Pizza Planet - Disney’s Hollywood Studios

From the Disney Food Blog. Follow the link for lots more photos...

Review: Pizza Planet at Disney’s Hollywood Studios

Aug 14th, 2012 by AJ.

Time to head To Infinity…and Beyond! (Except you’ll pretty much stay in Disney’s Hollywood Studios.) Recently, I headed over for a late lunch (early dinner?) at Pizza Planet to see what was up!

A perennial kids’ favorite, families LOVE this place! The pizza-heavy menu and oodles of video games make this a good family stop in a park that’s not necessarily known for its kid-oriented counter service options. And while the food probably won’t wow you, the chance to let the kids burn off some energy might.

Atmosphere

Did you know that Pizza Planet has been mentioned in every Pixar film except The Incredibles? Remember the “YO” truck in Toy Story? Pizza Planet Delivery Guy!

Modeled after the fictional restaurant Pizza Planet from the Toy Story franchise (complete with a huge arcade!), you’ll feel like you’ve stepped right into the film as you enter the place.

It’s actually housed in part of the old Backlot Area at the Studios, right across the way from Muppet Vision 3D.

Even if you’re just looking to escape the heat for a little, this place is huge and offers seating upstairs, downstairs, or outside.

Pizza-Planet-Outside-view-1-442x625.jpg

Pizza Planet Outside View with Seating

Inside, colorful murals depict a planet of hot, cheesy goodness!

Bright primary colors and fun theming are everywhere.

Once you get your food (don’t go during dining rush hours — lines here can get catastrophic), choose a downstairs seat, or take the stairs or elevator upstairs for more options. The outside seating is often nicely shaded, both under an overhang as well as umbrella-shaded tables.

outside-seating-pizza-planet-600x450.jpg

Outside Seating Area

seating-2-pizza-planet-600x331.jpg

Another Seating Area - Window View

The video games are, of course, a big draw here. It’s a great place to unwind in the a/c without having to stand in long lines. With so many games to choose from, there’s plenty to go around!

And I love the giant Little Green Guys!

little-green-guys-pizza-planet-600x308.jpg

Little Green Guys Peeking In

The cool claw vending machines let you try your luck at snagging a Disney plush! (These were always my favorite when I was a kid! …Well, these and skee-ball.)

It’s pretty awesome to look down from above and watch the gaming action. It’s a great feature as well for parents who want to give the kids a little freedom – but not too much.

One thing that I found to be particularly fitting (and funny) was the very conspicuous ATM and change machines. Disney leaves no opportunity to tell your kids that you don’t have any cash or quarters on hand for those video games. icon_wink.gif

But what about the food? Let’s get to it!

Eats

This huge counter service spot consistently gets good reviews from readers. It’s always among the top picks for counter service at Hollywood Studios. This I have to attribute to the fact that there are video games and that the place is massive, because there isn’t a whole lot of variety at Pizza Planet. Basically, you’ve got fast food pizza.

pizza-planet-general-menu-board-401x625.jpg

General Board of Eats

But there are also a few salads and desserts, including an interesting cupcake option that we’ll get to in just a sec!

Pizza-Planet-Menu-1-600x477.jpg

Pizza Planet Pizza and Salads

Pizza-planet-menu-2-600x305.jpg

Pizza Planet Desserts and Kids Picks

I spied a few side salads in the kitchen prep area. Since this was probably my third meal of the afternoon already, I decided to just go for the gusto and stick with the pizza and cupcake. icon_wink.gif I promise to get a salad next time.

Like I said, there isn’t much variety in the pizza. They’re all thick-crusted with a pillowy consistency, and reminded me of a slightly underdone, super-doughy chain pan pizza. The toppings didn’t cover the whole surface and were mostly bunched up in the middle.

It tasted fine, but it’s not the best pizza you’ll ever eat (I hope). That said, the kiddos will LURVE it. Well, they’ll take two bites then go play video games…which is LURVE when it comes to Disney World.

pizza-pizza-planet-600x468.jpg

Pepperoni Pizza

My favorite part of the meal was dessert though, hands down. This Cappuccino Chocolate Cupcake was really good, and I’m not even a big coffee fan!

cappuccino-cupcake-pizza-planet-600x537.jpg

Cuppuccino Chocolate Cupcake

The coffee flavor was subtle enough to allow the chocolate to take center stage. The whipped buttercream frosting was much less heavy than what some of the Starring Rolls cupcakes feature. Think Contempo Cafe cupcakes as far as frosting texture here. And the crushed toffee and candied nuts around the edge provided some nice texture.

