For Me This Was Interesting. Last Time We Were At The Parks It Was Much Like Disneyland Today. Hardley Anyone Used The FP. I Can't Get Over How Much Has Changed. I Am Hoping Our Visit Will Still Be Enjoyable As We Are Not Used To Waiting In Lines For Anything. We Have Never Used FP.

For Me This Was Interesting. Last Time We Were At The Parks It Was Much Like Disneyland Today. Hardley Anyone Used The FP. I Can't Get Over How Much Has Changed. I Am Hoping Our Visit Will Still Be Enjoyable As We Are Not Used To Waiting In Lines For Anything. We Have Never Used FP.

That's a pretty good article- and I agree with the premise of it- if you're a newbie to FP+ and you don't plan ahead, you're not going to like the new system at all.

I don't like to have to plan ahead, but if you don't, you will be waiting in lines for everything, and some things you may just not even be able to do.

TCD

For us it worked... ok.

We were never big FP people but we also tend to go during slower times and are there for a long enough stretch, and are pretty flexible so that if we don't get to do something one day, we come back another. 

I booked a few biggies ahead of time (Mine Train and TSM) and we booked others as we went along once we got there, when we thought we needed them.  Up side - we never "needed" to do rope drop to ride anything, like we have with TSM in the past. 

Downside?  If you didn't snag a Mine Train FP in advance, you weren't getting one once you were there, and you were waiting in a 60-90+ minute line unless you did the rope drop scramble. We rode it once with a FP+ and that was it in all of 3 weeks.

If your time is limited or your schedule is more rigid, and want to be able to do a lot or "the biggies" you don't really have much of a choice now other than to plan and use FP+.

We're in the same mode as Mo..... I actually did pick 3 FP+ for the days we were in a park for a meal or other reason. We were there for 2 1/2 weeks, and never left the campground before noon.

It allowed us to do some things that we would never do normally such as Peter Pan, character greetings, and it also allowed us to ride Mine Train, and TSM without doing the rope drop thing.

Downside?  If you didn't snag a Mine Train FP in advance, you weren't getting one once you were there, and you were waiting in a 60-90+ minute line unless you did the rope drop scramble. We rode it once with a FP+ and that was it in all of 3 weeks.

Mine Train FP+'s have been easier to come by lately.

Just for fun, I looked just now, and I could get a Mine Train FP+ for Saturday.  I'll bet if I played with the system a bit, I could get one for tomorrow too.  We took a day trip over to the MK a couple of weeks ago, and I was able to get four overlapping Mine Train FP+'s the night before that visit.

I've heard that they are distributing more Mine Train FP+'s than they have in the past.  That means it may be possible to snag one close to your trip, but it also means longer standby waits.

TCD

will We Still Need To Get Everyone A FP If We Do The Kid Swap?

It depends on how many people you have in your party who want to ride.  According to the official Disney site, a rider switch pass is only good for two people:  https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/rider-switch/

However, what happens at the parks may be different.  I've seen rider switch passes that are good for four guests.  The official website conflicts with that.

TCD