Crane lift installed at Contemporary Resort for upper floor refurb

http://www.wdwmagic.com/resorts/disneys-contemporary-resort/news/15feb2013-photos---crane-lift-now-installed-for-contemporary-rooftop-refurbishment.htm

I actually watched them doing this one day but i believe i failed to get photos of it.....maybe i did. Not that it matters much. I was wondering what they were doing and now I know.

A monorail pilot told me that the crane will remove the rooms like dresser drawers and they will be taken to a US Steel shop on Vista Blvd for remodeling. The remodeled rooms will then be installed in the Four Seasons. After all rooms are removed, the Comtemporary is going to be torn down and replaced by a Twin of the BLT, making the entire resort DVC.

A monorail pilot told me that the crane will remove the rooms like dresser drawers and they will be taken to a US Steel shop on Vista Blvd for remodeling. The remodeled rooms will then be installed in the Four Seasons. After all rooms are removed, the Comtemporary is going to be torn down and replaced by a Twin of the BLT, making the entire resort DVC.

Sounds like that monorail pilot has been hanging out with the bus drivers. :faceplant2:

All that is completely true except for the part between the words me and DVC.

There is another resort that Incorporated the slide-in rooms, which one is it?

Sounds like that monorail pilot has been hanging out with the bus drivers.

Disney forbids bus drivers from hanging out with lever pushers. They're afraid that the exposure to the extreme stupidity will lower the bus drivers IQs even more.

I've always found the construction of those two hotels fascinating...it may not have made the most sense (as the methods didn't become widely utilized), but it was cool.

Here is a pic showing how the rooms were stacked in the construction of the Poly.

4562298-19543756-thumbnail.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1342987176196

Here is a room under construction at the US Steel facility on Vista Blvd.

4562298-19544096-thumbnail.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1342988754992

Here is a room being lifted onto a truck for transport down the road to the Poly site....or more likely "off" the truck after arriving at the Poly, as that looks like a construction site, not a factory site.

4562298-19544102-thumbnail.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1342988824353

And here are US Steel executives Lou and Bob demonstrating a model of a room. :rofl2:

4562298-19543751-thumbnail.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1342988724087

These pics came from an article here: http://www.imagineer...age-resort.html

I've always found the construction of those two hotels fascinating...it may not have made the most sense (as the methods didn't become widely utilized), but it was cool.

Cool, but not cost effective. Sounds like the monorails.

Walt's ideas when it came to entertainment were sound, but a few of his engineering ideas were too expensive and would never be used again. The utilidors and the slide-in rooms to name just two.

This method of construction is expensive, so it never caught on with land based resorts, however it is used extensively in cruise ship construction. Cruise ships do use prefab rooms.