I drive for UPS and they have a station set up in the yard to stop to aduyst your mirrors, they have squares painted on the ground that you should be able to see in your mirrors. I agree with the use of mirrors,the training we recieve is unbelievable when new drivers traansfer to the tractor trailers we tell them to just listen and try to remember everything you never know when it will come in handy, it does work.

I do love how when you pull into a campground you become the entertainment as everyone watches you back in, I know I have disappoitnted alot of folks when I don' t have a problem, I have even had folks tell me they could not get in the site I just backed into ::) :rofl2: :rofl2:

Actually - what was taught was mostly what I already knew - especially how to make proper turns.

Do you recall how they taught you to make a right turn?

The most common mistake I see when someone makes a right hand turn is that they start turning to soon. You should pull out in a straight line for a certain distance before turning the wheel. How much depends on the configuration of the corner.

What Barney taught about how to back a rig made perfect sense.

We don't have to worry about backing up because unless it's just a few feet, we are not allowed to back up unless we have a spotter. And that's enforced.

His advice on how to use your mirrors and how to adjust them was spot-on!! Mirrors are your friends!!

It's not advice, it's mandatory if you want to get a bus CDL. You're expected to look at both your mirrors every 12 to 15 seconds. Sounds like a lot doesn't it? They're very strict about it. Every year during the dreaded WDW bus driver audit, the auditors look for it and penalize you if you don't do it.

This is how we adjust the mirrors. The magnifying mirror should be set so that we can see the rear wheel up to the front door. And the regular mirror should be set so that we can see the rear corner of the bus and pick up where the magnifying mirror leaves of vertically. After a while you can do it in a minute or so.

He also said NOT to rely on your rear camera when backing - as it can be deceptive.

Back up cameras are almost useless except to see that there is something there.

I drive for UPS and they have a station set up in the yard to stop to aduyst your mirrors, they have squares painted on the ground that you should be able to see in your mirrors.

Because we take over a bus at a bus stop, we don't have that luxury. We do it by feel and experience. Because we take a bus over 2 or 3 times a day it becomes second nature.

It's not advice, it's mandatory if you want to get a bus CDL. You're expected to look at both your mirrors every 12 to 15 seconds. Sounds like a lot doesn't it? They're very strict about it. Every year during the dreaded WDW bus driver audit, the auditors look for it and penalize you if you don't do it.

This is how we adjust the mirrors. The magnifying mirror should be set so that we can see the rear wheel up to the front door. And the regular mirror should be set so that we can see the rear corner of the bus and pick up where the magnifying mirror leaves of vertically. After a while you can do it in a minute or so.

Thumbsup.gif

Actually - what was taught was mostly what I already knew - especially how to make proper turns.

Do you recall how they taught you to make a right turn?

The most common mistake I see when someone makes a right hand turn is that they start turning to soon. You should pull out in a straight line for a certain distance before turning the wheel. How much depends on the configuration of the corner.

You pull straight out, check your mirrors to assure you have enough clearance in the back and then make your turn.  We live on an intersection in our development and the storm sewer culvert has been decimated several times because the RV drivers do not know how to properly turn.  :))

What Barney taught about how to back a rig made perfect sense.

We don't have to worry about backing up because unless it's just a few feet, we are not allowed to back up unless we have a spotter. And that's enforced.

What Barney taught made perfect sense - whether you have a spotter or not.  Now this applies to MH's - don't know if it's the same principle for TT's or 5'ers. I'll use an example if your site at FtW is on the outside of the loop - or to the right of the driver's forward motion. You pull your rig up on the same side of the street as your site, stopping the rig at the site apron of what will be the patio side. You should stop when there is about 8ft between your rear wheel and the edge of the patio side apron.  Cut your wheels as far left as they will go and slowly pull the rig to the opposite side of the street. If you don't have a spotter - GET OUT and make sure the back of the rig is in line with the opening of the site. If you positioned your rig properly before cutting the wheels to the left - you should be good.  Now, slowly back in as you gently turn your wheel to the right to line up properly with the length of the site and ease it on back. Use your bottom mirrors as a guide (you may have to adjust them to see the ground before backing). If the utilities are in the center of the site from front to back, give yourself about 3 feet of clearance on the driver's side so you can push your slides out and open your compartments with no problems.

His advice on how to use your mirrors and how to adjust them was spot-on!! Mirrors are your friends!!

I don't even drive my car without looking in the mirrors about every 30 seconds when I'm on a multiple lane road or especially on the interstate.  The few times I've driven the MH, my eyes are in constant motion because there is no rear view mirror.  I adjust my convex mirrors so I can see anything that might have crept up beside me. /i]

He also said NOT to rely on your rear camera when backing - as it can be deceptive.

Back up cameras are almost useless except to see that there is something there.

True that!!

I drive for UPS and they have a station set up in the yard to stop to aduyst your mirrors, they have squares painted on the ground that you should be able to see in your mirrors.

Fortunately, my DH & I are about the same height and the mirrors do not have to be changed from one driver to the next. However, we check the mirrors before every trip just in case someone might have been anal and moved them.

Because we take over a bus at a bus stop, we don't have that luxury. We do it by feel and experience. Because we take a bus over 2 or 3 times a day it becomes second nature.

Because I'm not as experienced as you are, I would not feel comfortable doing that. I'm totally reliant upon my mirrors and would be scared witless if they were not in proper alignment so I had complete visual range around the unit.  That would also explain why some WDW drivers have almost veered into me when changing lanes. YIKES!!!

