I am driving down from Atlanta on Saturday the 8th of November and spending saturday night at the Hampton close to Downtown Disney. For some reason, couldn't check in to the Fort on the 8th.

So...what is the best time to check in on Sunday the 9th? I am an early riser (5am - it is a curse...), and will not be going to the parks on Sunday. Should I get there early, or take my time and get there later?

Since Sunday is usually a busy "check out" day I personally would wait. You should have a better selection of sites closer to noon.

That is kinda what I thought...but I was a bit concerned that if I waited until noon I would be in a line of folks checking in at the same time. Is Sunday a big check-in day?

You can ccheck in any time after 6. If your site isn't ready, you could spend some time scoping out sites to see what is available. Also, on Sunday there are LOTS of checkouts

So does Disney work like other campsites in that I can kinda pick one out? I do have a preferred site reserved.

We've checked in as early as 6:30am.  Unloaded the golf cart and went to scope out sites.  Went back to the outpost and requested sites.  It has worked out well for us.

Awesome. Can I borrow your cart :)

I will have a bike with me...

They assign sites about 5 days out, subject to change right up until someone actually occupies the site. So if the site you are assigned doesn't meet your needs, you can check out other sites in your category and if it isn't specifically blocked, they'll usually let you switch.