Shipping camping gear...cost prohibitive?

Okay, so I have always considered it, but have not yet done this.  Does anyone ship their camping gear down to FW?  I'm talking fairly standard tent camping stuff here...a 2 room dome tent, a screen house (heavy frame), a big Rubbermaid tote with tarps, air mattresses, and some cooking gear.  I haven't priced out the cost of shipping this to FW, and of course shipping it home afterwards...has anyone tried this?

Driving my gear from home in my truck would take about a full day, and about $600 in gas.  It would definitely be cheaper and quicker to fly, but don't know if it would cost so much in shipping charges to make this prohibitive.  I may just give up and "camp" at Pop again. (Love camping, would rather camp than stay at Pop, btw).

I know what you mean about wanting to camp rather than staying at the POP.  Not saying that the POP is bad... well as a camper, you know what I mean....  Have you thought about renting a pop-up or 5th wheel from some of the companies listed in the Golf Cart and Camper Rental section of the forum.  I have never personally done it, but have heard from some others that have, and they had a great experience.

From what I understand, these "companies" or individuals bring the unit in, set it up and come back and remove it after your trip is over. Might be worth looking into...

Duane

Driving my gear from home in my truck would take about a full day, and about $600 in gas.  It would definitely be cheaper and quicker to fly, but don't know if it would cost so much in shipping charges to make this prohibitive.  I may just give up and "camp" at Pop again. (Love camping, would rather camp than stay at Pop, btw).

Where is home? 

Where is home?

And what kind of truck do you have that would burn $600 in a day?  Even for a round trip, at $3 per gallon, we use less than that in our MH that only gets 5-5 1/2 mpg.  I don't know where you are coming from, but we are about one day away from the Fort and easily get there and back for less than $600.  And we don't have to contend with invasive TSA.  :bday:  I can't speak for sure about shipping costs, but for the amount of stuff you want to send, I'm betting you could drive it cheaper and have your vehice available for your use.

Wow!! $600.00 worth of gas in one day? I think I'd be looking at another truck. I don't think I could burn that much fuel if I ran my motorhome, car, and truck all at the same time. As for shipping your gear, I would think you could buy a whole bunch of new stuff down here for the cost of shipping. You'd also be pretty screwed if the shipper lost part of your gear, if it gets damaged, or doesn't get delivered on time.

Whatever you decide, hope you have a happy trip. :bday: