Thanks for sharing this, Ray!

Considering Disney isn't really looking to make a profit off them, I think the fees are possibly just to discourage people that aren't really serious or have nefarious intentions (same reason you should never list a pet for free on things like Craig's List).  Pricing structure may be geared towards qualifying people with the means to care for the animals - i.e., a Draft Horse is more expensive to take care of than a pony in terms of space, food, etc.

The process seems pretty thorough, and I like that the fee is low for animals with health issues.  That tends to encourage people to adopt them, knowing they're likely to have more expenses for them later on.

The border collie rescue group I volunteer with sometimes discounts or waives the fees for elderly/sick dogs, depending on the circumstances.  People still have to go through the same approval process, part of which is making sure people are willing and able to provide for future medical care, but it does help find homes for those dogs.

Mercy.... if only y 'all knew, just how much this tugs at my heart.  Having always wanted horses for myself and my children, and the idea of the horses coming from Disney.... man.  I'm going to hold onto this information for a couple of years.  If God opens the door, we will definitely submit an application to adopt one or two.