Current Park Opening Procedures

DIT-

Sorry I missed this thread.

I agree with GDF.  No reason to get to MK more than 30-45 minutes before the stated opening time.  But, you do not want to get there much later than that. Lately, the opening show starts 15 minutes before, and you want to be through bag check and the scanners before that.

The other parks currently don't have opening shows. During busy times (and I believe you will be visiting during a busy time),  I would shoot for 30-45 minutes before the stated opening time.  They do tend to open up early at DHS and Epcot, and just let guests be on their way.

My advice for you for MK is to focus on the attractions other than Mine Train and Anna and Elsa at rope drop- use FP+ for those.  Lately,  those attractions get flooded at rope drop, and you will have no waits at other attractions for that first hour or so after the park opens.  Pick one land, and knock out as much as you can there- Tommorrowland, Frontierland or Adventureland are all good choices for this.

For Epcot, you want to head to either Test Track or Soarin'- and use your FP+'s for whichever of those two you don't do at rope drop.  Personally, I would FP+ Soarin', and do TT at rope drop.  That way, there's a good chance you could ride Living with the Land while you're there for Soarin'.   You don't want to be riding that right at rope drop-waste of time.

For DHS- same idea.  Use rope drop to hit a Tier one ride you want to do.  On a good day, you could hit Toy Story, and still get to Rock N Rollercoaster before the line gets too bad.

Animal Kingdom- we always go to EE first.  The Safari is a good choice too.

TCD

Thanks Andrew!  This is pretty consistent with my game plan....which I've used Kelly's boyfriend to help formulate.  :)  The only thing I'm reading here that's different from what my plans were is not to try to ride the Mine Train at RD.  I had planned on heading there, and also hoping to have a FP for it later in the day.  But I understand your point and maybe will go that route instead. 

And regarding the RD vs not RD.....being morning people who would be up anyways, RD works for us.  We get a LOT done in the morning, then bail when it gets really busy in the afternoon and rest at the Fort.  And go back to the park for the evening.  I understand for folks without little ones it might not be desirable, but it works for us. 

Thanks Andrew!  This is pretty consistent with my game plan....which I've used Kelly's boyfriend to help formulate.  :)  The only thing I'm reading here that's different from what my plans were is not to try to ride the Mine Train at RD.  I had planned on heading there, and also hoping to have a FP for it later in the day.  But I understand your point and maybe will go that route instead. 

For your gang, maybe you do want to do Mine Train at rope drop- the only reason I say not to is that you potentially waste the opportunity to ride a bunch of rides with short waits.  I just did a MK rope drop and we didn't rush with the mob back to Mine Train.  We joined the queue right at the official opening time, and it took us about 20 minutes to ride.  That is still a good wait time for that ride.  But, even then, we could have popped over to some of the Fantasyland attractions and rode those with short waits if we wanted to.  Since the Mine Train is brand new, your kids are probably going to want to ride it as much as they can.  For you, that's not a bad use or rope drop.

Oh....one follow up question.  This coming Monday is my FP+ date.  Am I to understand that I can begin making FP+ selections at midnight ET on Sunday night?  Which is 11pm Sunday for me in CT.....is that right?

You need someone else to help you with this.  I've never done the 60 day thing yet.  I believe you're right, but I am not an expert on that.

TCD

When your window opens, you can book FP+'s for 60 days plus additional days ( I believe up to 10). The strategy is to book the latest days first, as you will be competing against fewer people for those slots.

TCD

Gotcha.  

My last two park days (of 5), unfortunately, are days 14 and 15 of the trip.  So I guess I have to book the first 3 park days on Sunday night and won't be able to book the other two until later.  I'm not sure when I can book those.  If your trip is longer than 10 days, does anyone know when the days after day 10 are available to book FP+ for?  

I have no clue, as I have never been blessed with atrip that long.

However, if you are trying for FP+ for some really big ticket items (Mine Train and meeting Frozen girls), definitely try to book those first on the furthest day out you can.

Another thought.  Did you check Josh's crowd calendar's?  I found it helpful for determining what park to go to what day.  

Yep....that's what I used to determine my schedule.  And I'm looking at his touring plans too.  It's amazing how much information he has out there, for free with no advertising.  It's no wonder Kelly is in love with him.