From the Disney Parks Blog...

The Mark VI Monorail made its debut at Walt Disney World Resort in June 1989. Below is a look at one of the first trains being loaded onto the monorail track.

DWM069532-613x412.jpg

The Mark VI trains had wider monorail doors, improved air conditioning (great for that warm, summer Florida weather) and communication systems and increased interior height for standees.

DWM069533-613x409.jpg

The first two Mark VI Monorails were operated and tested at night without guests until December 1989 when Monorail Blue started transporting guests. This new fleet of monorail trains, built by Bombardier, increased guest capacity by 30 percent.

DWM069535-613x874.jpg

Today, the Mark VI Monorail trains carry an average of 16 million passengers annually at the Walt Disney World Resort, and is still one of the coolest “non-attraction” attractions, in my opinion, at Walt Disney World Resort.

See the posts below for more on the history of Monorails at Disney Parks:

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2014/04/the-history-of-the-walt-disney-world-monorail-mark-vi-1989-present/

Ok, cue the bus driver monorail bashing...  ::)

Ok, cue the bus driver monorail bashing... 

Thank you, thank very much, it's long overdue.  Ahh, nothing better than a Disney whitewash, but I pride myself on being a Disney team player and am going to be positive for a change. I've even included some photos that the Disney expert propagandist omitted.

The real cool looking Monorail is such a great means of transportation that there are thousands of them in operation world-wide and hundreds being built around the world as we speak. I love the one in NYC and London.

Disney thinks that they have been such a good idea that over the years, they've expanded the system tremendously. In addition to the 3 originals, they've popped up everywhere.

They require 1/4 the number of maintenance people to maintain them as compared to the buses.

You can find experienced mechanics just about anywhere because there is no special knowledge required. 

Because all of the parts are readily available, you can find them anywhere and they're dirt cheap.

They are very cost effective to purchase, and cost a tiny fraction of what the buses cost.

They never break down and are very reliable, especially when it rains.

When the buses break down, they bring in additional monorails to help out. What a godsend.

They transport the overwhelming majority of people at WDW. It's many times the number of people than any other transportation method at WDW.

The resorts that are serviced by the monorail don't charge extra, it's complimentary.

They are very flexible and can go from anywhere to anywhere. They can change routes on a dime.

No one has ever been killed due to a system failure.

If one catches on fire, you can escape very easily without having to climb up on the roof and shimmy down the windshield on a knotted rope held by a CM while possibly being 3 stories high.

The hours of operation are much longer than the buses, so you can ride one at anytime.

Untitled-1-3.jpg

IMG_0560.jpg

Thank you, thank very much, it's long overdue.  Ahh, nothing better than a Disney whitewash, but I pride myself on being a Disney team player and am going to be positive for a change. I've even included some photos that the Disney expert propagandist omitted.

The real cool looking Monorail is such a great means of transportation that there are thousands of them in operation world-wide and hundreds being built around the world as we speak. I love the one in NYC and London.

Disney thinks that they have been such a good idea that over the years, they've expanded the system tremendously. In addition to the 3 originals, they've popped up everywhere.

They require 1/4 the number of maintenance people to maintain them as compared to the buses.

You can find experienced mechanics just about anywhere because there is no special knowledge required. 

Because all of the parts are readily available, you can find them anywhere and they're dirt cheap.

They are very cost effective to purchase, and cost a tiny fraction of what the buses cost.

They never break down and are very reliable, especially when it rains.

When the buses break down, they bring in additional monorails to help out. What a godsend.

They transport the overwhelming majority of people at WDW. It's many times the number of people than any other transportation method at WDW.

The resorts that are serviced by the monorail don't charge extra, it's complimentary.

They are very flexible and can go from anywhere to anywhere. They can change routes on a dime.

No one has ever been killed due to a system failure.

If one catches on fire, you can escape very easily without having to climb up on the roof and shimmy down the windshield on a knotted rope held by a CM while possibly being 3 stories high.

The hours of operation are much longer than the buses, so you can ride one at anytime.

Untitled-1-3.jpg

IMG_0560.jpg

Wow.

Tell us how you feel, Lou.

Do you post under the pseudonym Darren on the Disney Parks Blog?

Darren posted the fourth comment, which says:

Darren on April 16th, 2014 at 12:06 pm

Ever since I was a little kid I wanted to be a Monorail Pilot!

LOL!

TCD

Wow.

Tell us how you feel, Lou.

Do you post under the pseudonym Darren on the Disney Parks Blog?

Darren posted the fourth comment, which says:

Darren on April 16th, 2014 at 12:06 pm

Ever since I was a little kid I wanted to be a Monorail Pilot!

See, I can't win.

Everything I wrote was positive, and yet TCD is insinuating that I don't love the monorails.

BTW, yes, I did post that. I had to use my middle name, Darren.

Ole Darren is too late. Soon there will not be any monorail lever pushers. They will be automated.

See, I can't win.

Everything I wrote was positive, and yet TCD is insinuating that I don't love the monorails.

BTW, yes, I did post that. I had to use my middle name, Darren.

Ole Darren is too late. Soon there will not be any monorail lever pushers. They will be automated.

I'm so sorry that your childhood dream will never be fulfilled.

Darn that Disney.

TCD

• 4 weeks later...

A Monorail History article was posted to the Disney Parks Blog today. This one is on Disneyland, but still cool...

4_08_DL_02201-613x490.jpg

Today we end our look at the history of Disney Parks monorails with the current model of the Disneyland Monorail, the Mark VII. As you can see from the image above, Walt Disney Imagineering designed the Mark VII to have several similarities to the Mark III version – especially the nose cones that were seen on those classic trains.

In addition to the nose cone, another change with this model was a new seat configuration that allowed guests to sit facing the windows, to better enjoy the elevated view of the Disneyland Resort from the comfort of their seats.

Monorail red debuted at the Disneyland Resort on July 3, 2008, as the first Mark VII train. Monorail blue then began transporting guests later that summer and the last train, monorail orange, went into operation in April 2009.

mon116785SMALL.jpg

In 2012, the Mark VII has shared the beam way with Manny, Mandy & Mona Monorails to celebrate of the grand opening of Cars Land at Disney California Adventure park. These new friends took up temporary residence above Disneyland Resort for the remainder of the year to welcome Lightning McQueen, Mater and the rest of their friends from Radiator Springs.

We hope you’ve enjoyed this look back at monorails through the years – and be sure to check back next month as we celebrate the 55th anniversary of the Disneyland Monorail.

Read more about the history of the Disneyland and Walt Disney World Monorails in the posts below:

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2014/05/the-history-of-the-disneyland-monorail-mark-vii-2008-present/

A Monorail History article was posted to the Disney Parks Blog today. This one is on Disneyland, but still cool...

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2014/05/the-history-of-the-disneyland-monorail-mark-vii-2008-present/

Hmmmmm, those dates seem a little dubious to me about the new monorails. I was AT Disneyland  August 24-29, 2008. Monorail Red WAS on the track, running the circuit several times each day, but was NOT transporting guests AT ALL. Of course they could have been transporting guests before my trip, and discontinued again for some reason.