Georgia Aquarium cost vs. Disney

I know we discuss the cost of Disney quite a bit, so I thought I’d compare it to my trip to the Georgia Aquarium today. Don’t tell Disney, but they come out as the better value for sure. Today, it was just my son and me. We were there for 4 hours and did everything that wasn’t an additional cost in that time (no extra tours, etc).

Tickets

Adult $34.95

Child $28.95

Parking $9.00

Lunch $17.95

We split chicken tenders and fries (it was plenty to split). I had a Diet Coke, and he had apple juice. Almost $18 for one basic meal and 2 drinks!

Just for info… buying one picture was $21.00

So we spent $90.84 for 4 hours. 20 oz. drinks were $3.50. I think that is the same as Disney. The $21 pictures are more than I pay for all my Disney pictures because I do a photopass share. Even if we didn’t do a share, I don’t think 1 picture is that expensive. We had a great time, so I don’t regret spending the money, but it will be something we do every couple years (even though we live so close) because it’s so expensive, and you really see all there is in one visit. Can you imagine the cost for a family of 4 that didn’t split meals? I realize that Disney admission is a good bit more expensive, but you can also spend a lot more than 4 or even 8 hours in a park.

A guy I used to work with a couple of years ago took his family to Gatlinburgh Tn for a vacation and they spent more than I did to take my Family to Disney.

I think my Jersey Shore vacation was more than Disney. We even went over Labor Day because the house was 1/2. Once we paid for gas, tolls, boardwalk rides, food, boardwalk food, surrey rental, rainy day activity, old time photo, etc, etc. it added up. The rides are what get you. A ride in the Ferris wheel for the 3 of us is $15!

A guy I used to work with a couple of years ago took his family to Gatlinburgh Tn for a vacation and they spent more than I did to take my Family to Disney.

This is so true, we did labor day weekend in Gatlinburg last year and was shocked at how much we ended up spending.... we could have done the fort for a week. I dont know if it's just that when I plan my disney trips I do so with the thought that I must be frugal and do a lot of packing of snacks and cooking at camp, or I just lost my mind that weekend and didnt think about what we were spending til we got home.

You have made a very good point.

When I was with my family for our last college football game of this season, I stopped for a moment to think about how much attending a football game costs. When you factor in tickets, parking and food and think about how fast a game flies by, Disney does seem more reasonable. Notice I said seem, because the truth is that there are a lot of overpriced entertainment choices.

TCD