I think Orlando has the distiction of having the most toll roads of any area in FL.

They are everywhere and the suckers err I mean tourists fund them.

They did a report, and one road charges your something like $1.75 to go a little more than a mile.  When questioned the toll authority says that you pay more for shorter distances and it evens out in the longer drives.

Welcome to FL.  We don't have a state income tax, but we will get your $$ some other way...

Based on what I'm reading, I should avoid I-4?

Nope. Just drive with your common sense in action, watch out for impatient locals and lost tourists.

Marty!!

I have to drive I-4 to and from Longwood at least 2 times a week.  Traffic backups are to be expected during 'rush' hours. (You know , rush hour = stop and go slow!)  Morning can be from 7am to 9:30 or so & evening start about 3-4pm.   I usually try to stay in the middle lane and go with traffic.  A lot of the folks who dart back and forth end up just in front of me at my exit.  Lot of wasted effort on their part.  Marty, be careful of cars changing lanes as the driver realizes his exit  is 3 lanes to his/her right and doesn't want to go to the next exit to turn back.  I've had them pull right in front of me and the other drivers just so they could get to the 'almost' missed exit.  There are two left lane exits also watch for those drivers too.

Also mid day I've seen back ups in down town Orlando.   I-4 has lighted signs that are used to warn drivers of accidents ahead, so you can move away from the blocked lane.

Nope. Just drive with your common sense in action, watch out for impatient locals and lost tourists.

Marty!!

I have to drive I-4 to and from Longwood at least 2 times a week.  Traffic backups are to be expected during 'rush' hours. (You know , rush hour = stop and go slow!)  Morning can be from 7am to 9:30 or so & evening start about 3-4pm.   I usually try to stay in the middle lane and go with traffic.  A lot of the folks who dart back and forth end up just in front of me at my exit.  Lot of wasted effort on their part.  Marty, be careful of cars changing lanes as the driver realizes his exit  is 3 lanes to his/her right and doesn't want to go to the next exit to turn back.  I've had them pull right in front of me and the other drivers just so they could get to the 'almost' missed exit.  There are two left lane exits also watch for those drivers too.

Also mid day I've seen back ups in down town Orlando.   I-4 has lighted signs that are used to warn drivers of accidents ahead, so you can move away from the blocked lane.

Thank you for the advice!  I am planning to leave very early to avoid the afternoon rush in Orlando.  I am the type that tends to stay in the right hand lane so i don't have to merge when I find my exit.  :lol:

Thank you for the advice!  I am planning to leave very early to avoid the afternoon rush in Orlando.  I am the type that tends to stay in the right hand lane so i don't have to merge when I find my exit.   :))

However be careful when using that right lane, I find in cities that sometimes that right lane becomes "exit only" without much warning, and you find yourself having to merge left.

However be careful when using that right lane, I find in cities that sometimes that right lane becomes "exit only" without much warning, and you find yourself having to merge left.

Very good advice, Carol. 

Some place north of Longwood I-4 becomes three lanes.  But there are areas where entering traffic has one or two lanes added to merge with traffic already on I-4.  Sometimes those lanes are long and sometimes not.  I like the middle lane because I don't have to worry too much about cars trying to merge.  IMO the area just after the Holy Land/Ikea exit is a mess , 2 lanes entering, one of those lanes ends, the other becomes the entering lane for the turnpike.  You have cars trying to merge onto I-4 and more trying to exit to the turnpike lane.  And of course, there are always the drivers who think they should go as far in any lane that is moving and then you should be 'oh so happy to let them in front of you' NOT!  The middle lane is safer. 

I wait to merge to the right lane until after I pass the exit at RT 535/ Apopka-Vineland/Lake Buena Vista, then move to the right, after the bridge you can move to the new right lane or stay in the  lane you are in, but you will have speeders on your tail if you do.

Are you using maps or a GPS ???

Very good advice, Carol. 

Some place north of Longwood I-4 becomes three lanes.  But there are areas where entering traffic has one or two lanes added to merge with traffic already on I-4.  Sometimes those lanes are long and sometimes not.  I like the middle lane because I don't have to worry too much about cars trying to merge.  IMO the area just after the Holy Land/Ikea exit is a mess , 2 lanes entering, one of those lanes ends, the other becomes the entering lane for the turnpike.  You have cars trying to merge onto I-4 and more trying to exit to the turnpike lane.  And of course, there are always the drivers who think they should go as far in any lane that is moving and then you should be 'oh so happy to let them in front of you' NOT!  The middle lane is safer. 

I wait to merge to the right lane until after I pass the exit at RT 535/ Apopka-Vineland/Lake Buena Vista, then move to the right, after the bridge you can move to the new right lane or stay in the  lane you are in, but you will have speeders on your tail if you do.

Are you using maps or a GPS ???

GPS.  I am going to copy all this down and hand it to my navigator before we leave.