Character Experience Outside of Parks

My wife are bringing out kids down to the Orlando area this summer- either late June or sometime in July. We're staying at the Thousand Trails park in Clermont in our camper. We have a 10 year old daughter and a son who will be 2 years old by the time that we go. We are planning on doing mostly Sea World and some of the surrounding attractions (going up to Crystal River for swimming with the manatees, going to Port Canaveral, etc).

But, here's the reason for my post- we would like to do some kind of dining/character experience for my son. He *loves* Mickey, Minney, Goofy, Toodles (the whole Clubhouse gang), Jake and the Neverland Pirates and Doc McStuffins. The two things that we've found that seem like they would be decent fits are:

1) Mickey's Backyard BBQ

PROS: get to dance and play with the characters

CONS: seems like a big place and overbearing parents block views; outside venue in the summer; will my 2 year old be overwhelmed with the crowd + characters

2) Chef Mickey's

PROS: the characters come to your table for a quick meet/greet and photo

CONS: not much "play" with the characters (like the dancing w/ the BBQ); less than great food (we were there a couple of years ago and weren't wowed; worse that we really dislike buffets)

Are there other options? I think we did a meal in the Grand Floridian a couple of years ago when we stayed there. But it was really princess/prince geared. Great for my then 8 year old. Thinking my 2 year old won't be too into it.

Just doing a quick google search, i found something at the Cape May Cafe, with Minnie, Donald and Goofy in beach attire.

Here is a review that might be helpful: http://www.disneytouristblog.com/cape-may-cafe-character-breakfast-review/

Fort Wilderness

Outdoor Movie-campfire smores & Singalong-Meet Chip and Dale

Polynesian

Ohana breakfast

I believe its Mickey, Pluto, Lilo, and Stitch

Good food served fresh/family style

I had forgotten about the Campfire S'mores and Singalong. That sounds like it will be a nice thing to go visit one of the nights.

I do pretty much love anything at Ohanas. :)

Ependydad,

Glad to see you found your way over here, now why don't you try to join us in Gettysburg for our grand Gathering at Granite Hill, not sure what full hookup sites left that are close but I am sure there would be something close.

Ependydad,

Glad to see you found your way over here, now why don't you try to join us in Gettysburg for our grand Gathering at Granite Hill, not sure what full hookup sites left that are close but I am sure there would be something close.

Surprisingly have been a long time, low posting member here. :)

When is that? We're likely headed down to Williamsburg at the same time. :(

On edit, I see it now:

http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/11920-2014-easter-grand-gathering-in-gettysburg-pa/

Yeah, over Easter, we're likely headed the other way.

Surprisingly have been a long time, low posting member here. :)

When is that? We're likely headed down to Williamsburg at the same time. :(

We always plan it for Easter weekend but with schools out at different times it gets confusing just as long as we don't get the rains like the 1st time.  Check out the thread here http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/11920-2014-easter-grand-gathering-in-gettysburg-pa/

We LOVE the Backyard BBQ and went in April of 2012 and 2013. You can see pictures and info from my 2013 in my trip review (link in signature). In 2012, I did a seperate review of it, but I can't find it. Try searching under Dining Reviews. I'm on my way out the door.

I will warn you though that July might be HOT. There isn't air conditioning. But the interaction with the characters is AWESOME! If you decide to go, I'll give you more tips.

Kelly- thanks for the info and links!

I think we've actually pretty well narrowed down that we are going to go to Chef Mickey's. The being outside part of the BBQ is killing it (late June/early-mid July is our approximate timeframe) and we like the characters there better than the others for my son's interests at this time. We think we're going to go mid-week one evening so our weekends stay free to go play elsewhere (I have to work full-time while we're down there).

Thanks everyone for the input!

Kelly- thanks for the info and links!

I think we've actually pretty well narrowed down that we are going to go to Chef Mickey's. The being outside part of the BBQ is killing it (late June/early-mid July is our approximate timeframe) and we like the characters there better than the others for my son's interests at this time. We think we're going to go mid-week one evening so our weekends stay free to go play elsewhere (I have to work full-time while we're down there).

Thanks everyone for the input!

Probably a wise move because of the temperature.