I am new to this site.  We have a vacation booked for the end of August.  We have never stayed at the Fort before, but there will be 6 of us so thought this would be the most economical for us.

Is it crazy that we are booked in the preferred sites with tents?  My husband has trouble walking a lot, and he will get plenty in the parks so I booked preferred.  We will be setting up two tents.  Is this an unusual thing for preferred sites?  I didn't want to spend money for golf cart that would just sit most days being unused. 

Another question, can we only have two tents or can we set up 3?  Two would be small and one would be a larger tent?

Final Question, Is it strange to set up an AC to cool the tent (I have seen websites that show how to set up the AC through the doors of the tent).

First of all:Welcomepic_28.gifThere are tents used in all level of sites and since the preferred sites have a large sand pad you will be fine. Also many people rig up air cond in their tents in the summer months. Also go to the members section and introduce yourself. Have a great trip.

Hi and Welcome! I'm not positive that being in a preferred site will decrease the amount of walking. Someone else will need to chime in, but isn't the bus stop at the settlement the bus stop for the preferred loops? If you are going anywhere other than the MK you will need to take a bus. Having a cart makes things a lot easier to get around and is fun. It definitely increases the cost, but may be worth it to you.

I hope y'all have lots of fun!

The rules technically say 2 tents, but Disney is... shall we say... a bit lax in enforcing those kinds of rules.  As long as they're all on your site, you should be fine.

Preferred sites will get you closer to the Settlement area - Pioneer Hall, Trading Post, Marina, but as Rita mentioned, to get to any park but the Magic Kingdom, you're going to need to catch an internal bus to the Outpost.

There's a map on this page that might be helpful - Preferred loops are 100, 200 and 300...

http://www.fortfiends.net/_/info/fort-wilderness-transportation-map-r195

A/C in a tent has definitely been done.  We even have a page with instructions for one type of setup that a fellow Fiend put together...

http://www.fortfiends.net/_/misc/campingtips/setting-up-air-conditioner-in-a-tent-r192

Oh and WELCOME!!

• 2 weeks later...

We always stay in the preferred loops (ok, almost always. We tent camped in 2000 once). We've even tent camped in a preferred loop on several occasions.

Does it cut down on a lot of walking? We think so. My dad has knee problems, so he tries to cut down on walking when he can. Maybe if we actually calculated the amount of walking, it wouldn't add up to much of a savings. But, it seems like it, so we choose preferred. We love staying in huge Settlement area, anyway.