I saw on facebook today that after October 5 we can no longer get the Handicapped Assistance Pass.  Instead we will get something that will allow us to get a pass similiar to fast pass.   Does anyone know if this is really true?  There are only about 4 things our children can go on in their wheel chairs and this would mean waiting all day to ride just one or two.

This is ridiculus. 

I read it was going to be October 9th. The way I see it is that Disney is punishing the majority of honest GAC users because of the few that abuse it. Why not stop the people who take advantage of the system. It seems like it would be easier to get rid of a few abusers than to try to change an entire system.

It seems like it would be easier to get rid of a few abusers than to try to change an entire system.

All they have to do is require "Proof of Need" from a physician or your "Handicap Placard" registration that the state gives you. I have heard the excuse that they can't because of Fed Law and that is BS, they just can't ask what the specific medical issue is.

I read it was going to be October 9th. The way I see it is that Disney is punishing the majority of honest GAC users because of the few that abuse it. Why not stop the people who take advantage of the system. It seems like it would be easier to get rid of a few abusers than to try to change an entire system.

No offense to anyone who truly has a need for this service, but I fail to see how this is a punishment. Disney is still making accommodations to allow everyone access to the attractions. 

The new system is not just being implemented because of abuse. It is to make the park more efficient. Imagine this scenario. The posted wait time is 45 mins when you get in line. All of the sudden, 4 families arrive with a GAC and 6 family members each. Not to mention the FP returnees at the same time. Now the 45 mins you thought your were waiting suddenly becomes 65 mins and Disney has no control or foresight. With the new system, they can track this much better and make the experience better for everyone. 

All they have to do is require "Proof of Need" from a physician or your "Handicap Placard" registration that the state gives you. I have heard the excuse that they can't because of Fed Law and that is BS, they just can't ask what the specific medical issue is.

Due to federal laws, Disney (a private company) cannot ask for proof of a medical condition. The state can get away with it as they are a government agency. If Disney starts requiring proof of disability, they could get into law suites for invasion of privacy and discrimination if they deny service if anyone does not want to divulge that information.

Judy, with FP and the new GAC, I think you guys will be fine for the 4 rides you do, especially with FP+. You'll be able to schedule times for 3 attractions a day.

This is a true statement. You still get FP or FP+. So you could ride up to 7 rides in a day. 4 FP+ selections, plus the additional return times for the DAS system. That's more than an average guest would get. So you still make out better than everyone else. The only thing you loose with the new system is the front of the line privileges and the ability to ride over and over and over on any ride you want.

I for one think the new system is an improvement over the old system for both the guest and Disney. And yes, I do visit the park with my nephew who is disabled and confined to a wheelchair. So I am familiar with the difficulties associated with this. Will the system need tweeked, probably. But Disney Is on the right track. The ones who I have seen upset about the system seem to be bent on the fact that the unlimited FP they once had is gone and loose sight of the bigger picture that Disney is making the park equally accessible for everyone.