I camped at Fort Wilderness this past summer and stayed in the 700 loop.  I have a 40 ft 5th wheel and had a hard time getting into my site.  I had to ask the people in the campsite accross from me to move there car so I could swing into my site.  Fortunately they were there and not in the park.  Are there certain loops that are more big rig friendly then others?  I think part of the problem was that my site was in a turn which made it more difficult to get in.  I noticed the 600 loop had easy sites to get in but were not tree covered.  My next trip is during the summer again so i would like shade.

Welcome to the group LI! I can't help you too much as my little TT is only 23 foot long. I'm sure someone else with a big one will come along and answer better. What I can tell you is that the Fort is very good about letting you move if you're not comfortable backing in or don't think you will fit in the site they assigned. Just ride through the loop and find a better one, call the front and ask to move. Done it many times with no problems.

I think you will find easy and hard sites in just about every loop, 600 may be the exception since it is fairly straight road vs a circle/loop.

We were in 400 in Jan and there are some very large, easy to manuver sites in that loop as well.

I have a 40ft fiver pulled by a dodge ram megacab. So I know your pain. But you will find every loop has good and bad big rig friendly sites. I found sticking to the premium sites makes your chances of getting a big rig friendly site better. I will tell you to stay away from the 300 loop. Although some sites are good in that loop, the loop as a whole is not easy to navigate with a large fiver. We almost ended up divorced just from driving around it.

If you find a site hard to get backed into, you can request another one. They have never denied that request. Also, take your time and do not be afraid to ask for help.

Welcome to the site,

I camped at Fort Wilderness this past summer and stayed in the 700 loop.  I have a 40 ft 5th wheel and had a hard time getting into my site.  I had to ask the people in the campsite accross from me to move there car so I could swing into my site.  Fortunately they were there and not in the park.  Are there certain loops that are more big rig friendly then others?  I think part of the problem was that my site was in a turn which made it more difficult to get in.  I noticed the 600 loop had easy sites to get in but were not tree covered.  My next trip is during the summer again so i would like shade.

We stayed in the 600 loop over the 4th of July 2010, but we were in 635 I think.  Lots of trees and the way the loop road runs it was very easy to get into.  This was a very shaded spot and had lots of room.

The 600 loop is actualy divided into two sections. The first part of the loop as you enter it is relativly new. Thus, the lack of trees and shade. The second half (distinquished by passing the bridge leading to the campfire singalong) is older and has been around longer. This is why there is more shade and trees.

I loved the 600 loop when we stayed there. We were in the newer first half, but the view of the lake out our back window was worth it. We were two sites down from the bridge (sorry, cant remember site numbers) and backed up to the lake. Also made setting up the dish easier. No trees to block the signal. I love that Disney has "cable" in the campground, but we all know how worthless that is. Disney propoganda 24/7.

Backing a MH into a site & backing a 5'er or TT into a site are two completely different things.  MH's of any length can get into just about any site if you know how to properly back it.  5'er's & TT require "wiggle room" for the truck and can be difficult to back in to a site even for the most experienced driver.

For premium loops I agree with others regarding the 600 loop.  It's probably the easiest loop for a 5'er to back into most sites.  Other premium loops for easier navigation and backing are 400, 700, 900, 1000 & 1200. The 500, 800, 1100 & 1300 loops have tight turns and sites that are really difficult for the most experienced driver to back into.

Do not even attempt 100, 200, or 300.  As Devores said, 300 especially, is just a challenge to drive thru, let alone try to back a rig into.  100 & 200 are tight loops as well.

Full hook up loops I would recommend 1700 & 1800.  1600 has a few difficult sites.  1900 is like being in the ghetto. When the refurbishing was done in 2008/09, they filled in the vast "trenches" in 1900 with SAND!!!  I've seen a few people go off the pads when backing into their site in 1900 & darn near get themselves stuck.

I hope this helps and not confuses!! :dance:

We were in the 800 loop this past 4th of July and did not have any problem, but I drive tractot trailers for work, and our friend was there also and he did fine. We did see a gentleman in a very large mh rub the low lightpost all the way down the side of is coach when he was leaving, never even stoped even with all the noise itr made.

Im sure he stopped once out of view of those who witnessed it. He was probably too embarased to think about getting out right then and there. And before you ask, no it wasnt me.

Or he didn't hear it and is one of "many" who should not be driving a large MH or towing..And yes I'm a little prejudiced since I have a Class "A" CDL...

I also had to get a Military License - now I have a Class B with Air Brakes, Passengers & Haz Mat endorsements ....  I get a good laugh watching some people try to back a trailer.  I also think that a regular License should have a trailer endorsement - and have a special license to drive the Class A RVs that are as large as the Class B's I can drive.

Dont give the government more reason to nikle and dime us. I do think that a course should be mandatory for anyone who buys a camper for the first time. I had my course when I got trained on tractor trailer for my job. It was actualy pretty extensive and had to do more than a civilian course would have required. So Im pretty comfortable towing my rig around. A 40 footer is not that big a deal for me. Though some of the sites at the fort challenged my backing skills some.

I agree with people getting trained when they purchase, after all in some states you have to take a course to get a motorcycle license.

On another note have you ever had to put someone's camper in their site for them, I have 1 friend that at least once a year that i will have to back in for him, really pisses him off because he always says that I make it look easy, he forgets that I back up sometimes20-30 times a night.

Ive had to help some folks back in, but never do it for them. If you cant back the thing up, you shouldnt have one. I do know some people who will not stay in any site other than a pull through. I do agree pull throughs are easy, but you will have to back that thing up one day, and if you do not have experience it could end badly.

Ive had to help some folks back in, but never do it for them. If you cant back the thing up, you shouldnt have one. I do know some people who will not stay in any site other than a pull through. I do agree pull throughs are easy, but you will have to back that thing up one day, and if you do not have experience it could end badly.

After getting cussed out one time for offering to help someone back their MH into a site (this was after about 15 minutes of watching him attempt to do it) we don't even offer anymore.  My DH says if they own it, they need to learn how to do it. 

Dblr - you are so right!  In Florida you have to take a motorcycle class so you can get either a motorcycle only license, or a motorcycle endorsement on your license.  Hmmmm.... a special license to drive a vehicle 600-1000lbs, but absolutely no training for a 32'-45' foot - multiple ton motor home.  It's never made any sense to me. 

For the record - I took the 1 day driving course at Lazy Days just so I could learn the proper way to do things.  I opted for the course rather than having my DH teach me because I knew Barney at L.D. wouldn't yell at me and call me by my secret name: "Dammit"!!  :rofl2:

My wife took the Lazy Days course. She described it to me and I didn't recognize any of the techniques, but it made her feel comfortable behind the wheel.

I think what is very useful is just go to an empty parking lot and practice turns, parallel parking, backing into a sites. Practice, practice, practice.

My wife took the Lazy Days course. She described it to me and I didn't recognize any of the techniques, but it made her feel comfortable behind the wheel.

I think what is very useful is just go to an empty parking lot and practice turns, parallel parking, backing into a sites. Practice, practice, practice.

Actually - what was taught was mostly what I already knew - especially how to make proper turns.  I can't tell you how many MH's in our development have damage to their basement doors and wheels because enough turning clearance wasn't allowed for.  (They should have taken the course!)

What Barney taught about how to back a rig made perfect sense.  I was the only one in our group that he allowed to back a rig into a site. (Brown-noser here!!)  His advice on how to use your mirrors and how to adjust them was spot-on!! Mirrors are your friends!!

He also said NOT to rely on your rear camera when backing - as it can be deceptive.