Current Park Opening Procedures

I know this topic has been covered in trip reports over the past several months...but I want to make sure I understand the current practice at the parks for rope drop, relative to stated opening times.  (I'm talking to you, TCD, Kelly and others RD pros).

We are early risers and I like to hit the parks at RD to get a lot done in the morning.  My question is this....if a park has a stated opening time of 9:00 (say Epcot or HS), what time would you (a) recommend arriving at the gates, and (B) expect to get through the gates and into the park?

Furthermore, on an EMH morning when regular park opening is 9:00 and there are posted EMH at 8:00, when is actual rope drop?  I'm mainly referring to MK in this case.  What time would you suggest getting to the gates?  Kelly's boyfriend suggests arriving by 6:40 for a day when EMH are from 8-9:00.  Does this sound right?  

Thanks!  I may have more questions over the next several days as I approach our FP+ booking time next Monday morning.  

I thought he suggested 7:20 for an 8:00 EMH. I think that's what I did in July, and I was perfect. 

Here's what I know from a few Easter weeks (which I'm guessing will be similar to Christmas time)... Also, things could have changed, so people can feel free to correct me.

During busy times, DHS often opens 20-40 minutes before scheduled opening time.

Epcot and AK open 10-20 minutes before scheduled time.

MK usually opens at the scheduled time or 5 minutes-ish before....  

One question on this.  Usually the boat to MK does not run to arrive at the park until just before opening.  Also it seems that the bus you need that day is never there, but you see the other park buses 3 or 4 times.  Any suggestions on how to avoid this issue other than driving to the park? 

One question on this.  Usually the boat to MK does not run to arrive at the park until just before opening.  Also it seems that the bus you need that day is never there, but you see the other park buses 3 or 4 times.  Any suggestions on how to avoid this issue other than driving to the park? 

This I know as we've done it before....the resort boat the to Contemporary runs early.  Take that, and walk from the CR to the MK. 

This I know as we've done it before....the resort boat the to Contemporary runs early.  Take that, and walk from the CR to the MK. 

I did this, with a purple crayon drawing in my hand so I didn't get lost.  :lol:

As far as getting the right bus, it can be frustrating.  Driving is the solution, if you don't mind driving.  I was determined to not drive, so I stuck to the buses and lots of prayer. 

A little off topic, but during the decades that I've been going to MK, I believe that I've been at only 2(possibly 3) rope drops, and 3 of the 4 people posting on this thread were with me. Isn't that a little spooky?

Now I feel left out. I think MK will open for 7AM EMH when we're there in April. Want to join us? 

Yep, that's what I did in July. 

Also it seems that the bus you need that day is never there

Unless I missed it, I don't think we've been able to confirm that the Fort has early morning park bus service like all the other non monorail resorts.

If they don't, I guess it's because they have the CR boat and bus service to the WL where you can pick up an early morning bus to MK.

but you see the other park buses 3 or 4 times. 

I can't tell you how many times I've heard this on here and at every WDW bus stop. I bet it was at least twice a day.

The assumption is that all Disney buses at WDW are dispatched from one location and because they have control of all the buses, they should know that they've sent buses to a resort going to all the attractions except yours. They do know, but they just want to tick you off. Just kidding.

The simple answer is that during the morning, there are eight dispatch locations sending buses that are dedicated to their dispatch area only. IE, the dispatchers that aren't handling AK buses don't send AK buses even though there hasn't been one in forever, but there has been a bus to every other park.

They're only sending the buses that are allotted to them and will keep sending them even if they're not needed. But another dispatch area may need buses and because their buses are being used, there are none to send.

Why does this happen? I wondered that for over six years.

I hated seeing two or three buses with the same destination on their marquee because that meant that I was going back empty, and I didn't like driving an empty bus. This would happen just about every morning.

A little off topic, but during the decades that I've been going to MK, I believe that I've been at only 2(possibly 3) rope drops, and 3 of the 4 people posting on this thread were with me. Isn't that a little spooky?

Now I feel left out.

Wait. If you weren't in the 3 of the 4 Lou was talking about and I wasn't either. Then who was?

Not it!

I've done rope drop 4 times. EVAH.

Twice at HS to ride TSM - never again thanks to FP+  :)

Twice for 24 hour MK events - no comment.

8)

I did a rope drop with Mo and it was  :partythree:  :fairydust:  :yourock:

I thought he suggested 7:20 for an 8:00 EMH. I think that's what I did in July, and I was perfect. 

Here's what I know from a few Easter weeks (which I'm guessing will be similar to Christmas time)... Also, things could have changed, so people can feel free to correct me.

During busy times, DHS often opens 20-40 minutes before scheduled opening time.

Epcot and AK open 10-20 minutes before scheduled time.

MK usually opens at the scheduled time or 5 minutes-ish before....  

DIT-

Sorry I missed this thread.

I agree with GDF.  No reason to get to MK more than 30-45 minutes before the stated opening time.  But, you do not want to get there much later than that. Lately, the opening show starts 15 minutes before, and you want to be through bag check and the scanners before that.

The other parks currently don't have opening shows. During busy times (and I believe you will be visiting during a busy time),  I would shoot for 30-45 minutes before the stated opening time.  They do tend to open up early at DHS and Epcot, and just let guests be on their way.

My advice for you for MK is to focus on the attractions other than Mine Train and Anna and Elsa at rope drop- use FP+ for those.  Lately,  those attractions get flooded at rope drop, and you will have no waits at other attractions for that first hour or so after the park opens.  Pick one land, and knock out as much as you can there- Tommorrowland, Frontierland or Adventureland are all good choices for this.

For Epcot, you want to head to either Test Track or Soarin'- and use your FP+'s for whichever of those two you don't do at rope drop.  Personally, I would FP+ Soarin', and do TT at rope drop.  That way, there's a good chance you could ride Living with the Land while you're there for Soarin'.   You don't want to be riding that right at rope drop-waste of time.

For DHS- same idea.  Use rope drop to hit a Tier one ride you want to do.  On a good day, you could hit Toy Story, and still get to Rock N Rollercoaster before the line gets too bad.

Animal Kingdom- we always go to EE first.  The Safari is a good choice too.

TCD