Any thoughts or suggestions about leaving from Miami for a Disney cruise? Comparisons to Port Canaveral. Reason would be more convenient time and price. And I've never been to Miami, but maybe that's not a reason. Although I'll admit I'm 90% daydreaming at this point. But every trip starts with a dream...

Miami isn't as clean as Port Canaveral.  But closer to the ships.  At PC you have a longer, ugly ride to the shore.

Miami is a closer ride to the port.  Good hotels to be had within a cheap cab ride to the ships.  And totally worth a half day trip to South Beach.  Just avoid 13th Avenue.

It's been awhile, but I've sailed out of the Port of Miami.  Not much different from Port Canaveral.  A lot of parking lots and warehouse-like buildings.

I am not sure which one of the terminals DCL is using there, but it's not their own terminal like they have at Port Canaveral.  That shouldn't be a big deal- you won't be in the terminal very long.

I'm sure they've got a place for you to park, and porters to get your luggage on to the ship, so if the price is better and it's more convenient, go for it.

TCD

I'm not sure what you're referring to here, Gwen.

Do you mean from the dock to the ocean on the ship?  Down the canal?

I like that ride- lots of things to see.  And, I don't think it's ugly at all.

TCD

From the airport to the shore isn't pretty.

We'd be driving not flying in (couldn't afford the cruise if paid for 5 airline tickets also) so we'd be seeing a good bit of not pretty anyway. I was wondering about the terminal experience -- easy to get to?  relatively inexpensive places to stay nearby? safe to leave the car?  same check in experience as leaving from Pt. C? 

Never sailed Disney out of Miami but I have done other cruises from there. I can say this much...it is much smoother sailing from Miami than it is Port Canaveral. 

Smoother would be good. Our Dream trip from Port C last Dec. was pretty choppy the first night from the wind.  The captain said the next morning that it was worse than normal.  I was up most of the night listening to the closet door slam in a cabin above and because I felt it more when I lay down than when I was sitting up. That was the only time, though.