Death by Chocolate Cake

Death by Chocolate Cake (with step by step)

tsril-death-by-chocolate-cake.jpg
tsri-pin2.png

This cake is called Death by Chocolate, it is an amazing creation by Marcel Desaulniers.  Actually, its not even a cake..  It is a chocolate journey!  An experience of layer upon layer of fabulous decadence and incredible flavor combination's and textures that leave you in amazement.

It all starts out with a chocolate brownie layer, then a layer of chocolate ganache, then there is the cocoa meringue layer, then the mocha mousse layer, then another brownie layer.  You coat the entire cake in chocolate ganache and top it with a beautifully piped chocolate mousse.  The recipe even calls for a fabulous rum sauce, but for this occasion I omitted it.  It is an amazing sauce, I recommend you try it if you like.

With love from our kitchen table to yours!  XO

Do you  love TSRI?  Don't miss another recipe.  Click here to Subscribe to The Slow Roasted Italian by Email and receive new recipes in your inbox every day!

So, lets count the layers...

1)  Simply the Best Chocolate Brownie

2)  Chocolate Ganache

3)  Cocoa Meringue

4)  Mocha Mousse

5)  Simply the Best Chocolate Brownie

6)  Chocolate Ganache

7)  Chocolate Mousse

death-by-chocolate-slice.jpg

7 layers!  Seven layers of heavenly chocolate.  I do not recommend skimping on your ingredients in this cake.  I love Ghirardelli and Pernigotti chocolates in this cake.

So, here is how I made this masterpiece...

I started out preparing the Cocoa Meringue.  It takes 3 hours of oven time, so best get to it first.  Prepare the meringue per the instructions.  Trace the bottom of a 9" pan onto parchment paper, turn it upside down.  Transfer your meringue to a piping bag or plastic bag with no tip, cut a hole in bag and pipe a circle on the parchment, starting on the outside.  Bake per instructions.

While the meringue was baking, I prepared the Chocolate Mousse.     Prepare per instructions.  You are left with egg whites in one bowl, whipped cream in another and a chocolate mixture in the third.  You will fold them together per the directions and then set the chocolate mousse in the refrigerator until you assemble the cake.

chocolate-mousse-mixtures.jpgchocolate+mousse.jpg

Prepare the  Chocolate Ganache next.  Heat butter and cream as per directions and then pour over chocolate.  Stir until smooth.  Allow to sit at room temperature until you are ready to assemble.

cream-over-chocolate.jpgstirring-ganache.jpg

Next prepare the Mocha Mousse per the instructions.  You will have 3 bowls to fold together; the whipped cream, egg whites and chocolate mixture.  Fold together and refrigerate until needed for assembly.

mocha-mousse.jpg

You will start to prepare the Simply the Best Chocolate Brownie to go into the oven once the meringue comes out.  Prepare brownie as instructed.  After baked, and de-panned allow to cool before cutting into 2 layers.  Set aside for assembly.

simply-the-best-brownie.jpg

Assembling the Death by Chocolate

You start with a 9" springform pan on a cake circle or other pan that will fit in your freezer or refrigerator.  Place the top layer of the Simply the Best Chocolate Brownie in the pan cut side down.

simply-the-best-brownie2.jpg

Add 1 1/2 cups of the Chocolate Ganache with a ladle and smooth to the edges.

chocolate-ganache-layer.jpg

Place your trimmed Cocoa Meringue into the pan on top of the ganache and lightly press down to assure there are no air bubbles.  If your meringue breaks, reassemble it in the pan as closely as possible.

cocoa-meringue-layer.jpg

Spoon the Mocha Mousse on top of the meringue.  Spread evenly out to the sides.

mocha-mousse-layer.jpg

Place the remaining layer of the Simply the Best Chocolate Brownie, bottom side up, on top of the mocha mousse.  Chill the cake in freezer for 30 minutes or refrigerate for 1 hour.

second-brownie-layer.jpg

Remove from the freezer and cut around the edges to release from the spring-form pan. Pour the remaining ganache over the cake and use a cake spatula to spread the ganache evenly over the and sides of the cake. Refrigerate the cake for 10 to 15 minutes to set the ganache.

Fill a pastry bag with a star tip with the chocolate mousse. Pipe a circle of stars (each touching the other) along the outside edge of the top of the cake. Continue to pipe out circle of stars until the top of the cake is covered. Refrigerate the Death By Chocolate for at least 4 hours and preferably 12 hours before cutting and serving. 

death-by-chocolate-cake.jpg

Death by Chocolate Cake (with step by step)

tsril-death-by-chocolate-cake.jpg
tsri-pin2.png

This cake is called Death by Chocolate, it is an amazing creation by Marcel Desaulniers.  Actually, its not even a cake..  It is a chocolate journey!  An experience of layer upon layer of fabulous decadence and incredible flavor combination's and textures that leave you in amazement.

