John, don't forget to insure the camper itself, a lot of times your auto insurance will not cover it unless a camper is actually hooked to the tow vehicle or in your case in the bed of the truck. Like if a tree limb fell onto it at a campground the truck insurance might not cover it. Now if you want something like AAA they offer one called RV Plus ( I think) or check out Good Sams or Coachnet

For emergency road service we use Good Sam... Have been pleased with their service so far. If my memory serves me correctly, I have had to use their services at least 3 times and they have come through each time perfectly. I have used them to tow my pickup truck in after it left me on the side of the road. They changed a tire on a 5th wheel trailer on the side of the road on I-95 on South Carolina and changed a inner dual tire in my driveway on my motorhome. Their prices are reasonable and they cover all of the vehicles and all of the family members in my house.

For RV insurance, we use Gilbert RV Insurance. They are a broker located in Orlando. They were recommended to me by a friend of mine who works for a State Farm Agent. She uses Gilbert as well to insure their camper.

When you look for insurance, look for a company who specializes in RV's. We have State Farm for everything except for the camper. SF just couldn't offer the services that Gilbert provided... Companies who specialize in RV's are going to realize things like awnings, large windshields, etc. They will also take into account that campers usually sit parked more than they are on the road and price their coverage accordingly...

Anyway, something to think about...

For emergency road service we use Good Sam... Have been pleased with their service so far.

Ditto and we also had the Good Sam extended warranty insurance.

When the starter failed just as we were getting ready to head out from the storage facility, not only did someone come out to see if they could get us going, once they determined it was the starter, they called Good Sam for approval to replace it, picked up a starter, and replaced it right there. Great experience.

Normally stuff like that isn't covered or done with just roadside insurance.

• 2 weeks later...

I have State Farm and for a very small fee they will put a road service rider on your policy.  I think I pay less than $15 every six mo.  Check with your agent as most companies offer something similar.

Denny,  You have to be really careful with the road services offered by the "typical" insurance companies...  Most of these companies will not offer services or towing for large vehicles such as RV's, especially motorhomes or large 5th wheels... They will more than likely cover the tow vehicle, but in a lot of cases will leave you on your own to take care of a trailer. Or, they would show up to the job with a 1 ton wrecker to tow a 40' MH...

One would really need to read the "fine print" for specific coverage limitations.  The time to find out that your road service is not set up to handle a large tow job is when you are stranded on the side of the highway in 100 degree heat on a Sunday afternoon...