It's great to see this category on this forum.  As most of you probably know we have three special needs kids, now all teens.  :)  Our aim in life is to give them the best life they can appreciate and enjoy.  They will probably all be full care all of their lives, but we try to expose them to those things they can appreciate.  Kenya enjoys personal attention and is somewhat coming out of her shell to look at the world around her.  Kimberly enjoys everything and laughs at anythiing.  Shawnee is the most advanced and loves to ride and to eat.  He has most eating places spotted at WDW and knows what to order at each.  We have learned to pace the children and ourselves to be able to enjoy whatever we do.  We spend a lot of time at the Fort and short times in the parks.  The GC is invaluable (as is the MH).  We could not travel much without either one.  We now have a van equipped for three wheelchairs, so that gives us another short trip alternative.

We are looking to foster an infant again soon, but if that doesn't work out, we will be content with the family we now have.  We will visit the Fort and Dollywood and maybe find a couple of other places to visit with three wheelchairs.  The saga continues.

Ken, one of these days I have to meet you and Judy. The Fiends ate the Fort lit the boards up after meeting the two of you, bummed me out that I missed out on it. As a nurse whose job is to make people's lives as normal as possible after an injury, I am in awe that you can do what you do. And, from what I hear, you do it well.

It's great to see this category on this forum.  As most of you probably know we have three special needs kids, now all teens.  :)  Our aim in life is to give them the best life they can appreciate and enjoy.  They will probably all be full care all of their lives, but we try to expose them to those things they can appreciate.  Kenya enjoys personal attention and is somewhat coming out of her shell to look at the world around her.  Kimberly enjoys everything and laughs at anythiing.  Shawnee is the most advanced and loves to ride and to eat.  He has most eating places spotted at WDW and knows what to order at each.  We have learned to pace the children and ourselves to be able to enjoy whatever we do.  We spend a lot of time at the Fort and short times in the parks.  The GC is invaluable (as is the MH).  We could not travel much without either one.  We now have a van equipped for three wheelchairs, so that gives us another short trip alternative.

We are looking to foster an infant again soon, but if that doesn't work out, we will be content with the family we now have.  We will visit the Fort and Dollywood and maybe find a couple of other places to visit with three wheelchairs.  The saga continues.

You really are an inspiration to us all - I hope we get to meet your family this Christmas!

Wow, so glad to see this catagory!!!!  I too have special needs kids.  Well they arent kids anymore - all adults.  My two oldest have mental illness and my 18 year old daughter is just a teenager(nuff said)  :)  I also work in the mental health field and a family advocate.  Glad to see you all here!

No, a big thanks to you.

When I first joined the DisBoards, the first Fiend I contacted was Judy. The picture of her, Ken, and the 4 angels at that time, just said, you need to get to know these people. I did, and can't say how proud I am that I did. I'm in contact with Judy on a fairly regular basis and words can't describe. And of course Ken is right there with her. In a million years I couldn't take on what they have. I can't get my head around what it takes to to do what they're doing day in and day out.

So it's a big thank you to the Hammetts. I'm glad you joined us. 

There isn't any better way to travel with disabled children than an RV.  To this day, my daughter's happiest memories center around the time she spent camping with her brother and my wife and I.  In fact, she is hoping to be able to go with us sometime this summer.  I truly believe that the peacefullness and quiet of the woods has been very therapeutic for her.

I'm sure it has been therapeutic FWG.  Two things camping has allowed our son....  peacefulness when needed and the ability to run completely wild when needed.  Truly the best of both worlds.  :-)

Dave, the disabilities may vary, but I think we're all gonna learn from one another. 

I found some good friends in the disAbilities thread elsewhere, but this already has a different feel to it.  Maybe b/c there are fiends here.  :-)  Just reading the posts already made in this forum have nearly brought tears to my eyes. 

when we went to disney  in 2008 for Halloween, we stayed at the fort, and Keylime had given out something for halloween that year I can't remember what it was but Brittany was so excited, she still askes about her, is she going to be there.  All of the kids know that Britt's a little strange to to them and we've talked about that to her, but the kids are good to her as well. Gus, is really good to her and so is Maryanne, Judy and Tinah, Lorna, she likes to argue with Jen about science, that's a hoot! Britt can hold her own with an adult and she loves kids, but with her age group she only gets alone with certain ones.

Kim you asked about the sensory problems I only know a little, and it's what Britt feels, she doesn't Liked to be touched, She has a feeling of confinement, and she doesn't feel internal pain like most do, and if she falls down she doesn't react the same way.  When she was little we use to hold her alot and loved on her but as she got older she didn't want us hugging her, unless she initiated, that's so she knew what to expect, however now if she knows it's coming it's fine to hug her. She has gotten alot better over he years, one night she was in the recliner, and I sat down in her lad, and she jump up and I was in the floor, I turned around and said what did you do that far, you just threw me in the floor, it was that I had never done it before, and she didn't know how to react to it. since then I can play with her like that now and she still freaks but not to that extent. She will call me wierd if I do something that she's not expecting.. She hears the flickers in the lights, that we can't hear, and she can even hear  people erase things with  a pencil. but her has to have music up louder to be able to hear it, she has to be taught things in a different way for her to understand it. Anyways hope That helps.

