First Cruise - New England to Montreal

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Welcome aboard!     Convince you, maybe. We had a great time.   Dave:  I've been trying to think of something creepy from this trip to post JUST FOR YOU.  Guess what?  I can't think of a thing!    Whi

Day Five continued: When we departed PEI, the ship's captain came on the PA and let us know we would be going under the Confederation Bridge. We would clear it with 6 feet to spare! The bridge was op

You would love Canada.  Besides the areas Judy is showing, there is a town near Niagara Falls called Niagara-On-The-Lake that is about the most beautiful place ever.  Lush gardens, huge trees, inns an

I never heard of Sydney or Fort Louisbourg either. Thanks for sharing the information. It looks like a lot of effort was put in to the restoration.  Is this the equivalent of a National Park in the US?  Is Parks Canada the equivalent of the US National Parks Service? 

It is amazing what a different experience a cruise in the northeast is from a cruise to the Bahamas.

TCD

Judy already covered the Parks Canada question quite well, but I'll add that we also have some amazing Provincial Parks - similar to State Parks in America.

Sydney is a coal mining and steel making city.  The coal mines have many shafts which stretch out a few miles under the Atlantic Ocean.  They're a brave bunch, those coal miners who call themselves "Men of the Deeps".

The walled fortress at Louisbourg was the site of several battles during the French and Indian War (1754–1763).  Many New England soldiers and militiamen lost their lives at Louisbourg.  It is a great "living museum" and well worth a visit. 

There is a surprising amount of early American history here in Canada!

Judy already covered the Parks Canada question quite well, but I'll add that we also have some amazing Provincial Parks - similar to State Parks in America.

Sydney is a coal mining and steel making city.  The coal mines have many shafts which stretch out a few miles under the Atlantic Ocean.  They're a brave bunch, those coal miners who call themselves "Men of the Deeps".

The walled fortress at Louisbourg was the site of several battles during the French and Indian War (1754–1763).  Many New England soldiers and militiamen lost their lives at Louisbourg.  It is a great "living museum" and well worth a visit. 

There is a surprising amount of early American history here in Canada!

Thanks for that insight, Gary.  I would enjoy visiting that Fort for sure.

Just beautiful!!  I would love to take that trip.  The Fort, particularly the recreated homes and gardens, is fascinating. 

Me too!

It is amazing to think about what our ancestors were capable of and what they had to endure.  Can you imagine building a fort like that with the tools that they had available then?  It's almost inconceivable.

TCD

Brave?  More like crazy!  I'm afraid of water ... have claustrophobia ... in a mine a few miles under the Atlantic??   You'd have to bury me first.  IMHO those people deserve at least $1,000 an hour.

Stunning pics!

Thanks, Gwen.

...Sydney is a coal mining and steel making city.  The coal mines have many shafts which stretch out a few miles under the Atlantic Ocean.  They're a brave bunch, those coal miners who call themselves "Men of the Deeps"...

The guide didn't tell us about the mines.  I bet if the men want to stay in Sydney, they either work in the mines or on the fishing boats like their fathers and their grandfathers. 

...It is amazing to think about what our ancestors were capable of and what they had to endure.  Can you imagine building a fort like that with the tools that they had available then?  It's almost inconceivable...

TCD

...and add to that the long, cold winters. 

Did your tour in Halifax get you to the Titanic Exhibit or the cemetery where many of the victims are buried?

No.  There was a tour that included the Exhibit and cemetery; but, we decided on the walking tour with time left over to walk around the waterfront.   The guide did tell us about the restaurant that was the town funeral home at the time of the disaster.   Halifax had a big part in the aftermath. 

Brave?  More like crazy!  I'm afraid of water ... have claustrophobia ... in a mine a few miles under the Atlantic??   You'd have to bury me first.  IMHO those people deserve at least $1,000 an hour.

It would be interesting to see how much everyone would make if their salaries were based on perceived worth.  These miners, teachers, firefighters would make a lot more... politicians not so much. 

While you were in Halifax did you hear about the explosion?

During WW1 a ship loaded with munitions was in a collision in the harbor.  It lost power, caught fire and drifted to the main dock before exploding.

It was the biggest man-made explosion until the Enola Gay dropped her little bundle of fun on Hiroshima during WW2.

Most of Halifax was levelled in the explosion!

Just getting caught up after the holiday weekend, and this is a great trip report.  I live in Massachusetts and we have thought about this cruise a few times (no parking needed for us, just a short drive away).

How was the food?  The beer selection looks good!  But the photos are making me much more interested in the various ports.

Oh, and the photo of the Flower Bridge in Shelburne - you should check out the YouTube videos of the devastating flooding along that river from Hurricane Irene.  You would be frightened - very scary!

Day Five - Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island

We started most mornings in the Crow's Nest watching the sun come up.  It's at the front of the ship above the bridge... By day it was a gathering place...  trivia with "Your Cruise Director Bruce" at 4:00 PM follow by Dancing with the Stars dance lessons and contest, then happy hour and finally a dance club.  Early mornings though, only a few people showed up to watch the sun rise.  The leather lounge chairs made it a comfy place to watch the world go by.  Since we didn't arrive until 9:00 AM, we had lots of time to watch this morning.

