Epcot & BVD Interchange Improvements

Nothing too exciting but there was just an ERP application submitted for roadway improvements near Epcot.

Proposed Project:

The proposed interchange improvements consist of the widening of Epcot Center Drive and Buena Vista Drive, as well as several ramp realignments.  In addition, Buena Vista Drive has been designed to provide future bus lanes, within the median, from Backstage Lane to just east of Bonnet Creek Parkway.  Surface water management systems will serve the improvements.  The project will utilize two existing ponds (1400 and 1800) and four proposed ponds will be built to provide the required treatment (1200, 1500, 1600 & 2000).  Two floodplain compensation ponds (FPC-1 and FPC-2) will be constructed to compensate for the floodplain impacts due to the proposed interchange improvements.  The floodplain impacts are within existing depressional or wetland areas that are connected to the C-1 Canal.  To maintain existing flow patterns, the project will add two new culverts, one under Overpass Road and one under Buena Vista Drive.

http://my.sfwmd.gov/entsb/docdownload?object_id=0900eeea88631939

WBI

I had a hard time visualizing where this project is and whether it would have any impact on the Fort.

Looking at the map, it will definitely impact anyone heading from the Fort to DHS, Downtown Disney or Typhoon Lagoon.  And it will also impact anyone who wants to come and go via the "back way" bypassing the MK parking lot booths.

I reckon that whole area is going to be a congested mess for a while. 

Just in time for them to open Disney Springs:

road%20project_zpsdgifqdge.jpg

Brilliant.

TCD

I have been studying the plans for a half hour now and still shaking my head.  It looks like in a nutshell they are restricting access into WDW property and allowing more access out. What the Fort?

Both exit ramps NB Epcot Center Dr at Buena Vista will be eliminated.  A new WB Buena Vists to SB Epcot Center will be created as well as a new SB Epcot Center from Overpass access.

My only thought (and it's a stretch) is that they want most of the traffic on Epcot Center Dr to be for Epcot. Uggh.

• 2 weeks later...