Best way to get to the Fort from the train station.

Hi guys. I am going to be doing a solo trip down to the fort in January to participate in my first 5k. The cheapest way for me to get there is going to be by train. I am trying to decide if it would better to take the train to Orlando or Kissimmee. Also would it be worth renting a car just to get to the Fort or should I just take a cab?

I found information on the Mouse for Less site: http://www.themouseforless.com/tripplanning/wdwsavings/TravelTrain.shtml

Amtrak Station Information

• Kissimmee (KIS)
    Address: 111 East Dakin Ave.; Kissimmee, FL 34741
    Phone: 1-800-872-7245
    Hours: Monday-Sunday: 9:30 am- 7:00 pm
    Station Details: Staffed with enclosed waiting area; No WiFi.
    Transportation: No car rental available; LYNX bus stop one-tenth of a mile from the station (allow an 1-1/2 travel time to WDW); you can also pre-arrange private car service pick-up or call a taxis.
    Distance from Walt Disney World's Epcot Resort Area: 13.7 miles
    Approximate Driving Time: 26 minutes
  • Orlando (ORL)
    Address: 1400 Sligh Blvd.; Orlando, FL 32806
    Phone: 1-800-872-7245
    Hours: Monday-Sunday: 7:30 am - 8:15 pm
    Station Details: Staffed with enclosed waiting area; No WiFi.
    Transportation: Hertz car rental at station; taxis available at station; LYNX bus stop (bus #40) is on the north side of station - transfer to Lynx #50 to Downtown Disney where you can catch free Disney bus transportation to resorts (allow 2 hours travel time to WDW); you can also pre-arrange private car service pick-up.
    Distance from Walt Disney World's Epcot Resort Area: 19.3 miles
    Approximate Driving Time: 27 minutes

Information For Hertz Orlando Amtrak Location

Address: 1400 Sligh Blvd.; Orlando, FL 32806

Phone: 407-872-0112

Hours of Operation: 8:00 am - 6 pm, 7 Days per week

Additional Info: This location is for Amtrak customers only. After hours, delayed Amtrak trains are met up to 8:00 pm. If a delayed train arrives after 8:00 pm, reserve car at the Orlando International Airport location. Cab fare will be reimbursed with receipt.

My parents did this last year. We arranged for their transportation as they would get there before us. We drove. I believe it was Mears Transportation. Picked them up at the depot and right to check in at the hotel. Picked them up at the hotel and delivered them to the train depot for the return trip too. I don't think thay paid more than $35. We may have included it on their package but they were great. I didn't want them driving down and we didn't have room in the van.

• 2 weeks later...

I am going pretty light on this camping I should be able to pack my gear in one suitcase and my clothes in another. Even if I use my smaller suitcase as a carryon for my clothes I should be ok. I am only bringing a tent, air matress, pillow, sheets, blanket and towel. and it is a smaller tent. and a twin air matress.

I am going pretty light on this camping I should be able to pack my gear in one suitcase and my clothes in another. Even if I use my smaller suitcase as a carryon for my clothes I should be ok. I am only bringing a tent, air matress, pillow, sheets, blanket and towel. and it is a smaller tent. and a twin air matress.

If you'd like Jason, I can leave my tent setup wit Ed and Mama in December and you can get it from them at the Fort and then leave it with Judy or Lorna and I can get it back in Feb. Tent, awning, air mattress linens with electric mattress pad and electric blanket and a chair.

If you'd like Jason, I can leave my tent setup wit Ed and Mama in December and you can get it from them at the Fort and then leave it with Judy or Lorna and I can get it back in Feb. Tent, awning, air mattress linens with electric mattress pad and electric blanket and a chair.

Carol, you are one of the most awesome Fiends I know!

Wow Carol. I don't know what to say. That would be awesome. I dont know how to thank you enough.

Oh Fiends... that's so awesome.

Now... Jason, don't show your wife or she'll be jealous of that awesome setup.

She heard me get excited and wanted to know what was going on. I can't believe how lucky i have been too find a group like this. The Fiends are such a wonderful group. I am beyond grateful for this group.

Oh and Silvia says Hi. :10220: She hopes you are well.