Thanks for the lesson in sensory processing Kelly.  That really sounds a lot like the issues that classically autistic kids deal with.  Fortunately our son, even though his diagnosis is severe autism, is very affectionate.  He loves to hug, kiss, climb all over us.  Sounds don't appear to bother him either. He absolutely LOVES the fireworks.  We are very grateful that his sensory issues aren't bad in that respect. His issues cause him to seek deep pressure stimulation.  A lot of crashing into things (on purpose) and hard jumping onto hard surfaces.  He needs tight squeezes as well.  I don't know if anyone else's child likes to be brushed...but he LOVES that.  His private OT rolls weighted balls all over him which he LOVES as well. It has a calming effect on him.  Gotta get some of those! Sometimes he does feel the need to "cocoon".  We're supposed to be getting an adaptive stroller (when the insur co. corrects their glitch) to help with that when we're out.  He's just too big for a regular one now.  He also has texture issues.  His gag relfex is pretty strong so certain food textures will cause him to .. well...  you know what.  8)  At WDW  he seems to do well if we can keep him moving.  He doesn't do well in tight, slow moving lines.  He'll completely flip out at the worst possible moment when there's nothing you can do but silently beg God to make it stop.  :parrot:  Yet in all this..  he's such a little blessing.  Typical or just a little different our kids teach us so much don't they?

when we went to disney  in 2008 for Halloween, we stayed at the fort, and Keylime had given out something for halloween that year I can't remember what it was but Brittany was so excited, she still askes about her, is she going to be there.  All of the kids know that Britt's a little strange to to them and we've talked about that to her, but the kids are good to her as well. Gus, is really good to her and so is Maryanne, Judy and Tinah, Lorna, she likes to argue with Jen about science, that's a hoot! Britt can hold her own with an adult and she loves kids, but with her age group she only gets alone with certain ones.

Kim you asked about the sensory problems I only know a little, and it's what Britt feels, she doesn't Liked to be touched, She has a feeling of confinement, and she doesn't feel internal pain like most do, and if she falls down she doesn't react the same way.  When she was little we use to hold her alot and loved on her but as she got older she didn't want us hugging her, unless she initiated, that's so she knew what to expect, however now if she knows it's coming it's fine to hug her. She has gotten alot better over he years, one night she was in the recliner, and I sat down in her lad, and she jump up and I was in the floor, I turned around and said what did you do that far, you just threw me in the floor, it was that I had never done it before, and she didn't know how to react to it. since then I can play with her like that now and she still freaks but not to that extent. She will call me wierd if I do something that she's not expecting.. She hears the flickers in the lights, that we can't hear, and she can even hear  people erase things with  a pencil. but her has to have music up louder to be able to hear it, she has to be taught things in a different way for her to understand it. Anyways hope That helps.

I gave all the kids lanyards and pins to trade. I thought it would help the kids to open up to each other. Gabriella elected to stay in the camper

It's great to see this category on this forum.  As most of you probably know we have three special needs kids, now all teens.  >:D  Our aim in life is to give them the best life they can appreciate and enjoy.  They will probably all be full care all of their lives, but we try to expose them to those things they can appreciate.  Kenya enjoys personal attention and is somewhat coming out of her shell to look at the world around her.  Kimberly enjoys everything and laughs at anythiing.  Shawnee is the most advanced and loves to ride and to eat.  He has most eating places spotted at WDW and knows what to order at each.  We have learned to pace the children and ourselves to be able to enjoy whatever we do.  We spend a lot of time at the Fort and short times in the parks.  The GC is invaluable (as is the MH).  We could not travel much without either one.  We now have a van equipped for three wheelchairs, so that gives us another short trip alternative.

Wow you are some amazing folks....I have one dd that has Spina Bifida and is in a wheelchair and sometimes I feel it sucks the life out of me. I can't imagine how much work taking care of three would be, God Bless you, Love suffers long and hard for people we love! If you do go to Dollywood please let us know how wheelchair friendly it is, we have been talking about going there.Hugs to you!

It's great to see this category on this forum.  As most of you probably know we have three special needs kids, now all teens.  :partythree:  Our aim in life is to give them the best life they can appreciate and enjoy.  They will probably all be full care all of their lives, but we try to expose them to those things they can appreciate.  Kenya enjoys personal attention and is somewhat coming out of her shell to look at the world around her.  Kimberly enjoys everything and laughs at anythiing.  Shawnee is the most advanced and loves to ride and to eat.  He has most eating places spotted at WDW and knows what to order at each.  We have learned to pace the children and ourselves to be able to enjoy whatever we do.  We spend a lot of time at the Fort and short times in the parks.  The GC is invaluable (as is the MH).  We could not travel much without either one.  We now have a van equipped for three wheelchairs, so that gives us another short trip alternative.

We are planning a Dollywood trip in September.

We've taken our family to Dollywood many times and usually have annual passes.  it is only partially wheelchair friendly.  It is MUCH hillier than is WDW, so "friendly" depends on your strength on hills.  To be fair, there are level or near level areas, but from area to area, there are usually hills.  Since our kids don't ride the rides, I can't speak to accessibility for rides.  But we all enjoy the place, the shows, food, exhibits, outdoor concerts.  Our grandkids enjoy most of the rides, including the kiddie area.  It usually seems to be cooler there in the mountains, and the usual summer rains.  There is much to do outside of Dollywood in the Sieverville to Cherokee corridor and over toward Maggie Valley....lots of touristy stuff...shows, go carts, helicotper rides, the Park, the Indian exhibits and performance, Santa Land, Ghost Town...I could go on and on.  Try it, you'll like it.