I've been thinking....scary I know......anyhow, to annual pass or just stick with our military discount tickets.  We can get military annual passes but I'm wondering if I can trade in my 4 day hoppers w/ wp and no expiration for the military like I can with the regular annual pass.  We have two upcoming trips, 8 days and 10 days.  I'm liking the annual pass gig because I think it would help me get over the "we have to stay in the park all day" mentality because we paid a small fortune for them.  I think it would also give us more freedom with less planning.  I'm looking at passes for myself and my daughter, the younger one still gets in for free and my husband is deployed so we just need two.  I'm looking to possibly add a third trip in the Feb/March time frame.  Is the AP worth it for us? 

You can upgrade the military salute tickets, BUT, you get face value for them and the expiration date of the new AP would be the first day you used the military salute tickets. So, you would be better off just getting the AP to start. Less hassel.

I would say get the AP. You have 3 trips planned for the year. Buying tickets each time will rack up a nice cost. This way, you can come and go as you please and don't have the guilt feeling if you only spend a few hours in the park.

The tickets we have are actually old tickets from the 80's that my inlaws gave us and we turned them into cards instead of paper at our last trip in August, they are the non expiring, all inclusive ones that we have yet to use. I'm hoping they will give us a decent face value for them to make it worthwhile.

Having an annual pass will forever change how you plan your visits to WDW.  In a good way.

Lots of us advocate planning  "Fort Days" during a stay at the Fort- that's a day that you don't visit parks and hang out and enjoy all the Fort has to offer.  We do that, but we will squeeze in a park visit too.  Maybe just to see fireworks, or to get an ice cream cone in Epcot, or to eat a meal at a certain restaurant.  When you have an annual pass, you can throw your spreadsheets out the window and have fun.

Since your youngest is young enough to not require a pass, this is a great time for you to give an AP a try,  It's a great thing to have with small kids.  For example, you could bring the kids to the MK with swimsuits under their clothes, and let them have a blast in the Casey Jr. splash zone.  Then leave.  No pressure.  How great would that be?

TCD

Having an annual pass will forever change how you plan your visits to WDW.  In a good way.

Lots of us advocate planning  "Fort Days" during a stay at the Fort- that's a day that you don't visit parks and hang out and enjoy all the Fort has to offer.  We do that, but we will squeeze in a park visit too.  Maybe just to see fireworks, or to get an ice cream cone in Epcot, or to eat a meal at a certain restaurant.  When you have an annual pass, you can throw your spreadsheets out the window and have fun.

Since your youngest is young enough to not require a pass, this is a great time for you to give an AP a try,  It's a great thing to have with small kids.  For example, you could bring the kids to the MK with swimsuits under their clothes, and let them have a blast in the Casey Jr. splash zone.  Then leave.  No pressure.  How great would that be?

TCD

Thats what intrigues me about the AP, no planning!  We tried that in August and while we did have a great time, we felt pressured and it led to frustration.

Thats what intrigues me about the AP, no planning!  We tried that in August and while we did have a great time, we felt pressured and it led to frustration.

That's what's great about an annual pass.  When my kids were young, we would head to a park with only one or two things planned.  We would do those things, and whatever else we felt like doing.  Sometimes the park would not be crowded and we would get a lot done.  Sometimes it would be crowded and we might try a show or something that we had never seen, or just leave because it was too busy.  The playgrounds in the parks are a lot of fun, but if I was using a day pass to visit, I wouldn't want my kids "wasting" time on something like that.  With an AP, you don't care.  Everybody's happy.

TCD

AP's are definitely the way to go and it seems like you'll be getting your moneys worth out of them.

I agree with what everyone is saying about just coming and going with no pressure.

Go for a ride or two, then leave and hang out at the camper.  Go back later if you feel like it or not.

You will suddenly become the cool mom instead of the crazed mom checking her phone for ride times and trying to get everything done in a day!

We have Seaworld/Busch Gardens passes.  Busch is close enough for us just to go over for a couple of hours to walk around and catch a show or let my granddaughter just play in the various playgrounds. 

Just like TCD said, you wouldn't want the kids in a playgound if the clock was ticking on a one day pass.

Plus you sometimes get perks with an AP, at least you do with Seaworld/Busch passes.  Busch this month gives you two free beers a day.  Last month was a free photo.

And if they don't give you enough credit on your current tickets, hold onto them.

You may not stay a passholder forever, especially when your husband comes back (extra pass) or you move further away.

Don't passholders get the TIW card at a discount?  I always thought $300 was the break even point.

But, that means you have to spend $300 (or $500?) on mainly sit-down meals before you save the first dollar with that card.

I bought a TIW card once.  It took me a long time before I broke even, and all in all, it wasn't a good deal for me and the way we eat at WDW.  I see the value for someone who does a lot of sit-down meals.  That's not how I roll.

TCD

TCD, you can only get the TIW if you are a passholder or a DVC member.  Last year the price went up from $75 to $100.