Chocolate-Capuccino-Cupcake-533x625.jpg

Chocolate Capuccino Cupcake

The rich, moist chocolate cake was a really nice foil to the lighter frosting.

Overall

Do I think that Pizza Planet has the best food ever? No way, man. If I’m after fantastic pizza, I would probably head to Via Napoli in Epcot’s Italian Pavilion, or to…like…New York City.

But I can see why this enormous eatery holds a special place in the hearts of readers, especially those with children. It’s a great place to chill and let the kids run around in a fairly confined space, while blowing off a little bit of theme park steam.

Be aware that it can become very loud and crowded, owing to its rampant popularity. Still, with such a large space, I’m confident that you’ll find a place to enjoy a bite and a game. And be sure to save room for that cupcake!

Do you love Pizza Planet for the games or the eats? Leave us a comment and let us know your thoughts!

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2012/08/14/review-pizza-planet-at-disneys-hollywood-studios/

• 8 months later...

We ate here in 2011 and again October 2012. There is not that many great places to eat at HS. Maybe someone can enlighten me! LOL! But ...its OK! OK enough that we ate here again. Its not going to be as good as Pizza Hut but as good as our $5 pizza from Little Ceasars.  There is plenty of seating outside, downstairs, upstairs  and a good place to rest for awhile in the cool.There is an arcade! That could be a good think or bad if you can't drag your children away from it! LOL!  We like to eat upstairs where it is a little quieter and restrooms are upstairs. I don't usually get desert but I was on the dining plan and I had a great cupcake/orange colored icing they had special for Halloween!

I never knew that place existed. And I don't think I care that it does.

I've always heard the pizza SMB. Which doesn't surprise me because Disney pizza is garbage. (I haven't tried It in EPCOT yet). My kid won't eat it because he has been raised on good Pizza. And no way on earth am I taking him into an arcade. Disney sucks enough of my money away lol!

I've always heard the pizza SMB. Which doesn't surprise me because Disney pizza is garbage. (I haven't tried It in EPCOT yet). My kid won't eat it because he has been raised on good Pizza. And no way on earth am I taking him into an arcade. Disney sucks enough of my money away lol!

The only good pizza I've found at WDW is Via Napoli.  But you pay for it. 

We ate here in 2011 and again October 2012. There is not that many great places to eat at HS. Maybe someone can enlighten me!

There are some decent sit down places at HS....we really enjoy 50's Prime Time.  But I've never found a CS place I care for in that park.  Although some of the sandwiches at Starring Rolls look ok.  We usually either hit 50's, or just get snacks like the carrot cake cookie, and then eat a meal later after leaving the park. 

Yeah I don't know if I could pay $40 for pizza that I get home for $11.

I've done it once.  It was really good.  But I won't rush back.  Lots of other places to eat.  I will say though that the $40 pizza is quite large.  Definitely not your standard size.  It's what I would have called a party pizza back in Buffalo. 

There are some decent sit down places at HS....we really enjoy 50's Prime Time.  But I've never found a CS place I care for in that park.  Although some of the sandwiches at Starring Rolls look ok.  We usually either hit 50's, or just get snacks like the carrot cake cookie, and then eat a meal later after leaving the park. 

Thanks! I have read that the 50's prime time is good!  I will keep that and the sandwhiches in mind for next time!

The time that we were at HS and  made reservations we did the Hollywood & Vine for the characters for GS. If we do the Pizza place next summer we'll never get GS(4) out of the arcade! Last time he was 2 and we were able to surround it! LOL!

We love Pizza Planet. And it has very little to do with the food. Yes, we like the food but I'm sure there are better places.

In 2006, we did Disney and the Fort for the first time. My youngest son, Luke (now 12) was only five years old. My oldest (now 19) was only 11. Luke was Toy Story crazy. Our first park we visited was MGM (HS) and at 9:15 we were at Al's Toy Barn when Buzz and Woody walked out. I will never in my lifetime forget the awe on Luke's face. It still makes me smile thinking about it. Later that day we ate at Pizza Planet and played video games.

That's why we love it. Who cares if the food is just "OK"? Its the experiences and the memories that brings us back. He'll be 13 when we go this November. But we'll all eat and play video games just like we did almost eight years before. :))