According to "The HUB", the Veteran is selected at random from Veterans at MK within a few hours after MK opens.

If you're the first one to show up at City Hall to ask about volunteering, you improve your chances of being randomly selected from all of the other Veterans that show up after you, but it's no guarantee.

I volunteered at City Hall.  Joyce and I took her Father to City Hall in February right after Rope Drop and volunteered him.  The CM was very specific in asking him if he really wanted to do it or if he was doing it because we were pushing him to do so.  It was moving to participate and even more moving to have complete strangers come up afterwards and thank me for my service. 

I volunteered at City Hall.  Joyce and I took her Father to City Hall in February right after Rope Drop and volunteered him.  The CM was very specific in asking him if he really wanted to do it or if he was doing it because we were pushing him to do so. 

And was he selected?