I've been having way too much fun this past week. My husband is on nights for the month of October which means I've had quiet time (or as quiet as a house with two small kids can be) in the mornings while he's sleeping and I've been obsessively Googling TTs and all the new-to-me terms and options.

We're going to our first RV show in Oklahoma City on Friday. Any suggestions on what to look for? Ask? Avoid? (For the record, most of the research we've done has been with Keystone options...specifically we're leaning towards the Outback 250RS or something similar)

The floor model/brand you pick is ultimately what works for you, your budget, your tow vehicle limits.  

However, once you make a decision and put down that money, be RELENTLESS on the delivery check-out.  Check EVERY little nook and cranny, every system, spray it down with water while you are there, and check every nook and cranny, again. Check the water system, and look for leaks on every thing, sink, shower, toilet. Check the slides, open and shut them a few times, etc.  Someone made a recommendation to me once is to take delivery on a Thur or Friday, then camp in it IMMEDIATELY afterwards nearby the dealer, just testing everything, and be prepared to drop it back at the dealer on Monday morning for ANYTHING you find wrong. Also, that would be a good time to have any minor upgrades you realized you must have!

Then once you get it back from that set of tweaks, then camp in it again soon after driving it a little further to see how it performs on the road, then take it back to the dealer again for any other tweaks. Another opportunity for upgrades.

Then after that is all ironed out, plan your first real adventure!!!

Many folks plan an adventure in their new unit and are disappointed by issues, or flat out have to cancel cause the unit is in for warranty work.

When you are doing all of the checking Carol listed above, also check the tires. Make sure they are the correct ones. I have a friend who bought a camper and the tires that came on it weren't the proper size as listed in the specs. The tires the trailer came with were for a lighter weight trailer.

Also, check the actual age of the tires. Your brand "new" tires on a brand new trailer could actually have been made over a year ago.

Since 2000, the week and year the tire was produced has been provided by the last four digits of the Tire Identification Number with the 2 digits being used to identify the week immediately preceding the 2 digits used to identify the year.

We had an Outback and loved it!  Looking at getting a new one soon.

We went to the Hershey RV show and just gathered info.  We were not yet ready to buy, but many of the sales people we spoke to told us the "show specials" would be good for a brief time after the show if we had the flyer/business cards they were distributing and went to their dealership afterward.  RV shows are fun but can also be overwhelming.  Be careful not to get "sucked in"…know what you want and don't be tempted to buy more trailer than you need or can tow because those sales people would try convince you that you can tow a giant 5'er with a VW beetle if they thought they could.  They are coin operated, for sure!

Have fun. We were going to try to make the show this weekend in okc but I have to go winterize the houseboat before the first freeze, and its DD fall

break. We are going to try to make it back early on Sunday and go then. If you happen to go back on Sunday drop me a pm. Me, DW and DD would love to Matt you and your gang.

Don't sweat missing out on the "SHOW PRICE".  Unless there are factory incentives that expire, that show price will always be available, you might have to do some negotiating  to get it.  They are not going to sell at a loss anytime.  If they make money on Saturday at the show they will still make money a couple weeks later selling off their lot at the same price..

This is the fun part so don't be in a hurry to buy anything.  You are trying to buy at the best time of year.  The end of camping season.  Be prepared to compromise on features if the deal on an end of the model year unit is at least 30% below sticker.  Carol is right about doing a thorough walk through and test of the units features.  There is no substitute for actually standing in the unit and imagining how you would live in it.  Try to imagine how you would cook a meal or what you would take in you refrigerator and what you would have to leave behind because they tend to be small.  Stand in an area and spread your arms to see if you can change your shirt or put on your socks.  Sit on the toilet.  Stand in the shower and imagine yourself using those things.  Dealers may take a dim view of actually using them.  Figure out how the kids and DH would fit into the beds.  Turn on the A/C to see if it is too noisy.  My final piece of advise is to buy Quality.  Search this site and other RV sites for peoples experiences with different brands.  All TT's are not made the same.  If the caulking or cabinets don't look excellent than just imagine what the stuff you don't see looks like. 

This is the fun part.  Don't be in a hurry to buy anything.  All TT's are not made the same.  Carol is right about doing a thorough walk through and test of every component or feature.  Search this web site and others for discussion about other peoples experiences with different makes and models.  There are some that are always lower on the quality scale than others.  There are some that have built in problems.  Tanks that can't be filled up because the vents are located in the wrong place and stuff like that.  Quality will always hold up better and last longer.  You are looking at the best time of year.  Dealers are closing out their inventory and trying to negotiate better deals with manufacturers for better allocations for the coming year.  You may have to compromise on features or color to get a unit that has been sitting on his/her lot for a year but you should expect at least 30% below sticker in return.  This is the fun part.  Imagine yourself in the unit you are standing in.  Its hard to do that from a picture on the web.  Imagine using the galley to cook your favorite meal.  Imagine what you would bring and what you would leave behind because the refer won't fit a case of beer.  Sit on the toilet and stand in the shower to see if you or DH will fit.  Dealers take a dim view of actually using them so just imagine.  That is the fun part.  Paying, not so much. 

The floor model/brand you pick is ultimately what works for you, your budget, your tow vehicle limits.  

