Bloomberg article about the new Magic Band technology

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-03-07/disney-bets-1-billion-on-technology-to-track-theme-park-visitors#p1

Jason McInerney and his wife, Melissa, recently tapped their lunch orders onto a touchscreen at the entrance to the Be Our Guest restaurant at Florida’s Walt Disney World Resort and were told to take any open seat. Moments later a food server appeared at their table with their croque-monsieur and carved turkey sandwiches. Asks McInerney, a once-a-year visitor to Disney theme parks: “How did they know where we were sitting?”

The answer was on the electronic bands the couple wore on their wrists. That’s the magic of the MyMagic+, Walt Disney’s (DIS) $1 billion experiment in crowd control, data collection, and wearable technology that could change the way people play—and spend—at the Most Magical Place on Earth. If the system works, it could be copied not only by other theme parks but also by museums, zoos, airports, and malls. “It’s a complete game changer,” says Douglas Quinby, vice president for research at PhoCusWright, a travel consulting firm.

Click on link above for more:

The knucklehead that wrote that piece needs to get his facts straight.

He writes in response to how did the server know where the couple was sitting at BOG, "the answer was on the electronic bands the couple wore on their wrists". Unless it's changed, it's the Magical Rose that is given to guests that connects their food order to their table, not the MagicBands.

The problem I have with magic bands is how Fastpas+ is implimented.  It forces people to plan what park they are in 180 days out. If the time was changed to scheduling FP+ for the next day, that would be good with me. Same with scheduling resturants.

We like changing which park we are going to during the trip.  It lets us decided based on weather and the energy level of the group. IT is hard to do 180days out.

The next time we go will will not even have all of the members of our family present 180days out.

He writes in response to how did the server know where the couple was sitting at BOG, "the answer was on the electronic bands the couple wore on their wrists". Unless it's changed, it's the Magic Rose that is given to guests that connects their food order to their table, not the MagicBands.

I thought I read that if you had FP+ or maybe paid with your Magic Bands they could use the magic bands instead of the rose to locate you.

I thought I read that if you had FP+ or maybe paid with your Magic Bands they could use the magic bands instead of the rose to locate you.

If true, that goes against what I was told in writing by a direct representative of the executive in charge of implementing the MyMagic program. That no long range tracking of specific guests is or will be done.

He writes in response to how did the server know where the couple was sitting at BOG, "the answer was on the electronic bands the couple wore on their wrists". Unless it's changed, it's the Magic Rose that is given to guests that connects their food order to their table, not the MagicBands.

My daughter was there last weekend, and if you paid using your Magic Band, they would use that for finding the table.  My daughter used the rose. 

The passive RFID system Disney is using doesn't facilitate live tracking. But they can connect the dots from turnstile to Cinnamon roll purchase to FP+ usage at splash mountain.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

I think the range is short for the rose as well and the table itself is where your location is detected.  At least that was what we were told when we ate there during the trial period before it opened.

The passive RFID system Disney is using doesn't facilitate live tracking. But they can connect the dots from turnstile to Cinnamon roll purchase to FP+ usage at splash mountain.

Except for the part where you'd need one of these for the Cinnamon roll purchase...

:drwho-smiley: