We are discussing phishing scams on a conference call this afternoon. 

The current one is phone calls supposedly from Microsoft or Apple (for example) saying there is an issue with your computer/cellphone and they need your logon and password so they can fix it.  Lots of people getting these calls at home, at work, on cell phones.  

A number of people also talking about their elderly parents getting multiple requests in the mail per week from supposed charities for donations.  Lots of puppies & kitties and hungry children on the envelopes. 

Remember never to give out your logons and passwords to anyone.  Never send money to anyone for supposed repayment later or to a charity you've never heard of before.  

In addition to those CheapTickets is running their mail scam in our area. They are one of those that says you won two airline tickets to get you to call so they can obtain your credit card and personal information then start charging your credit card $12/mo without you authorizing it.

Just within the last few days I received these:

- A United Nation Parcel containing a bank cashier check of $1,780,000 is here for claim,After several attempts to reach you, I deemed it necessary and urgent to contact you via your e-mail address and to notify you finally about your bank cashier check of $1,780,000.

- WESTERN UNION TRANSFERRING PAYMENT HEAD OFFICE

741 RUE DES FRANCISAINS ADIDOGOME

BENIN REPUBLIC / LOME BROADE

P.O Box 9263

- HELLO

The $5,000.00 has be sent in your name today We have concluded to effect your payment through western union money transfer payment of $5,000.00 today daily until the $1.5MILLION USD is completely transferred to you accordingly.Though,Mr Mike Don has sent $5,000.00 in your name today so contact Western union Agent:below with your *Full Name,*Address*Profession*Telephone mobile

I AM MAUREEN HINCKLEY AND MY FOUNDATION IS DONATING $550,000USD TO

YOU.CONTACT US VIA MY EMAIL AT ([email protected] ) FOR FURTHER

DETAILS._

I guess enough people fall for these scams to make it worth the callers' time.