Neat article on Allears.net about Discovery Island

That was a pretty interesting article. I was told by a CM last time I was at the Fort that the island was designated as a wildlife protection area (or something like that, brain is fuzzy) to gain of some tax credits when it was developed into Discovery Island. Now they can't build on it because it's designated as protected land and it's difficult to change the status back (although Disney is working on it).

Does anyone know if there is truth to that, or was the CM just telling tall tales?

Because if she was just telling tales, then I know of a nice DVC project they can relocate to that land...  :clint:

Would have been good for the Avatar land, too.

I am a little confused....  When we did the Wishes cruise this year the captain was naming the islands as we went past them and I am sure he named one of the others we went by Blackbeard's.

The article says that one of the islands in the Seven Seas Lagoon was renamed Blackbeard's Island after they abandoned that name.

This old Fort map shows Discovery Island as Blackbeard's Island:

1971mapp4_zps0aa5cab9.jpg

I have heard the other island in Bay Lake called Shipwreck Island.

And, I believe the island closest to the Grand Floridian is called Beachcomber Island.

Anyone know the names of any of the other Seven Seas Lagoon islands?

That was a pretty interesting article. I was told by a CM last time I was at the Fort that the island was designated as a wildlife protection area (or something like that, brain is fuzzy) to gain of some tax credits when it was developed into Discovery Island. Now they can't build on it because it's designated as protected land and it's difficult to change the status back (although Disney is working on it).

Does anyone know if there is truth to that, or was the CM just telling tall tales?

Because if she was just telling tales, then I know of a nice DVC project they can relocate to that land...  :clint:

Would have been good for the Avatar land, too.

Sounds like more CM misinformation to me.

There are all kinds of land use plans floating around, and I've never seen anything to indicate that Discovery Island has some kind of special restriction on it.

I wouldn't be surprised if they use it as some type of recreation amenity for the new DVC resort, if it ever gets built.

TCD