With the amount of issues trying to get reservations, has the Fort ever looked into expanding the amount of sites? It seems like there is a lot of land out around the group camping area where they could add a few extra loops. More sites might cut down on the amount of people getting turned away. Seems like the Fort never has problems staying full.

The Fort did expand a number of times back in the day, but hasn't added a loop since I think the mid-1980's.  They added sites to 600 around 5 years ago, but I think that's it.  I'd be surprised to see them add camping sites at this point.  If cabin occupancy is too low I could envision them ripping some cabins out and making more premium campsites, but even that I doubt.  Of course, what the heck do I know?  

The Fort did expand a number of times back in the day, but hasn't added a loop since I think the mid-1980's.  They added sites to 600 around 5 years ago, but I think that's it.  I'd be surprised to see them add camping sites at this point.  If cabin occupancy is too low I could envision them ripping some cabins out and making more premium campsites, but even that I doubt.  Of course, what the heck do I know?

I didn't realize they added to the 600. I thought the last expansion was when they added the cabin loops way back in the dark ages.

I would be surprised if the overall occupancy rate at the fort is over 50%. While the weekends and holiday weeks sellout. Most of the time Monday-Thursday the place is a ghost town.  I would say there is 0% chance of campground expansion.  

While it may seem that way based on not being able to get a reservation, driving through the Fort almost weekly, I see, and park, in plenty of empty sites throughout a lot of the year.

Guess it must just be us weekenders that think the Fort is always full. Guess when I retire it'll be easier to get a site.... Except my wife watches one of our granddaughters after school during the week so... It'll still be hard.