A couple of ?'s about getting around while at the Fort

When I read about the Fort and people going to the Parks (Epcot, H.S. and Animal Kingdom) I see most use the buses. I would prefer to drive to the parks (boat to MK). Could I park in the main lot up front and just bike back & forth to the lot? Is there a place to secure the bikes?

The Dog Park. I figure the dog walk trails all connect to get to the dog park? But I'd prefer to hear it from those in the know. We won't have a golf cart so I would like to confirm that we can easily get them to the dog park even if we are the farthest away from it (we do have a premium site reserved).

Thanks!!!!

Diane

When I read about the Fort and people going to the Parks (Epcot, H.S. and Animal Kingdom) I see most use the buses. I would prefer to drive to the parks (boat to MK). Could I park in the main lot up front and just bike back & forth to the lot? Is there a place to secure the bikes?

The Dog Park. I figure the dog walk trails all connect to get to the dog park? But I'd prefer to hear it from those in the know. We won't have a golf cart so I would like to confirm that we can easily get them to the dog park even if we are the farthest away from it (we do have a premium site reserved).

Thanks!!!!

Diane

Yes, you can park in the main lot up front and bike back and forth, then take your car. You can also park your car at your site. Yes, there are bike racks where you can lock your bike up near the front parking lot.

I don't think the "dog walks" connect to the waggin trails park, but the sidewalks do.

I don't think the "dog walks" connect to the waggin trails park, but the sidewalks do.

Correct. Sidewalks will get you there.

There are designated "dog walk" areas in a few locations (on leash - not fenced), but they don't connect and don't actually lead to the dog park.

If you booked Preferred, that's likely to put you in 300 (the only Preferred Pet loop) which is super close. The Full Hookup sites are a straight shot up the main drag to the dog park (sidewalk the whole way). The only time it gets a bit tougher is Premium, as there are lots of Premium Pet loops and some are kind of far from the dog park. (500 is the closest)

I don't know if you have tried the busses, but we ALWAYS use the busses...or the boats and monorail. In fact we go to EPCOT by boat to the MK, ferry to the TTC, and monorail to EPCOT. Or you can boat to MK and monorail to the TTC and transfer to another monorail to EPCOT. We prefer to let the Disney drivers do their stuff while we relax and enjoy the trip to whatever park.

And WELCOME to the Fiends forum. As you can see from the post count of the two previous posters, some members are very active and many members have a wealth of information about the Fort and Disney in general.

:welcome:

Thanks all!

We reserved a premium site so does that mean I can walk the girls on the sidewalk to the dog park? I wasn't sure if they were restricted to specific trails within the Fort. We have 'dogs' noted on our reservation. So perhaps I can request loop 500, a quick flip thru my trusty Fort Fiend app shows the sites to be mostly with landscaping which hopefully will be good for noise insulation. They'll have a radio going in the trailer when we are not there and hopefully they will be so worn out they'll be sound asleep the entire time :)

Ken, we've been quite a few times to the resorts. Perhaps we will use the buses and monorail from time to time but I like the idea of having the car at the park for a quick retreat if we get a call that our old girl is barking at shadows nonstop ;-) Lately she is not disturbed when the mail is delivered or we get the mail (the box is metal by the front so you hear it) so perhaps she is mellowing in her old age :) They are both couch potatoes when we are not around but I'd still rest easier knowing I could be there without having just missed the bus. I have run for more buses than I care to remember LOL Though I do have fond memories of a bus driver teaching the bus how to remember the 7 dwarves names and he might have had us singing too. I've had a few wonderful drivers along the years :)

We reserved a premium site so does that mean I can walk the girls on the sidewalk to the dog park?

Yup!

There are areas of the Fort with signs indicating "no pets past this point" but you're generally fine to use the main sidewalks to get to/from the dog park.

I think the only "no pets" areas are Meadows/pool area, trading posts, the whole Settlement/Marina area, playgrounds an. We also don't walk our dogs through non-pet loops, just our of courtesy for those campers that might not appreciate them being there.

We camp with 3 border collies and a daily romp at the dog park goes a long way towards making sure our crew is quietly hanging out in the camper while we're gone. 8)

Oh, you mentioned getting a call..

We put one of those "pets inside" stickers on the door of our TT with my cell phone number on it, just in case. We did actually get a call once - not because the dogs were making noise but because the smoke alarm was randomly beeping. Turned out to be just the battery going dead, but it was great to know that our fellow campers were keeping an eye/ear out and could reach us if they needed.

Thanks Kelly, Monique and Nikki!!! Glad to hear that its not a big deal to park at the site and drive to the parks, if we find that we have a lot of kids active in our loop then I might park it at the main lot. The bike ride won't hurt us but it is nice to know we have options. If it ends up raining a lot then I definitely will park at the site and not worry about driving in and out.

Monique, I've caught most of your posts related to the "kids" including the removal of the bunks to make room for the crates. I have filled that idea away in the 'next camper' folder ;-) I'll be sure to add something to the camper with a number. We've been enough times that returning for walks and play time works well with us.

The girls mouse ears and Disney bandanas are already in the camper. They have toys bought just for the drive/trip hidden away waiting :) We have a collapsible bowl for the dog park and walks. I'm not sure but their packing list might rival mine! LOL

Thanks!!!!

Even if driving to the parks, it would probably be easier to park at your site and use the bikes to go back & forth to the boats or WL. While you can park in the main lot, if it's raining it'd be much better to have your vehicle at the site. Also, occassionally vehicles left in the parking lot may sustain accidental damage. There's a lot of rv traffic up there and not everyone has perfected the art of manuevering their rv in tight spots...

The girls mouse ears and Disney bandanas are already in the camper. They have toys bought just for the drive/trip hidden away waiting :) We have a collapsible bowl for the dog park and walks. I'm not sure but their packing list might rival mine! LOL

That sounds about right. :dogsnicker:

Have an awesome trip!