However, once you make a decision and put down that money, be RELENTLESS on the delivery check-out.  Check EVERY little nook and cranny, every system, spray it down with water while you are there, and check every nook and cranny, again. Check the water system, and look for leaks on every thing, sink, shower, toilet. Check the slides, open and shut them a few times, etc.  Someone made a recommendation to me once is to take delivery on a Thur or Friday, then camp in it IMMEDIATELY afterwards nearby the dealer, just testing everything, and be prepared to drop it back at the dealer on Monday morning for ANYTHING you find wrong. Also, that would be a good time to have any minor upgrades you realized you must have!

Then once you get it back from that set of tweaks, then camp in it again soon after driving it a little further to see how it performs on the road, then take it back to the dealer again for any other tweaks. Another opportunity for upgrades.

Then after that is all ironed out, plan your first real adventure!!!

Many folks plan an adventure in their new unit and are disappointed by issues, or flat out have to cancel cause the unit is in for warranty work.

Wow. Thanks. I'll be sure to make a list from all of these great tips and bring them with me when we go through the check-out process.

When you are doing all of the checking Carol listed above, also check the tires. Make sure they are the correct ones. I have a friend who bought a camper and the tires that came on it weren't the proper size as listed in the specs. The tires the trailer came with were for a lighter weight trailer.

Oh wow. Thanks.

Also, check the actual age of the tires. Your brand "new" tires on a brand new trailer could actually have been made over a year ago.

Since 2000, the week and year the tire was produced has been provided by the last four digits of the Tire Identification Number with the 2 digits being used to identify the week immediately preceding the 2 digits used to identify the year.

That's good to know!

We had an Outback and loved it!  Looking at getting a new one soon.

We went to the Hershey RV show and just gathered info.  We were not yet ready to buy, but many of the sales people we spoke to told us the "show specials" would be good for a brief time after the show if we had the flyer/business cards they were distributing and went to their dealership afterward.  RV shows are fun but can also be overwhelming.  Be careful not to get "sucked in"…know what you want and don't be tempted to buy more trailer than you need or can tow because those sales people would try convince you that you can tow a giant 5'er with a VW beetle if they thought they could.  They are coin operated, for sure!

So glad to hear a positive review of the outback! We're not technically in a hurry to buy (although we can't wait!) and we're generally not impulse buyers but if we go and there's a great offer one that we KNOW we can use (within our weight and price limits and a floorplan/options we like), we're open to buying. 

Don't sweat missing out on the "SHOW PRICE".  Unless there are factory incentives that expire, that show price will always be available, you might have to do some negotiating  to get it.  They are not going to sell at a loss anytime.  If they make money on Saturday at the show they will still make money a couple weeks later selling off their lot at the same price..

That's a good point.

This is the fun part so don't be in a hurry to buy anything.  You are trying to buy at the best time of year.  The end of camping season.  Be prepared to compromise on features if the deal on an end of the model year unit is at least 30% below sticker.  Carol is right about doing a thorough walk through and test of the units features.  There is no substitute for actually standing in the unit and imagining how you would live in it.  Try to imagine how you would cook a meal or what you would take in you refrigerator and what you would have to leave behind because they tend to be small.  Stand in an area and spread your arms to see if you can change your shirt or put on your socks.  Sit on the toilet.  Stand in the shower and imagine yourself using those things.  Dealers may take a dim view of actually using them.  Figure out how the kids and DH would fit into the beds.  Turn on the A/C to see if it is too noisy.  My final piece of advise is to buy Quality.  Search this site and other RV sites for peoples experiences with different brands.  All TT's are not made the same.  If the caulking or cabinets don't look excellent than just imagine what the stuff you don't see looks like. 

This is the fun part.  Don't be in a hurry to buy anything.  All TT's are not made the same.  Carol is right about doing a thorough walk through and test of every component or feature.  Search this web site and others for discussion about other peoples experiences with different makes and models.  There are some that are always lower on the quality scale than others.  There are some that have built in problems.  Tanks that can't be filled up because the vents are located in the wrong place and stuff like that.  Quality will always hold up better and last longer.  You are looking at the best time of year.  Dealers are closing out their inventory and trying to negotiate better deals with manufacturers for better allocations for the coming year.  You may have to compromise on features or color to get a unit that has been sitting on his/her lot for a year but you should expect at least 30% below sticker in return.  This is the fun part.  Imagine yourself in the unit you are standing in.  Its hard to do that from a picture on the web.  Imagine using the galley to cook your favorite meal.  Imagine what you would bring and what you would leave behind because the refer won't fit a case of beer.  Sit on the toilet and stand in the shower to see if you or DH will fit.  Dealers take a dim view of actually using them so just imagine.  That is the fun part.  Paying, not so much. 

I would never have thought about the vents. Is there a thread or site that lists common issues to look for other than what everyone here has already so kindly educated us on?  

PS>I'm completely flexible on color and some features for the right deal!

Have fun. We were going to try to make the show this weekend in okc but I have to go winterize the houseboat before the first freeze, and its DD fall

break. We are going to try to make it back early on Sunday and go then. If you happen to go back on Sunday drop me a pm. Me, DW and DD would love to Matt you and your gang.

I wish we could. We'd love to meet up with you too but we're only open Friday and Saturday so we thought we'd beat the crowds-or at least some of them on Friday. With all the fall breaks this week, I'm sure it'll still be pretty busy.