DSC01074.jpg

This channel marker was the only one we noticed with a bell.   It was ringing merrily as we passed by.  We made up stories about "Charlie the happy little channel marker", how he went about his job tirelessly day after day with no thanks until one day there was a big storm... huge waves were making it difficult for the ships to make their way.  Charlie rang as loud as he could until he didn't know if he could ring any more...  Then a big rainbow spread across the sky, and the storm moved on.  Charlie save the ships and now they toot their horns in thanks everytime they pass the "happy little channel marker".  The End

DSC01073.jpg

We pass another lighthouse.  This one has a camper.  all along the way people would stop to watch the ship pass.

DSC01078.jpg

We arrived in Charlottetown at their small port:

DSC01100.jpg

...and were met by Anne of Green Gables and a real honest to goodness Mountie!

DSC01101.jpg

DSC01103.jpg

I didn't read the Anne of Green Gables books until I got my Nook several years ago. Since we were stopping at PEI, the tour to Green Gables was at the top of the list.

On the way we passed a McDonalds.  Note the maple leaf in the middle of the arches. Only Canada is allowed to make changes to the arches. The tour guide also said that the local McDonalds sell lobster rolls.

DSC01108.jpg

We drove by lovely rolling farm land:

DSC01113.jpg

DSC01114.jpg

DSC01117.jpg

We stopped at a traffic light next to a cemetery.  The guide pointed out the grave of Lucy Maude Montgomery - the author of the Anne of Green Gables books. It's the one with the red flowers:

DSC01130.jpg

DSC01160.jpg

We finally arrived at Green Gables:

DSC01132.jpg

We toured the house:

DSC01133.jpg

DSC01135.jpg

DSC01137.jpg

DSC01139.jpg

DSC01144.jpg

...the gardens  complete with hollyhocks:

DSC01152.jpg

DSC01156.jpg

The trail through the Haunted Wood (it now takes you to a golf course instead of Diana's house):

DSC01153.jpg

DSC01154.jpg

After Green Gables, we stopped by the National Seashore:

DSC01165.jpg

We headed back to the ship for a very interesting evening... more Day Five to come.

After Green Gables, we stopped by the National Seashore:

DSC01165.jpg

What a beautiful picture!!  For several of our flights to Russia we flew up over the Bay of Fundy and PEI, and I remember looking out the window trying to spot the beautiful coastline.  Especially on the flights home, knowing that we were back over North America....it was good to see the coastline if daylight and clouds allowed.  But I've never been there on the ground. 

While you were in Halifax did you hear about the explosion?

During WW1 a ship loaded with munitions was in a collision in the harbor.  It lost power, caught fire and drifted to the main dock before exploding.

It was the biggest man-made explosion until the Enola Gay dropped her little bundle of fun on Hiroshima during WW2.

Most of Halifax was levelled in the explosion!

Yes, the tour guide told us about the explosion and the ships involved.  She also pointed out landmarks to explain the vastness of the devastation.   It was horrible.

Just getting caught up after the holiday weekend, and this is a great trip report.  I live in Massachusetts and we have thought about this cruise a few times (no parking needed for us, just a short drive away).

How was the food?  The beer selection looks good!  But the photos are making me much more interested in the various ports.

Oh, and the photo of the Flower Bridge in Shelburne - you should check out the YouTube videos of the devastating flooding along that river from Hurricane Irene.  You would be frightened - very scary!

I liked eating at the Lido buffet.  There was always a wide array of food.  As you read my comments, keep in mind that I'm not a fancy food person.  When I eat at Disney, it's usually at the counter service restaurants and I'm fine with that.

For breakfast there were the standard cereals, both cold and hot, an omelet station, make to order waffles with fresh fruit, pancakes (plain, blueberry, banana), the meal area had scrambled eggs, pork and turkey bacon, sausage, hand carved ham, etc.  Donuts and muffins if you wanted.  Fresh fruits and yogurt.  There were things I wouldn't consider for breakfast; but, then they must cater to lots of different tastes - broiled tomatoes, lox, cheeses for example.

We only ate lunch once on board. They had a sandwiches, a panini bar, soups, salads, fruits, a pasta with various sauces.  The pool cafe always had something going on.  Hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken sandwiches, tacos, nachos, pizza.  Several days they had special events around the pool.  When we departed Boston we had a BBQ around the pool with all the fixin's.  One day we had poutine (french fries with gravy etc, a Canadian favorite).  On our PEI day they had all you can eat Blue Mussels which are grown on PEI. 

For supper there were Italian and Asian stations.  There was always some sort of steak, chicken, fish with lots of sides.  A nice salad bar.  Lots more fresh fruits. Always 3-4 flavors of ice cream and lots of other desert options.  

