How to get the best deal at rv show?

Hey Holly, it was Holman RV in Cincinnati.  I don't think they deal in Tiffins...in fact they mostly deal in TT's and Fivers AFAIK.  I think they take trades, but not sure. 

Lazy Days in Florida seem pretty hard to beat with Tiffin prices.  have you checked them out?

We keep saying that we are going to go down there one weekend, but so far we haven't been able to get away.  Someone (maybe Lorna) said that she lived near there and that they have a nice campground right at Lazy Days, so hopefully we will get down there soon and check out their inventory.  It looks like they have tons! 

Thanks for the info!

For your info the show @ Hershey is not until the 3rd weekend in Sept. I do not know of a show in Harrisburg but the Farm show complex has had so many events as of late I lost track of what is there.

Sorry, I got that mixed up. The York Campers World Show 3/11-13 is the one we'll be doing to help out some friends, but I'm hoping to swing a deal this weekend when we go back into the Timonium show.

I got a cash price from an out of state dealer on the TT we're currently aiming for of $21,100. A local dealer has two sitting on their lot that didn't get taken to the show last week and we're hoping to swing a better deal for one of those. Their website lists them at $24,990. I know that's below MSRP which was somewhere in the 30,000 range. There are also a couple of the same model on lots in PA. If I can get a price over the phone of $21,000 without haggling, I'm thinking $20,000 locally might be possible, which is right about where I want to be for a cash sale. Does that sound reasonable to you all?

Isn't North Trail RV in Tampa too?  I saw a mh on their website once that had a great price, so I started to fill out the more info form.  The weird thing is that I never submitted it because I didn't want them to start bugging me with phone calls.  Well, within minutes of me leaving the page on the website, I got a call from them.  It was weird.  The guy called several times after that.  Do you think that Lazy Days has better prices than North Trail or are they about the same?  I guess if we go down there, we could play one against the other for the best deal.

Sorry, I got that mixed up. The York Campers World Show 3/11-13 is the one we'll be doing to help out some friends, but I'm hoping to swing a deal this weekend when we go back into the Timonium show.

I got a cash price from an out of state dealer on the TT we're currently aiming for of $21,100. A local dealer has two sitting on their lot that didn't get taken to the show last week and we're hoping to swing a better deal for one of those. Their website lists them at $24,990. I know that's below MSRP which was somewhere in the 30,000 range. There are also a couple of the same model on lots in PA. If I can get a price over the phone of $21,000 without haggling, I'm thinking $20,000 locally might be possible, which is right about where I want to be for a cash sale. Does that sound reasonable to you all?

The York Show is a lot smaller, but it is a nice RV show.  Last year it was held in two buildings of the York Fairground, with a bus to take folks from one building to the other.  A few rigs were set up outside as well, but it was a typicaly PA March day with rain and wind.  :wave1:

So what rig are you looking at?

We bought our Jayco used from a dealer close to home when the fuel prices were at $4+ a gallon and towards the fall a couple of years ago. When the dealer told use the starting price of the unit we were interested in my wife and my mouth fell.  They gave us a price 4k less then they told us 3 month earlier on the same unit. We were even able to get the unit for less than that, and we have only had minor issues that were easily fixed with the help of the camping community forums. We have been very happy with the unit and will buy used again, :wave1: I only wish I could afford to buy new. :rofl2:

I am only guessing that if fuel prices get as high as I?ve been hearing, you will see a lot more like new units going up for sale. It may even cripple the market and the RV industry as a whole.

after spending weeks at our local RV dealers looking at Motorhomes I can honestly say they all seem to work on a 30,000 profit for most products between the 175,000 and 220,000 and about 15,000 on units under 125,000 and if they can't get it they just sit on them. The 5th wheel i bought just 8 months ago for 80,000 is now worth between 35,000 and 50,000 depending on who the dealer is, I won't even talk about how much I lost on my 6 month old airstream.  The one thing I firmly believe is if you bought it from an RV dealer, you paid too much.

after spending weeks at our local RV dealers looking at Motorhomes I can honestly say they all seem to work on a 30,000 profit for most products between the 175,000 and 220,000 and about 15,000 on units under 125,000 and if they can't get it they just sit on them. The 5th wheel i bought just 8 months ago for 80,000 is now worth between 35,000 and 50,000 depending on who the dealer is, I won't even talk about how much I lost on my 6 month old airstream.  The one thing I firmly believe is if you bought it from an RV dealer, you paid too much.

We bought our first mh from an individual and got a fantastic deal.  However we will probably buy our next one from a dealership because I don't want to have to deal with trying to sell our current one ourselves.  I'd rather just trade it in.  I'm not sure if it is the same thing everywhere, but when you trade-in around here, you only pay sales tax on the difference between the trade-in and the new RV price.  That will save us a little bit...not much, but a little bit.

What dealer are you working with we tried to but a unit from Leo's Vacationworld, never made it but not for trying very hard they were pretty good to work with just had a son starting college and was nervous with getting school loans and all. We did and up buying @ the Hershey show that Sept. after things were done for school.

I'd expected to buy from Leo's. We visited their lot a few times last summer and thought they were great, I'd talked to them about the TH we wanted last week and went back today armed to finally hand over that check. Talked to an older, experienced looking salesman who was sitting at the table with a factory rep and told them we'd brought our checkbook to make a deal today. During the week, they'd sold the one on the lot but offered to order us one at the sale price. We were looking good until I gave him the figures I'd gotten from both the all-cash internet dealer and the dealer in PA who'd given me figures with my trade. At that point, he told us to go buy from one of them. The Outback rep asked who the PA dealer was. We told them and he started to wonder how they could do it when the salesman promptly said something like Oh yeah, they can, they're wh***s up there. They'll do anything.  :rofl2:

Alrighty then... DD10 was right there next to us and, while I was suprised to hear such a candid and uncensored, totally unprofessional sentiment voiced in front of us, DH was inwardly seething so that ended that. It's not that we haven't used that terminolgy on occassion in our 50+ years but we'd never use it to a customer or in front of somebody else's young child.

We still wrote a deposit check for a 280RS TH today - just to a different dealer.  :banana:

[

I'd expected to buy from Leo's. We visited their lot a few times last summer and thought they were great, I'd talked to them about the TH we wanted last week and went back today armed to finally hand over that check. Talked to an older, experienced looking salesman who was sitting at the table with a factory rep and told them we'd brought our checkbook to make a deal today. During the week, they'd sold the one on the lot but offered to order us one at the sale price. We were looking good until I gave him the figures I'd gotten from both the all-cash internet dealer and the dealer in PA who'd given me figures with my trade. At that point, he told us to go buy from one of them. The Outback rep asked who the PA dealer was. We told them and he started to wonder how they could do it when the salesman promptly said something like Oh yeah, they can, they're wh***s up there. They'll do anything.  :o

Alrighty then... DD10 was right there next to us and, while I was suprised to hear such a candid and uncensored, totally unprofessional sentiment voiced in front of us, DH was inwardly seething so that ended that. It's not that we haven't used that terminolgy on occassion in our 50+ years but we'd never use it to a customer or in front of somebody else's young child.

We still wrote a deposit check for a 280RS TH today - just to a different dealer.  :heart:

Congrats on the new TH and also for walking away from someone who I guess does not need to sell campers, it was a shame the way the salesman spoke most woulod have said I don't know how they can sell @ that price, that would have been  better. Hope all  works out well and have fun with your new toy.