We've found that there are several sit-down restaurants where we can eat with the TIW for less or very little more than a counter service.  And we get a much better meal.  For example, we can have lunch at the Plaza Restaurant -- portions are so big that we split an entree, I get a wonderful sugar-free milkshake, and David gets dessert -- for about the same price as lunch at Pecos Bill's.

The last time we purchased one, we didn't save any money on our first trip but definitely saved on our second.

On our upcoming trip, paying for 8 people to eat breakfast at Trail's End, 8 for dinner at Whispering Canon -- then two people for 3 breakfasts at TE, 1 lunch at LTT, 1 lunch at Chefs de France, and 1 dinner at Cape May, we will save after paying for the card.  Then our trip in the fall of 2014 all our meals out will be at 20% off.

Everyone just needs to do the math and decide for themselves whether TIW is worth the cost.  We don't eat a lot of meals out, but being able to get in 2+ trips on the card makes it worth the expense for us.

WHAT? ???

I didn't know that!

Is that good with the Fun Pass?

Do you remember the days when you could get free beer every day?  I miss that!

TCD

No Fun Pass

Good times are on tap for Pass Members

Throughout October, stop by Crown Colony Pub, pull up a chair and have a couple of draft beer samples on us*. Just present your active Pass and photo ID (must be 21 or older) and we'll treat you to two free 10oz. beer samples per visit, exclusively for Pass Members.

*Offer available to Busch Gardens Tampa 1-year, 2-year and Platinum Pass Members age 21 or older with a valid photo ID. Not available during Howl-O-Scream®. Offer only valid between October 1-31, 2013. Offer is non-transferable. May not be combined with any other offers. Pass Members must present their own Busch Gardens Annual Pass to redeem. Please drink and drive responsibly. Busch Gardens reserves the right to refuse service of any alcoholic beverage to any guest who is unable to provide proper identification, or appears to be intoxicated.

Ours is a Platinum from Seaworld San Antonio and they took it with no problem.

Yes I remember the free beer days, and they served it at the Bird Garden area and the Crown Colony, so if you were ambitious you could get twice the amount.

I also remember our first "annual" pass.  We bought a summer fun pass, it was good from May thru August  and it was $25.  At the end they offered to extend it until the following Spring for $15. This was probably either 1979 or 1980.

The good old days. 

But they were only open until 6 in the off season because they didn't have lights.  And they had the Bud brewery tours.

I don't want to get too far off the subject here, but in my view, the sit-down meals are grossly overpriced at WDW.  So, "saving" money eating there doesn't make financial sense to me.  How exactly is paying 20% less for something that costs double what it should saving money?

What does one buffet dinner meal at Trail's End cost?

Compare that to the cost of a take out chicken dinner.  Or a pizza. Or a meal at your site.

Eating at a sit down restaurant in WDW is a rare treat for us.  We don't do it often enough to justify a TIW card.

TCD

I don't want to get too far off the subject here, but in my view, the sit-down meals are grossly overpriced at WDW.  So, "saving" money eating there doesn't make financial sense to me.  How exactly is paying 20% less for something that costs double what it should saving money?

Compare that to the cost of a take out chicken dinner.  Or a pizza.

Eating at a sit down restaurant in WDW is a rare treat for us.  We don't do it often enough to justify a TIW card.

TCD

See Sil and I are just the opposite. While we dont have the earlier experiences that a lot of you do from before the dining plan, we really enjoy eating at a lot of the Disney restaurants. For us that is a huge part of our trip. We have both tried new foods we never would have and we enjoy the chance to sit and relax with each other while we eat. There are some restaurants we havent enjoyed and have not gone back too. We also enjoy quite a few of the counter service restaurants. 

Compare that to the cost of a take out chicken dinner.  Or a pizza.

TCD

For just me and the girls, I agree.  We did the dining plan this past August(Me, Hubs and one child) and while it was fun and easier than me cooking, it probably wasn't worth it for us.  

I have a few character meals spread out over our next trip but I'm still not 100% sure on keeping them because its not the best way to spend our money with the girls being so young.  Granted I'm only paying for myself and one child but with our dietary restrictions we don't get the moneys worth, it's mostly for the experience and their joy.

See Sil and I are just the opposite. While we dont have the earlier experiences that a lot of you do from before the dining plan, we really enjoy eating at a lot of the Disney restaurants. For us that is a huge part of our trip. We have both tried new foods we never would have and we enjoy the chance to sit and relax with each other while we eat. There are some restaurants we havent enjoyed and have not gone back too. We also enjoy quite a few of the counter service restaurants. 

For you and Sil, and Gwen and David, and others who enjoy it, then sure, it's a good deal.  I'll bet they sell a lot of TIW cards, so there are plenty of folks who agree with you.

I think we are all agreeing with each other: it's a nice thing for some folks, but not a great deal for others.

TCD