A pre-Christmas vacation to Gatlinburg

As many of you know my son plays high school football and basketball. Finding time to take a family vacation is almost impossible. We live by the sports calendar.

I happened to look at his basketball schedule and noticed he would have no practices and no games from Sunday, December 22-Thursday, December 26th. I brought up going to Gatlinburg to Steve. He agreed and the search for where to stay began.

After much research we decided on the Clarion Inn and Suites right in the parkway.

So with the decision made of where to stay we now had to find out when we were going to leave. DS was playing in a high school basketball tournament on December 20th and 21st. We knew the time for the first game, but the two after that would be determined by them winning or losing. If they lost the first or second game we would get on the road early.

They won the first two games and were playing in the championship game. That didn't start until 7:00pm. Oh well we had the car packed and ready to go.

It was actually good for me as it gave more time to get things ready for Christmas Eve as we would be returning home that day.

Did they win the championship game?

Sadly they did not win, but played hard against a very athletic 6A team. They are a 4A team. DS had a good game.

http://highschoolsports.al.com/news/article/-8796237659360752489/boys-basketball-athens-defeats-pope-john-paul-ii-63-46-to-win-wills-valley-shootout/

Once the coach and AD were done talking to the team we were on the road.

Being as we were in Fort Payne already an hour was already cut off our travel time. This was good as we would lose an hour when we crossed into the Eastern time zone.

The drive up was unevenful ....well up until some one decided to cross 3 lanes of traffic horizontally. Thank goodness Steve was driving and had time to react. When, I saw the car pass in front of us I noticed the driver was looking down like she was texting. Thank the Good Lord no accident happened.

With that scare behind us the only decision we had left to make was which route would we take to get to Gatlinburg.  Typically we go all the way to I 40 and come around through Cosby, TN.  We never even bother dealing with the Pigeon Forge traffic.  But this time we would be going through around 12:30am so, we decided to take the Pigeon Forge route.  It was a breeze.  

Passed by the Titanic Museum.  Rachel is really wanting to go here.  

1483225_10201560180740351_1707087844_n.j

Got to Gatlinburg at 1:00am and Steve went to check in at the hotel.  I had called earlier to tell them we would be late so they would not give away our room.  The lady told me our reservation was guaranteed until 7am the next day.  Apparently she forgot to write anything down and our requested room facing the parkway was given away.  So they offered us a King Suite facing the parkway for the same price as what we were paying for a room with two queen beds.  This suite had a separate living room area with a fireplace and a jacuzzi tub in the bedroom area.  

Thank you to all who are reading along and commenting.  

I do have to warn Dave though.  I did not get any pood forn.  I was not even sure I was going to do a report and really wanted to just relax and enjoy my kids through my eyes and not through the lens of a camera.  

After awhile we decided to go walking around.  Went into a few stores and Steve and I also had some samples of whisky.  For some reason we enjoyed that shop more than the kids.  

There is this great coffee shop that we like so, we went there.  Also in the same area is a shop that has a German restaurant upstairs.  We went into the shop to get some cheese and sausage for later.  Then decided to go ahead and share some sandwiches and bratwurst.  DS ate most of the bratwurst and well let's just say he payed for it later.  

So much for the lunch meat and bread I had packed for lunches while we were there.  

We continued our walk and after stopping in a few more shops to browse went back to our room.  

Jessica decided she wanted to try out the jacuzzi.

1503949_10201543204875965_501632684_n.jp

After resting for awhile it was time to go to dinner.  We were close to one of our favorite restaurants Smoky Mountain Brewery, but decided instead to go to the Cherokee Grill.  Both restaurants are in the same area.  We had a positive experience the last time we were at the Cherokee.  This time not so much.  The service was slow and the food just ok.  

Oh yeah remember how I said DS would be paying for the bratwurst and kraut he ate earlier?  The poor baby next do us.  Steve says he was crying telling his parents, "It wasn't me. I swear."  I am just glad I was sitting on the other side of the huge booth.  

We went back to the room after dinner and Steve decided he wanted to get a calzone from this Italian restaurant Best Italian Cafe and Pizzeria.  He also got the kids a cheesecake for dessert. The calzone was the size of a football.  

The next day was pretty much a repeat of the first.  I had wanted to take the trolly ride where you could see all the lights, but when I went to check on it they were already sold out.  Boo!

Jessica and I at this point had split off from the others.  

1521595_10201547561424876_1106532160_n.j

We liked this tree with the pig on the top.  

1504550_10201547800670857_1785818331_n.j

It was a bit chilly and we hadn't heard from everyone else so we headed back to the room to warm up. Loved having that fireplace.

A little while later we heard from them and they asked if we wanted to go play mini golf.  That is one of our traditional things to do while we are there.  So we put on our jackets and headed out to meet them.  We always go to the mini golf place that is right next to the mirror maze.  Sometimes we will go through the maze too, but decided not to this time.  Jessica ended up getting 3 hole in ones.  This helped to off set her 5s and 6s and put her in 3rd place.  Drew  and I tied for 2nd and Steve won.  Rachel came in last.  

They day had passed by quickly and once again it was time for dinner.  This time we decided to go to the Smoky Mountain Brewery.  I have to say we were disappointed here as well.  The service just does not seem to be as good as it once was.  

Steve apparently had promised the kids dessert at the Melting Pot so we headed there following dinner.

1534902_10201551588205543_1287460200_o.j

Oh yeah and he went and picked up another calzone.  This one was devoured by him and the kids.  

Wow! Time flies when you are having fun. It was now Christmas Eve day and it looked like we would be getting a little bit of a White Christmas.

1497805_10201555484702953_82384351_n.jpg

We were able to get a late check out and headed to Bubba Gump for lunch.  

This sleigh was right near our hotel and I made the kids pose for a picture.  

1519104_10201560145339466_1417959819_o.j