Well, I had the dealership install the new EGR cooler and only got 10 miles down the road before something really let go.  Coolant spewed all over my windshield and smoke began to pour out of the engine and all my air vents.  Had it towed to another dealership were I will be trading it in Monday morning.  We'll have to miss the first 2 days of our reservation.  :(

We're at an RV park in Houston for now.

Sorry to hear that.

Sounds like that dealer doesn't have a good diesel mechanic. It's unexcusable for things like that to happen after a dealer works on a vehicle. A road test would have at least saved you another tow.

Good luck on the trade and new truck.

So sorry to hear this :(   I was one of the wonderful people Ford sold a 2004 truck but decided to give me a 2003 engine.

That was always my worst fear while towing.

I agree, aftermarket mods are the way to go with the 6.0.

Lets see,  through the years I have:

8 new style injectors

FICM upgraded & tuned

EGR Delete

Blue Spring Mod

New Oil Cooler

New Y Pipe

New Turbo

Flushed Ford coolant and replaced with Zerex ELC

Added Coolant Filter

Replaced rear main seal

Installed Insight CTS engine monitoring system

Add Temp probe in exhaust manifold for Insight

More flashes than I can count.....

This doesn't count normal maintenance like batteries & such.

But, she does pull the new trailer nicely!

Does that Insight monitor oil temp and coolant temp? That's the key to a 6.0.

Normally, the sequence of failures in a stock 6.0 goes like.....oil cooler begins to plug up and cause a high EOT/ECT differential, plugged oil cooler starves EGR cooler, EGR cooler burns through, coolant enters intake and flashes to steam, cylinder pressures increase, the TTY headbolts stretch, head gasket failure.

It took me a while to trust my 6.0 after I had it worked on, but so far so good, and I have run it hard towing. Having ARP headstuds in it makes me not worry on those long climbs.

Well, I had the dealership install the new EGR cooler and only got 10 miles down the road before something really let go.  Coolant spewed all over my windshield and smoke began to pour out of the engine and all my air vents.  Had it towed to another dealership were I will be trading it in Monday morning.  We'll have to miss the first 2 days of our reservation.  :(

We're at an RV park in Houston for now.

That's terrible!  I hope you get it worked out as best as possible.  

Weren't the 6.0 power strokes recalled several times for this very problem?

There were several TSBs, but never a recall.

Sorry to hear that.

Sounds like that dealer doesn't have a good diesel mechanic. It's unexcusable for things like that to happen after a dealer works on a vehicle. A road test would have at least saved you another tow.

Good luck on the trade and new truck.

Agreed!! A good Ford Diesel mechanic is worth his weight in gold.

Does that Insight monitor oil temp and coolant temp? That's the key to a 6.0.

Normally, the sequence of failures in a stock 6.0 goes like.....oil cooler begins to plug up and cause a high EOT/ECT differential, plugged oil cooler starves EGR cooler, EGR cooler burns through, coolant enters intake and flashes to steam, cylinder pressures increase, the TTY headbolts stretch, head gasket failure.

It took me a while to trust my 6.0 after I had it worked on, but so far so good, and I have run it hard towing. Having ARP headstuds in it makes me not worry on those long climbs.

Yes, EOT and ECT are two of about 100 things it can monitor.  Ive thought about going with ARP headstuds, but just haven't made the move.  Everyone tells me that once the EGR is bypassed the studs become a non issue unless you tune it and add HP.  No tunes for me!