Waking up to the sounds of nature and buses and train horns and Richard Pettys driving experience (that sounds snarky, but really, I do like that odd combination of sounds in the morning)

Morning walk to the lodge for breakfast

Watching the kids play at the beach park from the rocking chairs

That first visit to the trading post. And then the other trading post.

Boat to the magic kingdom

Boat to contemporary and lodge

Happy hour on crockets porch

Walking. And then walking some more.

Coffee and cinnamon roll from trails end

Watching Bell light up when she finds her best pony Carrot Top at the TCD ranch

What a great idea for a thread!

A lot of my favorite things have already been mentioned.

Some more:

- the feeling of contentment that comes with sitting in the check-in lanes, knowing that you have arrived, and that in just a few minutes you will be checking in and heading to your site to begin another adventure at the Fort.

- hearing the special Fort Wilderness music playing at the Trading Posts, and especially along the path to the marina.  I especially love the Christmas sound track that starts playing around Thanksgiving and plays through New Year's.

- chilling in my hammock at my site, just staring up at the leaves and blue sky, or the moon and stars.

- standing on the shore of Bay Lake out by the old cabin and looking across to the Magic Kingdom, and the wilderness surrounding the shoreline.  Marveling at how there can be such a quiet and beautiful place in the middle of the busiest vacation spot in the world.

- looping around the Fort early in the morning, and watching things come to life.

- heading back to my campsite late at night, and seeing deer grazing peacefully in places that will be full of people and traffic the next day.

-watching armadillos root around the campsites late at night.

- the smells that waft around the loops around meal time- bacon cooking in the mornings, charcoal grills going in the evenings.

- sitting on the porch at Crockett's Tavern as guests show up and wait for the Hoop Dee Doo Revue.  There is commotion bordering on chaos for a short time, which is then followed by peace and quiet as soon as they are all ushered in to Pioneer Hall.

-sitting at the picnic table at my site, surrounded by my family, enjoying a meal in the great outdoors.  Far away from all of the cares of the world.

- the footbridges.  All of them- the one that leads from the 600 loop to the campfire area; the one that leads from the 1500 loop to the Meadow pool; and the one that leads from the 900 loop to the group camping area.  There's just something peaceful about walking across any one of them, and enjoying the view of the canals below.

-the dog park.  Whether I have my dog there or not, it brings me joy to watch dogs running and playing in that big field.

TCD

- standing on the shore of Bay Lake out by the old cabin and looking across to the Magic Kingdom, and the wilderness surrounding the shoreline.  Marveling at how there can be such a quiet and beautiful place in the middle of the busiest vacation spot in the world.

Great post, Andrew. To this one I would also add the area around the bridge that connects the 900 loop to the group camping area. There's a log bench there now along that dog path. Sit on that bench and marvel along the same lines -- you're sitting in the original heart of Disney World, a place visited by what? A hundred million people per year? And yet you'd never know it.

And so few people, such a tiny, tiny fraction of those visitors know about that bridge and that bench.

Great post, Andrew. To this one I would also add the area around the bridge that connects the 900 loop to the group camping area. There's a log bench there now along that dog path. Sit on that bench and marvel along the same lines -- you're sitting in the original heart of Disney World, a place visited by what? A hundred million people per year? And yet you'd never know it.

And so few people, such a tiny, tiny fraction of those visitors know about that bridge and that bench.

That's a good one.

I know that bench.  I can't say I've ever used it.  But, that would be a very nice place to set a spell.

TCD

Fishing, particularly around the spillway, usually very peaceful.

Fishing!  That's a good one.

I used to do that with my girls when the were younger.  It's amazing how much young kids love fishing-even in this high tech world of ours.

Another thing we used to really enjoy when my girls were younger were the crafts and games they do at the pool every day.  And Bingo.  We used to like that too.

TCD

Since my visits are few...exploring all the fort has to offer.

Speaking of exploring- I like to explore too.

It's fun to follow the path that the Fort Wilderness Railroad used to take.

For the more adventurous, a walk down the trail ride path early in the morning, way before the trail rides start, is fun.  There are old props along the trail, including the last totem poles located in Fort Wilderness.  I also saw a bald eagle back there once.

TCD