Best way to spend the day at DHS

When the hubbs and I went to DHS last year, we both left feeling completely underwhelmed.  We are not huge thrill ride lovers, which rules out TOT and RRC for us.  The wait for TSM was too long for our taste (fastpasses were gone) and Fantasmic was not being shown that day.  In fact, the highlight of the day for both of us was the funnel cake that we ate for breakfast.  :rofl2: Neither of us are big movie buffs and we are contemplating skipping that park altogether next year, but I am afraid that I may have missed something.  For those of you who love DHS, what keeps you coming back?

I love the parade and I could spend hours in the star wars store.  You have to go there for toy story and I wouldn't consider the tower of terror a thrill ride - its an experience . . .  Last time I was there they has several shows - Indiana Jones and the extreme stunt show are fun.  I also like the backlot tour as corny as it is.  I love seeing all the costumes in the the great movie ride queue.  I like a nice dinner at the Brown Derby or the prime time cafe.  I enjoy this park - cant say we go more than once during an average stay - but I do enjoy it. 

We mainly go for TSM but with the kids we also do Voyage of the Little Mermaid, Playhouse Disney, Beauty and the Beast show, The muppets, The Great Movie Ride, Backlot Tour and the Honey I shrunk the Kids playground.  Usually skip Indiana Jones, Car stunt show, Star Wars, RRRC, ToT and Fantasmic.  The parade is good and there is always some characters aroudn somewhere - the army guys back by TSM are great.  We manage to spend a whole day and skip alot of things.

We don't spend a lot of time there either.

We usually start with an 8am breakfast at Hollywood & Vine, then rush to Toy Story Mania, then get Fast Passes, then we wander through One Man's Dream, then MuppetVision 3D, then the Great Movie Ride, then FP for TSM, then we're done.

I really enjoyed the animation studio. I still have a fondness for this park, I don't feel like I have to rush to do anything here.

The problem with the animation studio is that it is a pale shadow of it's former self.  When there were real animators there working on a picture, that was fun to watch!!  I saw them working on Mulan AND Lilo and Stitch.

DHS, like all of the Parks, has its own allure. Sure, there are somethings we like and some we don't like as much. Depending on crowds and operating hours, at line drop we grab FP for TSM (& maybe ride it also), then TOT, RRC, GMR, Muppets, Star Tours, break for lunch, then work in some more. Go back for a rest at the campground, return in the evening, ride & do some more shows, then catch Fantasmic (if it is going).

We have not returned to the Lights, Motors, Action lately, I was not real impressed with it.

I did really enjoy the original back lot tour, I thought it was more interesting. Also, their CS restaurants have really been lacking. The Back Lot Express used to have a large topping bar, like Pecos Bill or Cosmic Ray's at MK. Also, the Back Lot Canteen, next to Studio Catering, used to make a good milshake  & Studio Catering used to have some great deserts, along with the rest of their menu.

I think dhs depends on the individual, just like any ther park. Everyone has there likes and dislikes...we have a 4 yr old and 1 yr od...I love thrill rides but with kiddos its not easily done....there are alot of shows Indiana Jones, Beauty & the Beast, Muppets 3-D, lightsmotoraction show. backlot tours is ceesy, but always nice to do. TSM is an amazing fun interactive ride, BUT if you don't have a FP,...its not worth it! Little Mermaid, playhouse disney (disney junior) are cute....I liked walking thru the history on Walt's life it was neat. Classic great movie ride is always a nice break too!

The problem with the animation studio is that it is a pale shadow of it's former self.  When there were real animators there working on a picture, that was fun to watch!!  I saw them working on Mulan AND Lilo and Stitch.

The story I got was that when computer generated animation, Pixar, became the state of the art, they fired most of the conventional animators at WDW. There was no need for them. Even today, if Disney produces what appears to be the old style animation movie, it's done mostly with computers. The days of artists drawing and painting are gone as far as big budget full length animation movies are concerned. Computers are more efficient and produce a better visual product.

In my profession, engineering, the exact same thing happened even earlier. It went from sitting at a drawing board with pencil and paper to using a mouse, keyboard and CRT screen. I accepted the change and jumped on it with both feet, but a lot of guys didn't.

The story I got was that when computer generated animation, Pixar, became the state of the art, they fired most of the conventional animators at WDW. There was no need for them. Even today, if Disney produces what appears to be the old style animation movie, it's done mostly with computers. The days of artists drawing and painting are gone as far as big budget full length animation movies are concerned. Computers are more efficient and produce a better visual product.

In my profession, engineering, the exact same thing happened even earlier. It went from sitting at a drawing board with pencil and paper to using a mouse, keyboard and CRT screen. I accepted the change and jumped on it with both feet, but a lot of guys didn't.

I can understand it from a business perspective but it was a really neat attraction... all things change!

I love D.H.S.!  Then again I love thrill rides, stunt shows, stage shows, street performers, tours etc.... :rofl2: 

My DS7's main loves are there.    Star Tours/Jedi Traning Academy, Indianna Jones Stunt Spectacular, Lights Motors Action and Toy Story Mania.  It'll probably have to be our first park this year.  My youngest will still enjoy the Playhouse Disney Live show as well.

I'd love to score a great spot for Fantasmic this year but the wait time going in and the mass exodus after usually keep us from making the effort.

When the hubbs and I went to DHS last year, we both left feeling completely underwhelmed.

Oh no, I have to disagree with my Lil Lisa.

DHS is my favorite park. Thrill rides, there isn't a thrill ride I won't do.

TOT was better before they switched from the lap bar to the seat belts. If you didn't bring the lap bar all the way down, you would float off the seat when the elevator went down. Now the seat belt keep you on the seat, bummer.

When the hubbs and I went to DHS last year, we both left feeling completely underwhelmed.

Oh no, I have to disagree with my Lil Lisa.

DHS is my favorite park. Thrill rides, there isn't a thrill ride I won't do.

TOT was better before they switched from the lap bar to the seat belts. If you didn't bring the lap bar all the way down, you would float off the seat when the elevator went down. Now the seat belt keep you on the seat, bummer.

That's OK.  I still  :heart: you, Lou!  Maybe if we go together next time, you can show us around the right way to do this park. 

What to do at DHS??  Hmmm, where to begin? 

For starters, how about this:

The carrot cake cookie

DSCF3696.jpg

And then there is the peanut butter and jelly milkshake at 50's PTC:

092808039.jpg

And the fried chicken:

fried-chicken1.jpg

If you still have time after that, I could give suggestions at Sci Fi Diner or the Brown Derby. 

Oh, and I hear there are some rides and attractions at the park too.  :heart: