Epcot – New IllumiNations Dessert Party Beginning March 15, 2014

I have not heard mention of this yet. Title says it all.

Celebrate the cultures of the world during the new IllumiNations Sparkling Dessert Party, beginning March 15. The party will include international desserts and sparkling wines in an intimate, exclusive setting with a clear view of the World Showcase Lagoon for the Epcot nighttime fireworks spectacular, IllumNations: Reflections of Earth.

Celebration takes place Wednesday, Friday and Saturday evenings 7:45pm - 9:20pm at Epcot World Showcase Plaza.

Cost will be $49 for adults and $29 for children.

Aha.

Here that is on the Epcot map.

It's the same area that they use for FP+:

worldshowcaseplaza_zpsb1434680.jpg

TCD

No thank you. That's the area they cram all the special viewing. You wont have room to enjoy your deserts.

They have that landing over by France they use for special events. Why not use that and have a truly intimate experience?

The plaza doesn't sound too intimate. Have to play twister just to get to your cream puff.

No thank you. That's the area they cram all the special viewing. You wont have room to enjoy your deserts.

They have that landing over by France they use for special events. Why not use that and have a truly intimate experience?

The plaza doesn't sound too intimate. Have to play twister just to get to your cream puff.

Agreed- but the area they use for FP+ is very small.  Remember- guests have to forgo Test Track, Soarin' and Maelstrom to get an Illuminations FP+.

We chose Illuminations FP+ on one of our early MB trips, only because we made the reservations the day of, and nothing else came up.

I marked the area we were confined to on this aerial photo- it wasn't the best place we've ever watched Illuminations:

illuminationsviewing_zpsef7b4893.jpg

The area I circled was roped off and open while we were crammed in behind the gift shop.  I asked a CM if I could watch from over there, and he said no- it's a fall-out zone for the fireworks.  Which I thought was a bunch of BS, because I think I've seen guests watch from there.  I'll bet the area I circled will be where they set up the tables for the dessert party guests.  That wouldn't be such a bad place to watch Illuminations.

I've seen groups using that viewing area near the bridge by France- I guess they will continue to reserve that for other groups,.

TCD

Agreed- but the area they use for FP+ is very small.  Remember- guests have to forgo Test Track, Soarin' and Maelstrom to get an Illuminations FP+.

We chose Illuminations FP+ on one of our early MB trips, only because we made the reservations the day of, and nothing else came up.

I marked the area we were confined to on this aerial photo- it wasn't the best place we've ever watched Illuminations:

The area I circled was roped off and open while we were crammed in behind the gift shop.  I asked a CM if I could watch from over there, and he said no- it's a fall-out zone for the fireworks.  Which I thought was a bunch of BS, because I think I've seen guests watch from there.  I'll bet the area I circled will be where they set up the tables for the dessert party guests.  That wouldn't be such a bad place to watch Illuminations.

I've seen groups using that viewing area near the bridge by France- I guess they will continue to reserve that for other groups,.

TCD

That wouldn't be too bad then. They would need an area big enough to set up the buffet tables and such plus the tables and chairs. So that would make sense.

That FP+ viewing area looks horrible. I wouldn't waste a FP+ on that. You can find much better viewing areas on your own. Save the FP+ for Capt EO.

That FP+ viewing area looks horrible. I wouldn't waste a FP+ on that. You can find much better viewing areas on your own. Save the FP+ for Capt EO.

It was pretty bad- see how there's a grassy area there in front of the rail?  You couldn't even get up to the edge of the lagoon.

Plus, it was crowded, and most people couldn't even get up to the rail.

Definitely not a good use of a FP+- and this is a top tier one too!  It's so bad that even though there was a glitch that allowed me to pick all tier one choices for my latest trip, I didn't even pick Illuminations.  But, no, I didn't pick Captain EO.  I still have only seen it once.  The TCD DD's refuse to go back.

TCD

Excerpt from the Disney Food Blog article...

Which desserts are included? An array of treats from around World Showcase, including (but not limited to): Prosecco and tiramisu from the Italy Pavilion, baklava from Morocco, and Vanilla Pot de Crème from France.

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2014/03/13/news-epcot-illuminations-sparkling-dessert-party-reservations-now-available/#more-103505

TCD

The "fall out zone" may be truthful.  On one of our trips we were able to sit there and few nights later they didn't let anyone sit there because of the direction of the wind.  We were standing there with a CM at the hold back rope, when the "fire marshall" came up and told the CM that we couldn't use that are the wind was blowing too hard in that direction.  

If it is a nightly decision, then they will have to have an alternate location for the desert party on nights the wind is blowing too hard.

The "fall out zone" may be truthful.  On one of our trips we were able to sit there and few nights later they didn't let anyone sit there because of the direction of the wind.  We were standing there with a CM at the hold back rope, when the "fire marshall" came up and told the CM that we couldn't use that are the wind was blowing too hard in that direction.  

If it is a nightly decision, then they will have to have an alternate location for the desert party on nights the wind is blowing too hard.

Good point!  Whenever anyone asks where the best spot to watch Illuminations is, the first thing I say is "depends on which way the wind is blowing."

Unless you like flying particles in your face.

Aha!  I was pretty certain I had seen guests in that area before.  You're probably right about the wind.  It will be interesting to see if the dessert party is set up there or somewhere else.

Either way, in my opinion, it's a waste of a tier one FP+ to select Illuminations.

TCD

A review of the Illuminations Dessert Party at Epcot has been posted to the Disney Foog Blog.  Full article...

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2014/03/16/first-look-and-photos-epcots-sparkling-illuminations-dessert-party/

Excerpts...

Dessert-party-Menu-581x625.jpg

Dessert Party Menu

Dessert-Party-Eats-600x336.jpg

Dessert Party Eats

Offerings included Cronuts (called Cronis here, apparently), strawberry sauce, Tiramisu, Pot de Creme, Baklava, fresh fruit, shortbread, and ice cream goodies like Mickey bars, Mickey ice cream sandwiches, orange creme pops, and other ice cream novelties.

France-Pot-de-Creme-600x368.jpg

France Pot de Creme

Italy-Tiramisu-388x625.jpg

Italy Tiramisu

Morocco-Baklava-446x625.jpg

Morocco Baklava

Dessert-Party-Drinks-600x366.jpg

Dessert Party Drinks

Prosecco-385x625.jpg

Prosecco

Alcohol-304x625.jpg

Wine

Oh I don't doubt that.  Or there will just be one line that will be a mile long.

We did the dessert party that's part of F&W a few years ago.  For almost the same price (I think it was $50-$55 per person) there was an ENORMOUS spread of desserts, fruits, cheeses, etc., plus live music, plus a ton of drink stations where they were very free-wheeling with the refills.  And on top of that you got reserved seating for Illuminations in roughly that same area.

Now THAT was well worth it.  It was actually probably one of the best "deals" we've ever gotten at WDW.