Best campgrounds in Ohio and Western Pennsylvania?

We live in Northeast Ohio (Akron area) and can't seem to find a good campground around here. It seems that because there aren't a tron of options in this area, the local campground don't feel the need to make improvements on their properties as there isn't much competition to speak of. Prices up here are close to what the Fort charges (which is insane!) for a campground that isn't even comparable!

Does anyone know of any campgrounds in the area that are worth the time and money? I'm hoping there are just some that we haven't managed to find yet.

Thanks!

Hi there, we are in Pittsburgh, and there are a ton of cool campgrounds over here. We like the yogi bear in Mill Run, Pa, probably our favorite local spot, not cheap, but close to Ohiopyle area and 7 Springs. Look at Rivers Edge KOA- it's on the great allegheny passage bike trail and sits on the bank of the Yough river, we enjoyed it too. We have stayed at all of these as well, so check them out

Lampe Campground Erie

Vacationland at Goddard

Meadville/ Grove city KOA

Ohiopyle state Park.

And it's on out list but we never go because it's almost too close-

Racoon State Park.

Hope this helps

AP

• 3 weeks later...

You didn't really mention what you are interested in doing and if you require full hookup or not. Have you checked out any of the state park campgrounds? I've found that we actually prefer them to commercial CGs for short to medium excursions (think long weekend to 5 days). Check out Salt Fork, Mohican, Hocking Hills prehaps? Happy Camping! :)

You didn't really mention what you are interested in doing and if you require full hookup or not. Have you checked out any of the state park campgrounds? I've found that we actually prefer them to commercial CGs for short to medium excursions (think long weekend to 5 days). Check out Salt Fork, Mohican, Hocking Hills prehaps? Happy Camping! :)

State parks in Ohio can be hit or miss. We like some sites at Alum Creek and Shawnee. Deer creek is OK but there is not a lot near the CG. Have not been to East Harbor or Ceasers Creek but heard both are nice. AW Marion could be a nice campground but it doesnt look like it has much TLC since the day it was opened and there is almost no one ever in there (not friendly to rigs much over 20ft). Tar Hollow can take larger rigs but there are no pads for the trailer and rain makes everything soupy there. It seems that some SP CG's don't accommodate larger rigs well and most have few to no full hookup.

One thing you may want to try is the AEP Recreation Lands. You have to have a permit to camp but it is free from their website. Once you have the permit, you can camp at any of the campgrounds there for free. I think there are 5 to 6 of them. Never been there but I heard they have power but no full hookup.