What is the best site for a 42' 5er at fort wilderness? I was looking at the premium. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Welcome, Brandon!

I'm not sure how much you know about the Fort, but there is a great article here which explains the four levels of sites at the Fort:  http://www.fortfiends.net/_/accomodations/loop-information/site-classifications-r61

A premium site would be a great choice for a 42' 5er, but you could also fit in a full or preferred site.  It boils down to where you want to be in the campground and how much you want to spend.

TCD

While some of the Premium sites may be a bit easier to back into due to wider concrete at the site entrances....I think the biggest determining factors of what type of site to select are location in the campground, and whether or not you want an all-concrete site or can put up with some of that coquina crap (crushed shells/sand).  If you have kids and/or dogs, that stuff WILL get in your camper.  That is the main reason I always get a premium site.  I HATE sand. 

My only problem with the premium sites is that they seem to be closer together. I like the roominess of the 1700 loop and the lower price doesn't hurt either when we're talking about a month-long stay...

I have a 40ft fiver and always stay in premium. Not because I do not move. But when we did visit for short stays, the sand pad makes a difference. With a rig that size, you have to decide whether you park the rig all on the concrete or part on the sand pad. If staying for a long period of time (a week or more) the rig will sink into the sand from the weight and movement. Enough to make the rig unstable and jiggle when moving around. If you park all on the concrete, you loose allot of site and will not be able to park your vehicle at your site.

If you park all on the concrete, you loose allot of site and will not be able to park your vehicle at your site.

Not true for every site. This is on 1710. Tires are just at the edge. I still had plenty of room for a crew cab dually cab & chassis that is about 6" longer than a regular pick up.

I do prefer the premiums, though.

20130320_145540_zpsc0bd8dd6.jpg

Not true for every site. This is on 1710. Tires are just at the edge. I still had plenty of room for a crew cab dually that is about 6" longer than a regular pick up.

I do prefer the premiums, though.

Your tires were just to the edge of the sand pad which put your stabilizing jacks (if you use them) on the sand pad. Correct?

So, if you were to park with the entire rig on the concrete, your truck would not fit.

To me, sand is not a good stabilizing substance and with the rain we get around here, it erodes away. For long stays, you will find yourself adjusting things more than need be.

Again, just my opinion.

The utilities would be way back too if you parked that far up....depending on how the camper is set up. I had to use my second shore power cord on that site I posted.

True. But that could depend on where your utilities are on your rig. Mine are all over the place. Power is in the very back and water and cable are towards the front.

Nice truck BTW.