Because I'm not as experienced as you are, I would not feel comfortable doing that. I'm totally reliant upon my mirrors and would be scared witless if they were not in proper alignment so I had complete visual range around the unit.  That would also explain why some WDW drivers have almost veered into me when changing lanes. YIKES!!!

You misunderstood me about adjusting the mirrors when we take over a bus. We do adjust them but we don't have a target like the UPS drivers. We do it like you do.

As for WDW drivers almost veering into you, they can see you. They expect you speed up or slow down to let them in. As the signs on the Lynx buses read, "let me in, it's the law".

I remeber the last time we were at WDW we saw a bus coming out of a resort road( I think back by the Tree Houses) that must have cut the corner to close or had a car come into his path but it looked like he ran the rear wheels down into a ditch, he was makind a right turn so I guess he was turning to sharp. I always joke saying I like trailers better then motorhomes(or buses) because they bend in the middle.

Hey Magi Bus have you ever driven one of the buses that bend in the middle and can you back them up at all?

Hey MagicBus have you ever driven one of the buses that bend in the middle and can you back them up at all?

The only buses I've ever driven are the WDW buses.

I'd like to test drive one of the Lynx articulated buses. And I'm guessing they have the same policy. Don't get yourself into a situation where you have to backup.

As for WDW drivers almost veering into you, they can see you. They expect you speed up or slow down to let them in. As the signs on the Lynx buses read, "let me in, it's the law".

That's kind of hard to do when you are directly beside the bus and don't know of their intention to come into your lane!!  I was forced off the road one time by a Disney bus at the location where the new kennel is.  I was in the left lane & the bus was in the right lane. We were right next to each other and the bus slowly came into my lane forcing me off the road.  I was in SHOCK!!  The bus driver went on as if he/she did not know I was next to them!!  No - I did not report it because I was trying to regain my composure and didn't think to look for the number on the bus before they turned into Riverside (then Dixie Landing).  IIRC, I went back to the Fort to change my shorts!!!  :rofl2:

I was forced off the road one time by a Disney bus at the location where the new kennel is. 

Oh that was you. I swear I didn't see you.

The way you described it, they were slowly moving into your lane, it sounds like they wanted you to, as I said before, speed up or slow down in order to get out of their way.

I did not report it because I was trying to regain my composure and didn't think to look for the number on the bus before they turned into Riverside.

If you ever intend to report a driver, not only do you need the bus number, you need the correct time to within 15 minutes because in another 15 minutes, that same bus could have a different driver. So then it could be one of two drivers. Not sure anything would come of it anyways.

I was forced off the road one time by a Disney bus at the location where the new kennel is. 

Oh that was you. I swear I didn't see you.

The way you described it, they were slowly moving into your lane, it sounds like they wanted you to, as I said before, speed up or slow down in order to get out of their way.

I did not report it because I was trying to regain my composure and didn't think to look for the number on the bus before they turned into Riverside.

If you ever intend to report a driver, not only do you need the bus number, you need the correct time to within 15 minutes because in another 15 minutes, that same bus could have a different driver. So then it could be one of two drivers. Not sure anything would come of it anyways.

Well, EXCUSE ME!! I didn't realize that was a rule of the road - to slowly edge over and force another driver into the median.  The bus driver could just have easily slowed down and eased his/her way behind me.  I honestly don't think they saw me and made no indication of wanting to come into the left lane.  I always concede to vehicles larger than mine.  It's just common sense!!

Well, EXCUSE ME!

I'm glad you've seen the error of your ways. Remember when at WDW, the buses rule the roads. Stay clear of them.

Seriously though, I get just as annoyed with other bus drivers as I do with regular drivers. Many drive too slow. Many are too timid. Many don't speak english well enough, but that's a whole other subject. And too many are just bad drivers.

I wish Disney would spend as much time weeding them out as they spend on making us do non-driving crap. You wouldn't believe some of the ridiculous stuff that we have to do that has nothing to do with driving.

We had a Disney bus run over our cover to our generator once on our way home near Pop Century.  The dumb thing had the audacity to fall off.  I have to mention that Chris ran over it with the RV first.  If it wasn't for my father, I would have had at least a 6K reconstruction bill.  If you have seen my RV, you would have never have known the front compartment door (which takes up most of the front) was completely reconstructed.  I am a very lucky girl to have a dad that knows how to work fiberglass and paint. :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

We had a Disney bus run over our cover to our generator once on our way home near Pop Century.  The dumb thing had the audacity to fall off.  I have to mention that Chris ran over it with the RV first.  If it wasn't for my father, I would have had at least a 6K reconstruction bill.  If you have seen my RV, you would have never have known the front compartment door (which takes up most of the front) was completely reconstructed.  I am a very lucky girl to have a dad that knows how to work fiberglass and paint. :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Ah yes fiberglass a smell you never forget >:D

I learned all about the "lovely" smell of fiberglass when Rick rebuilt a '68 Mustang.  Jen - I would never have guessed your compartment door had been rebuilt!!  One of these days Rick & your dad will have to sit down over a beer.  They seem to have a LOT in common!!

I learned all about the "lovely" smell of fiberglass when Rick rebuilt a '68 Mustang.  Jen - I would never have guessed your compartment door had been rebuilt!!  One of these days Rick & your dad will have to sit down over a beer.  They seem to have a LOT in common!!

Sounds like Rick and Mike are two peas in a pod too. We have rebuilt more crap than I can even remember, but it did include a TransVan and a '77 Mustang. All I know is I itched fo a year from the damn fiberglass and if I smell it now I gag. :D

Here is a prime example as to why training is needed to operate larger RV's, I hope the link works.

--------------------http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/School-bus-involved-in--118946324.html------------------------------------------------------------