It all starts out with a chocolate brownie layer, then a layer of chocolate ganache, then there is the cocoa meringue layer, then the mocha mousse layer, then another brownie layer.  You coat the entire cake in chocolate ganache and top it with a beautifully piped chocolate mousse.  The recipe even calls for a fabulous rum sauce, but for this occasion I omitted it.  It is an amazing sauce, I recommend you try it if you like.

With love from our kitchen table to yours!  XO

Do you  love TSRI?  Don't miss another recipe.  Click here to Subscribe to The Slow Roasted Italian by Email and receive new recipes in your inbox every day!

So, lets count the layers...

1)  Simply the Best Chocolate Brownie

2)  Chocolate Ganache

3)  Cocoa Meringue

4)  Mocha Mousse

5)  Simply the Best Chocolate Brownie

6)  Chocolate Ganache

7)  Chocolate Mousse

death-by-chocolate-slice.jpg

7 layers!  Seven layers of heavenly chocolate.  I do not recommend skimping on your ingredients in this cake.  I love Ghirardelli and Pernigotti chocolates in this cake.

So, here is how I made this masterpiece...

I started out preparing the Cocoa Meringue.  It takes 3 hours of oven time, so best get to it first.  Prepare the meringue per the instructions.  Trace the bottom of a 9" pan onto parchment paper, turn it upside down.  Transfer your meringue to a piping bag or plastic bag with no tip, cut a hole in bag and pipe a circle on the parchment, starting on the outside.  Bake per instructions.

While the meringue was baking, I prepared the Chocolate Mousse.     Prepare per instructions.  You are left with egg whites in one bowl, whipped cream in another and a chocolate mixture in the third.  You will fold them together per the directions and then set the chocolate mousse in the refrigerator until you assemble the cake.

chocolate-mousse-mixtures.jpgchocolate+mousse.jpg

Prepare the  Chocolate Ganache next.  Heat butter and cream as per directions and then pour over chocolate.  Stir until smooth.  Allow to sit at room temperature until you are ready to assemble.

cream-over-chocolate.jpgstirring-ganache.jpg

Next prepare the Mocha Mousse per the instructions.  You will have 3 bowls to fold together; the whipped cream, egg whites and chocolate mixture.  Fold together and refrigerate until needed for assembly.

mocha-mousse.jpg

You will start to prepare the Simply the Best Chocolate Brownie to go into the oven once the meringue comes out.  Prepare brownie as instructed.  After baked, and de-panned allow to cool before cutting into 2 layers.  Set aside for assembly.

simply-the-best-brownie.jpg

Assembling the Death by Chocolate

You start with a 9" springform pan on a cake circle or other pan that will fit in your freezer or refrigerator.  Place the top layer of the Simply the Best Chocolate Brownie in the pan cut side down.

simply-the-best-brownie2.jpg

Add 1 1/2 cups of the Chocolate Ganache with a ladle and smooth to the edges.

chocolate-ganache-layer.jpg

Place your trimmed Cocoa Meringue into the pan on top of the ganache and lightly press down to assure there are no air bubbles.  If your meringue breaks, reassemble it in the pan as closely as possible.

cocoa-meringue-layer.jpg

Spoon the Mocha Mousse on top of the meringue.  Spread evenly out to the sides.

mocha-mousse-layer.jpg

Place the remaining layer of the Simply the Best Chocolate Brownie, bottom side up, on top of the mocha mousse.  Chill the cake in freezer for 30 minutes or refrigerate for 1 hour.

second-brownie-layer.jpg

Remove from the freezer and cut around the edges to release from the spring-form pan. Pour the remaining ganache over the cake and use a cake spatula to spread the ganache evenly over the and sides of the cake. Refrigerate the cake for 10 to 15 minutes to set the ganache.

Fill a pastry bag with a star tip with the chocolate mousse. Pipe a circle of stars (each touching the other) along the outside edge of the top of the cake. Continue to pipe out circle of stars until the top of the cake is covered. Refrigerate the Death By Chocolate for at least 4 hours and preferably 12 hours before cutting and serving. 

death-by-chocolate-cake.jpg

Wait wouldnt any chocolate cake be "Death by Chocolate" for you? J/K thanks for the recipe.