The Rotterdam restaurant offered seated meals. There were also two specialty restaurants that were about $10 - $20 extra - one Italian the other a steakhouse.   On this ship there was only one main dining room since it is a smaller ship - 1250 people.  Compare it to the Disney Dream that can have 4,000 people.

There's always the free room service, too. 

Day Five continued:

When we departed PEI, the ship's captain came on the PA and let us know we would be going under the Confederation Bridge. We would clear it with 6 feet to spare!

The bridge was opened the 1997 and joined PEI and New Brunswick. It is 8 miles long and is the longest bridge over ice covered waters in the world. www.confederationbridge.com Tolls are only charged leaving PEI. $44.50 for the first two axles, $7.25 for each additional axle.

It took so long for the decision to be made to build it because people thought the ice would crush the bridge supports. Someone finally came up with the idea to have the supports wider at the bottom and narrower toward the top so the ice can rise up and fall away. Here is a link to the website to show you what I'm trying to explain: http://www.confederationbridge.com/about/confederation-bridge/design.html

It was cold and windy on the deck above the Crow's Nest:

DSC01189.jpg

We were up there early so we sat down on the deck to get out of the wind:

DSC01190.jpg

More people started coming up as the sun was setting:

DSC01194.jpg

DSC01197.jpg

DSC01607.jpg

DSC01609.jpg

DSC01611.jpg

That was exciting!

Since the next way was a sea day, the Indonesian crew members put on a show of their native dances and songs at 11:00 PM in the Showroom at Sea. While none should quit their day jobs, they were enthusiastic and had a wonderful time putting on the show. It was the one show we attended where no one left before the end. They received a standing ovation!

What a beautiful picture!!  For several of our flights to Russia we flew up over the Bay of Fundy and PEI, and I remember looking out the window trying to spot the beautiful coastline.  Especially on the flights home, knowing that we were back over North America....it was good to see the coastline if daylight and clouds allowed.  But I've never been there on the ground. 

Thanks, Dave.  Every time I've flown over the area it was cloudy.  You were lucky to get to see it from the air.

Finally got a chance to catch up on this report.

I love bridges. I find them fascinating. My 11 year old daughter is the same way.

I think I am going to share this report with my mom. She has never been on a cruise before and I really think she would like this one. One question I do have is how accessible was the ship and the excursions? She has MS and uses a cane for short distances, but would need to use a scooter or wheelchair for longer distances.

I notice that y'all had on light jackets. What were the temperatures like? The Public Garden was just gorgeous. I guess I typically think of Canada as the frozen north!

You would love Canada.  Besides the areas Judy is showing, there is a town near Niagara Falls called Niagara-On-The-Lake that is about the most beautiful place ever.  Lush gardens, huge trees, inns and shops and cafes. 

Day Five -

We pass another lighthouse.  This one has a camper.  all along the way people would stop to watch the ship pass.

DSC01078.jpg

Sorry to interrupt this most excellent trip report, but isn't that trailer way too big for that SUV?

Tolls are only charged leaving PEI. $44.50 for the first two axles, $7.25 for each additional axle.

Is that a typo?  $44.50?!  Yowsah.

TCD

Finally got a chance to catch up on this report.

I love bridges. I find them fascinating. My 11 year old daughter is the same way.

I think I am going to share this report with my mom. She has never been on a cruise before and I really think she would like this one. One question I do have is how accessible was the ship and the excursions? She has MS and uses a cane for short distances, but would need to use a scooter or wheelchair for longer distances.

Holland America caters to a largely older crowd.  There was a lady with a small foldable scooter (she sounded eastern European), a man in a wheelchair and several people with canes.  There are four elevators in both the front and back of the ship and ramps anyplace there are a few steps  The only issue I can see is getting the tender into a port; but, I think she would be able to take a folded wheel chair into the tender with her. 

More stunning pics!  I especially loved the PEI ones since I'm a huge Anne of Green Gables fan.

I was wondering about the temps too.  It's hard to imagine cruising to a colder climate.

Bar Harbor was in the 80's.  Most other days were in the high 60's or low 70's my mid-afternoon.  Evenings on the veranda or open deck were cool to cold because of the stiff breeze.  Our room came with two wool throws that came in handy when we sat on the veranda after the sun went down.   I took long johns but didn't use them.  Keep in mind that in August it is in the low 80's when I leave for work at 6:15 AM and 100+ by mid-afternoon.  I'm not used to the cooler temps. 

A fairy ride? I'm sure that costs more than 44 bucks.

TCD

:rofl3:    :fairydust:

The tour guide said it doesn't cost any more to take the bridge than the ferry and then you aren't at the mercy of the ferry's schedule.   

Good catch.  I guess a ride on Tinkerbill's back down that wire from the castle would cost more than $44. 

Great idea!

Let's form a start-up company to raise funds to build a giant zip line to PEI.  You can wear your fairy costume and give people rides back and forth.  I'll bet you could get $50 a ride.  Wouldn't take long at all to make our money back and then it's all profit.

I'll handle all the ticket sales and money. 

TCD