I admit I never thought about what happens to Disney horses when they're retired, but I'm happy to hear this!

Did you know The Walt Disney Company maintains 200 horses worldwide at the Disneyland Resort in California, Walt Disney World Resort in Florida and the Disneyland Resort in Paris? These horses provide opportunities for guests to ride in horse-drawn street cars, arrive at their wedding in Cinderella’s Carriage, delight in a child’s first pony ride, watch the Wild West come to life or enjoy a quiet wagon, carriage or trail ride.

Ranch-Horses-1.jpg

On average, our horses live with us at Disney for about 7-10 years. Their time as a member of the Disney team is based on many factors including their age when they arrive, their ability to acclimate to their surroundings and their overall health. Just like other animals at the Disney Parks, horses receive top-notch care while they are a member of our family, but did you ever wonder what life for a horse is like after Disney?

It gives me great pride to share that life after Disney is just as green on the other side of the fence. For decades, the Disney Equine Adoption Program has paired our retired horses with new adoptive families. This program has proven that our horses and ponies have plenty of magic to share even after their Disney career.

In order to identify the best potential adoptive families, the Disney Equine Adoption Program has various guidelines and policies in place. These guidelines help ensure we find people who are committed to a lifetime of care and enjoyment with our animals.

Ranch-Horses-2-613x397.jpg

For more information and to receive a brochure or application for the Disney Equine Adoption Program, please e-mail [email protected].

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2015/01/wildlife-wednesday-adopt-a-retired-horse-through-the-disney-equine-adoption-program/

Oh... that is wonderful.  I grew up riding and have always dreamed of having my own horse; like Ray's daughter...ours keeps asking, but I'd like to wait until she's a little older and I know that we won't be making a big move.   How wonderful to able to adopt one of these beautiful animals.  Nothing more magical than that :)

I'm interested to hear what you find out ray. I would assume they are very careful about who they end up with and I would be willing to bet they wouldn't let someone with no horse ownership to adopt. I can imagine there are a lot of people who would just want them because of their origin but not be suited to care for a horse. Kind of like the Dalmatian puppy crazy after the movie.

Very cool.

Back in the day, the TCD girls had favorite ponies that they liked to ride at the Fort.

A few years ago, we were on a Haunted Carriage ride, and struck up a conversation with our driver, who has worked with the horses forever.

It turns out that she adopted and still owned some of the old pony ride ponies.  That was neat to know.

TCD

I'm interested to hear what you find out ray. I would assume they are very careful about who they end up with and I would be willing to bet they wouldn't let someone with no horse ownership to adopt. I can imagine there are a lot of people who would just want them because of their origin but not be suited to care for a horse. Kind of like the Dalmatian puppy crazy after the movie.

Your right. I bet Disney would check us out before they would let us adopt.

I just requested info. But if they just google map searched our address they would see our horse stables, and tack room/shop. And the 5 acres it sits on.

I wasn't sure if they would check us out before even sending us the basic info but just in case they did I also gave them the info about our farm. Were we have 200 acres complete with stalls, barns, corrals. And up until 6 or 7 years ago we had 3 horses. Bartender, Cocoa, and Midnight at our house.

I bet the fees are hefty.

I would think/hope so.  If for no other reason that to weed out the people right off the start that just think it would be "cool" to have one, without any clue how much work and money goes into keeping a horse. Beyond that, I'd also bet that they vet people really carefully. Not just because they care for the horses and what happens to them, but also because it would be a pretty big PR mess if it hit the news that a former Disney horse landed in a really crappy situation.

Just out of curiosity and the desire to get a hold of one of Cindy's ponies I sent them a request for info. I'll let you what happens.

I'll be interested to hear what they say.

A few years ago, we were on a Haunted Carriage ride, and struck up a conversation with our driver, who has worked with the horses forever.

It turns out that she adopted and still owned some of the old pony ride ponies.  That was neat to know.

TCD

Love that!

Hello!

Thank you for the e-mail and your interest in learning more about the Equine Adoption Program. I have attached the requested brochure and application.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Thank you,

TRI-CIRCLE-D RANCH

Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S.

Ranch Manager on Duty: 407-824-2703

Fax: 407-824-1050

Ok. Looked at the App and brochure.

Fairly basic. Says must have land, or boarding stables. knowledge of how to care of horse. Pictures of property. Access to vet.

You can not obtain horse just to sell for profit.

Must have companion animal, another horse pony donkey or even goat. (You don't want to have just one horse).

Adoption fees are quite reasonable.

Pony. $100-$300-$500

$100 for lite use. Ride once a week

$300 med use ride a few times a week

$509 heavy use ridden everyday.

Horses about the same

Draft horse are $100, $1,000, and $2000

If you want to see the app and brochure, pm me and I'll send it to you.

Ok. Looked at the App and brochure.

Fairly basic. Says must have land, or boarding stables. knowledge of how to care of horse. Pictures of property. Access to vet.

You can not obtain horse just to sell for profit.

Must have companion animal, another horse pony donkey or even goat. (You don't want to have just one horse).

Adoption fees are quite reasonable.

Pony. $100-$300-$500

$100 for lite use. Ride once a week

$300 med use ride a few times a week

$509 heavy use ridden everyday.

Horses about the same

Draft horse are $100, $1,000, and $2000

If you want to see the app and brochure, pm me and I'll send it to you.

I don't understand the price differences- are they referring to how often the new owner is going to ride the pony or horse?  Why does that have anything to do with the fee?

TCD

I need to make a correction.

Any pony, horse, or draft horse with medical condition the fee is $100

Here's their definitions

Light duty (weekend trail riding or driving a walking/trotting pace for one or two hours)

Moderate duty (trail riding/driving/showing at walk/trot/canter three/four days a week)

Regular duty (riding/driving/showing/jumping at all gaits)

Light to moderate use

pony $300

Horse $400

Draft $1000-$1500

Regular duty

Pony $500

Horse $900

Draft $2000

Depending on the age of the animal

It's actually not a bad price. $300 for kid friend sky pony is pretty good.

And $400 for a kid friendly horse is reall good. I think I read the horses stay at Disney 7-10 years and a horse can live for more than 25 years.