as the cost was just too darn high. I've always been a bit interested in the BBQ, especially while still having little ones. But I just priced it out on the Disney Dining site and it came to over $300 for my family!

For those of you that have done this, is it worth that kind of money? I know there are character interactions, but I'm thinking I could buy $300 worth of hotdogs and beer, announce a party at my site on FF.net, and I'd get ALL KINDS of characters right at my campsite!

Thoughts?

Joyce and I went to Mickey's Backyard BBQ last October. It's definitely for families as there were TONS of kids. The food was served buffet style, all you can eat, and pretty good. The band, singers, and MC-type folks were good. There were lots of opportunities for character interaction. Seems like it was mostly the younger kids who were participating - maybe 7th grade and younger. I have a feeling once the kids reach a certain age they feel like they have outgrown this type of activity. Joyce and I will not do it again - too many kids on sugar and caffeine running amuck. I think your kids would have a good time; but, would have just as good a time roasting weenies over the fire at the outdoor movies and then dancing a bit with Chip and Dale.

I've looked into this one too. Frankly, we could do MNSSHP or MVMCP for the same cost....

If it were a toss up between a character meal and one of the parties - where there are TONS of character experiences, including with some of the ones you don't see often (not to mention dance parties, lower crowds, special parades...) - I'd go with a party.

I believe the BBQ food is the same as Trails End, so I vote GAG on the beach then head to MK for a party. 8)

We've done the BBQ twice, once when dd was 12 and once when she was younger. The first time, we all had a blast. She danced, the characters were great (both before and during the show), the trick roper was amazing, and the show was a lot of fun. The second time we went, when she was 12, we only stayed long enough to eat, and then we left. It was boring, because she was too old for it, and we'd seen it all before. So if you've never been, and your kids are young, I'd say give it a try. The food is nothing fantastic, but it's a fun experience to have once.

If it were a toss up between a character meal and one of the parties - where there are TONS of character experiences, including with some of the ones you don't see often (not to mention dance parties, lower crowds, special parades...) - I'd go with a party.

I believe the BBQ food is the same as Trails End, so I vote GAG on the beach then head to MK for a party. 8)

totally hijacking but...

what are the ride time like at MNSSHP?

totally hijacking but...

what are the ride time like at MNSSHP?

We went to the very last party on Nov 1st last year. Ride times got shorter as the night went on but weren't ever more than about 30 minutes for the "big" rides. Later in the night they were more like 5 or just straight up walk ons. It's one of the few times we've ever actually ridden Dumbo because the line was so short.

If you go during the parade they are usually really short too but... the MNSSHP parade is (IMO) the best WDW parade EVAH. 8)

If you go during the parade they are usually really short too but... the MNSSHP parade is (IMO) the best WDW parade EVAH. 8)

If I pay that much to go to it.. I am going to see the parade. I keep trying to justify the expense....cause I really want to go but don't want to push luck with DH. AFter all I squeezed a christmas trip in too this year.

We haven't done BYBBQ since Starla was little. It might even have been all the way back to DS34's childhood. DH reminded me that we did it once upon a time when I was looking at it last fall. My feeling about it has always been that it's a lot of $$ to eat hot dogs & hamburgers outside so that's why we don't have a more recent experience to base an opinion on.

I like the TE dinner - it offers more selection than the BBQ and was the least expensive dinner buffet on property when I compared them all last month - I'd hate to put out $260+ to eat burgers and have my girls say it was only okay afterwards...

If I pay that much to go to it.. I am going to see the parade. I keep trying to justify the expense....cause I really want to go but don't want to push luck with DH. AFter all I squeezed a christmas trip in too this year.

Yeah that's a tough one. Christmas trip vs party? I think the trip wins. 8)

FWIW I had to strong arm DH into going to MNSSHP this year - he was not keen at all. He loved it and said he'd definitely do it again.

He's also not a parade fan (at all) and really enjoyed the parade too.

We do the Back Yard Bar B Que every time we go and sometimes twice. The food is good as we all love barbecue. It is expensive, especially when you have to pay for a child who can not eat anything (we bring her strained foods). The last few trips we have had to cut down on the spending so going to that was our real expenditure. It is always worth it to see Kimberly enjoying the music so much and Shawnee being able to eat all the baked beans and bread he wants.....ha! This year we will probably only do it once and HHDR once. I am just hoping we don't have to cut our planned trip short due to finances. That is our one big special vacation every year.

We did it last April and had a blast. I took pictures and did a review here if you want to scroll back and see it. If you do, you will see a really dorky pic of me. I will say it has the best character interaction of any character meal I've done. I think it depends on the age of your kids. DS3 was in heaven, and DD16 enjoyed it because she was dancing with him. I can't speak to the burgers, but the ribs were good. If you factor in a few adult beverages and they keep bringing them around, it's roughly the price of other character dinners.