Will the real Yeti be back?

I am a total sissy when it comes to coasters, Big thunder really tests my limitations. Please explain what the real yeti and the shadow yeti are to someone who will most likely never ride it. ;D

Below is Disney's description of what it's supposed be. I'll let someone else describe what it's actually like.

Scene 9: The Yeti

The track straightens out for approximately 100 feet, rising at a slight angle. Ahead is the creature itself. The Yeti stands on the edge of a cliff, one hand clutching a dangling section of broken track. As the train thunders past, the Yeti leans out and swipes at the passengers with its free hand, howling in defiance.

There is a huge animatronic Yeti.  When it is in 'A' mode, it actually moves and swipes at the train.

When it is in 'B' mode it doesn't move, but strobe lights flash to make it appear to move.  The last time I rode it, the strobe light wasn't even working.

Apparently, the Yeti's movement is actually tearing itself apart or tearing up it's structure, not sure which.

(This ride was really complicated.  The mountain, the Yeti, and the track had to be indepently structured from each other cause the movement of the train would cause the mountain structure to crack, the movement of the Yeti would cause problems for the mountain structure also.  They just didn't build "his" structure strong enough.

I read an article once that when Joe Rohde came to visit, they got "A" mode working long enough for his visit and then shut it back down again after he left.  They should have left it broke, so he could see what was wrong.  He has enough pull to get it fixed!!

I read an article once that when Joe Rohde came to visit, they got "A" mode working long enough for his visit and then shut it back down again after he left.  They should have left it broke, so he could see what was wrong.  He has enough pull to get it fixed!

Joe is in Imagineering which are the concept and big picture people. With 40 years of factory automation and robotics design experience, I can tell you that those types typically live in LaLa land. I made a career out of working for them. To many of them turn over the pretty pictures that they had somebody else draw to the real engineers and designers and say make this crack pot idea a reality, I'll be back in two years to take credit. That is unless they've moved on to another position. The Peter Principle runs rampant at Disney.

The department at WDW that gets very little credit because the Imagineers get all the hype, is the little heard of Ride & Show Engineering. They along with the sub contractors are the ones that have to deliver, maintain, and revise the actual equipment.

Because I was in the field and even did some engineering design and build work as a sub-contractor, I got a first hand look at the inner workings off Ride & Show Engineering. I got to see what they were all about. I was very surprised that they were using engineering software that was out dated. I would have to take two steps backwards in order to use it. It was disappointing because the perception is that Disney uses nothing but the best. Nothing could be further from reality. They don't have the best engineers because of the ridiculous property wide internal hierarchy system and hiring evaluation criteria.   

:rofl2: That was so funny!  He is Tall, balding,older than me, perfect and mine!  :dance:

We will be there on the 17th until the 25th and again Sept 25th - Oct 6th  Can't wait!!  And I am bring our Green Fiend sign, there are no ears on it so I think we will be safe.    :siren: By Sept I may have a Purple one done....

• 1 month later...