My DD8 will be turn 9 in a week. Besides an American Girl doll she wants a digital camera. I've seen a lot of your pix on this board and I know there are a bunch of excellent photographers on this board. Neither my DW nor I are tech savvy so we would like something easy for her to use and upload to the computer and print.

It also must be tough enough for a 9 yr old. Any suggestions?

I would check out the Sony Cybershots. Easy to use with a turn knob to pick out different modes that shows a drawing to help understand what the mode is best for. Fairly sturdy and nice quality to the pictures. We used on one our Road trip around the country and have had it for years now. If Sil hasnt broken it yet it must be pretty sturdy. And when you plug it in to the computer you can move the files just like if it was an external hard drive or a thumb drive. 

What is your price range?

I have the Canon underwater camera. It's shock proof to several feet and it doesn't matter if it gets wet. I liked my old one so much I bought the new version recently. Zachary has dropped my old one about a thousand times and it's still ticking.

I like the Nikon Coolpix cameras.  Have two.  The first one has problems b/c I was exiting the moho and dropped it about six feet onto the pavement.  It still works, but occasionally focus isn't quite right on closer objects.  

Nikon has rechargeable batteries.  Don't know about other brands, but I wouldn't buy anything that doesn't.  

Shop around online for the best price.  Don't go somewhere like Best Buy and pay retail.  There are great discounts to be had on camera equipment.  PM me if you'd like to know where I buy most of my equipment.  They have some of the best prices around and also ship very quickly.

I would check out the Sony Cybershots. Easy to use with a turn knob to pick out different modes that shows a drawing to help understand what the mode is best for. Fairly sturdy and nice quality to the pictures. We used on one our Road trip around the country and have had it for years now. If Sil hasnt broken it yet it must be pretty sturdy. And when you plug it in to the computer you can move the files just like if it was an external hard drive or a thumb drive.

We have an older Cybershot. I think it's a 4 or 5 megapixel camera. We use our iPhones now. The iPhone takes a better picture. It was a great camera and your right it is easy to use. I'll check it out. Thanks.

What is your price range?

I have the Canon underwater camera. It's shock proof to several feet and it doesn't matter if it gets wet. I liked my old one so much I bought the new version recently. Zachary has dropped my old one about a thousand times and it's still ticking.

I was hoping to spend less than $200. But I could spend more if I need to. On our last couple of trips DW bought her a disposable underwater camera and she loved it but it took lousy pix. I'll look into the canon underwater camera. Is it easy to use? Download?

I like the Nikon Coolpix cameras. Have two. The first one has problems b/c I was exiting the moho and dropped it about six feet onto the pavement. It still works, but occasionally focus isn't quite right on closer objects.

Nikon has rechargeable batteries. Don't know about other brands, but I wouldn't buy anything that doesn't.

Shop around online for the best price. Don't go somewhere like Best Buy and pay retail. There are great discounts to be had on camera equipment. PM me if you'd like to know where I buy most of my equipment. They have some of the best prices around and also ship very quickly.

Sent you a PM. Thanks

I was hoping to spend less than $200. But I could spend more if I need to. On our last couple of trips DW bought her a disposable underwater camera and she loved it but it took lousy pix. I'll look into the canon underwater camera. Is it easy to use? Download?

It's super easy to use. Zachary is 4, and he uses my old one now. I originally got it because we have a boat and didn't want to worry about people spilling stuff on it or it getting wet because it's fun to take pictures of everyone splashing around. It takes good underwater pics too though. Everyone loves doing that. There are some underwater pictures of Z in my last trip report.

Like Jason was saying, you can just hook the camera to the computer and move files onto the computer. There is a cord to connect it, or my laptop has a slot for the memory card. It has a rechargable battery. I agree with Gwen.... that's really important.

This is the new version that I bought recently.  http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-Waterproof-Stabilized-Wide-Angle/dp/B0075SUKIC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379077669&sr=8-1&keywords=canon+underwater+camera

The card also fits in the Canon Selphy photo printer. I have an older version of this. http://www.amazon.com/Canon-SELPHY-CP900-Wireless-Printer/dp/B008FYGKES/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379077841&sr=8-1&keywords=photo+printer

The shock proof part has come in handy for sure.

I'm leaning towards an underwater/waterproof camera.

Dumb question. Does any of the underwater cameras float? That would be a great feature.

We to have a boat and FIL has a houseboat and we tie up all summer long. I could see the camera being dropped in The water.

Have you considered getting an aquapac?  See http://store.aquapac.net/.  I have one for my little Coolpix and have used it while snorkeling.  Works great.  Might save you some money overall since waterproof cameras tend to be more expensive.  And most of the aquapacs float.

I'm leaning towards an underwater/waterproof camera.

Dumb question. Does any of the underwater cameras float? That would be a great feature.

We to have a boat and FIL has a houseboat and we tie up all summer long. I could see the camera being dropped in The water.

I have a strap for mine that I ordered when I bought the new version. I chose this one.... http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Foam-Float-Strap-202212/dp/B0014E02AO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1379086963&sr=8-2&keywords=camera+float

I think an water and shock proof camera is a good idea.

But, that is not the route I took with my girls.

There are plenty of great options on Amazon which cost half or more what a water and shock proof camera costs.  They come in cute colors, and are smaller and easier to handle.  My view was that if I'm paying half of what a more expensive camera will cost, I can buy a replacement if something happens, and still be ahead of the game.

As far as connecting to the computer, most computers these days have built in readers for the SD memory cards which is standard for the point and shoot digital cameras.  You just plug in the card, and you're in business.

For a 9 year old girl, I would pick one of the Canon point and shoot cameras in the  $75 to 100 dollar range, and let her enjoy that. You can replace that in a few years with something nicer.  In my experience, if you get two years' use out of a camera which is used by a kid, you're doing good.

TCD

I have a professional camera and LOVE to take pics so my husband got used to not having one on him but when he deployed to Afghanistan, we got him an underwater camera (more for the dust than water)-the Kodak Sport C123(less than $150) and it's been great! He dropped it several times while out on missions but the only thing that happened was some of the external paint now looks worn. It still preforms great and when he met us at Disney for R&R we were able to use it at Typhoon Lagoon (great shots of the shark reef) and on Kali River Rapids. The video capabilities are what surprised me the most. Because it's water-proof, you can play back the video images but until it's uploaded to a computer you won't be able to hear the audio. I was really impressed with the clarity in the audio and the picture quality. Also, it's super easy to switch back and forth between the "underwater" setting and the automatic regular settings.

Amazon has it here: http://www.amazon.com/Kodak-EasyShare-Waterproof-Digital-Camera/dp/B004FLL5C2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379094066&sr=8-1&keywords=kodak+sport+c123