Advice For Orlando - Off Disney

I will be in Orlando next week on business - Sadly - Im not staying at the Fort.  I just cant be that far away from the Convention Center.  I may be able to squeek in a quick visit one afternoon but mainly I'm going there to work.  I was looking for resturant options for in the evening.  I would love nothing more than to walk around Epcot but we arent getting our annual passes until October.  I am thinking off-Disney resturants.  Thanks!  Whip

Is the convention center closer to Downtown Disney or Universal?

We really enjoyed the Irish place in Downtown Disney and we also enjoyed both of Emeril's at the Universal City Walk.  We enjoyed Emeril's  Tchoup Chop best. 

I prefer embassy suites when I travel for business.  They are reliably clean and comfortable - generally expensive but its not my money and my boss likes me to be happy.  I'm an account manager for a company that designs, builds and sets up mega trade show booths.  So I am really lucky - I get to travel to fun places usually 8 or so times a year.  I would say 6 out of 8 of those times - I end up at embassy suites.  I stayed at the Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress the last time I was in Orlando - I hated it.  The only other place I will stay in Orlando when there on business is if one of our conventions is at the Gaylord Palms - I will stay there because its so convienent to be right there in the hotel (I hate the beds though - too hard).  You would think I know Orland really well - I have been there a number of times - but I really just have a hard time hitting the returants right.  I think I will take a ride out to AKL this time.  I have always wanted to see it - thanks for the suggestion!     

I like Embassy Suites too......  When we come to Disney now, we tend to stay in time shares we rent through AFVC (Armed Forces Vacation Club).  They cost $349/week now and are awesome.  There are other places you can get good rates too.  In December we stayed at Polynesian Isles and Bonnet Creek.  Both were great for different reasons.  When I get around to it I will post a review of both of them.

I'm surprised you didn't jump on the AFVC sale they just had, Al.  $299.